Author Topic: Where are folks walking this weekend?  (Read 573342 times)

Lee R

Re: Where are folks walking this weekend?
« Reply #2880 on: 09:55:40, 09/02/20 »
Saturday was pretty good weather wise. Sunrise cloud, quickly cleared to blue skies, few nice fluffy white clouds started to come in about midday followed by some darker clouds a bit later :)

Local 6 mile wander around Priddy & Stockhill Woods.

Now sat here with a brew listening to the wind battering the house! :)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2881 on: 10:18:15, 09/02/20 »
I had a shortish walk around the village today. This was my first ‘proper’ walk-in over 18 months due to injury and illness. Flu and a chest infection over Christmas and New Year prevented me getting started then. I managed 4.6 miles at just over 4 mph, which is not based for an overweight, unfit 57 year old. It would have been longer and faster, but my Achilles and sciatica started to make an appearance, so I slowed down and shortened the walk.

Although I walked on pavements and single track roads, I got to see fields, woods and hills. Bennachie was wreathed in cloud, but the main summits of Mither Tap, Oxen Craig and Watch Craig put in the occasional appearance. I managed a brief glimpse of Balfluig Castle (built 1566) through the trees. I also visited ‘Rudolph’ the Aberdeen Angus. This is our nickname for the life size bronze statue of a bull commemorating the breed being started at nearby Tillyfour farm in the 1880s. He had his nose sprayed red and was covered with tinsel one Christmas. He also shared a nickname with David Beckham for a while and made is way into the national newspapers.  He has not been embellished in recent years.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2882 on: 11:30:54, 09/02/20 »
Nowhere, have you seen the weather !!!.
Storm Ciara is really battering Dyffryn.
The winds were high yesterday, and lashing with rain, and the wind has been gradually building in strength.

Thats what you get, when you live on the West coast, so close to the sea, very exciting weather.

The weather has been poor here on the West coast for most of the week, heavy rain, with occasional clear skies, but very unsettled.

Currently the winds are so strong, ive noticed a few trees are down, further up the valley

Still i bet there's a few mindless idiots attempting Snowdon, or probably Tryfan.

The storm is supposed to be passing over quickly, so currently i am tucked up nice and warm, watching the mayhem out to sea, and the ferocious winds below Moelfre.

My thoughts are going out to those poor souls who have to be out at sea in such poor weather.
« Last Edit: 11:42:49, 09/02/20 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2883 on: 12:03:56, 09/02/20 »
My thoughts are going out to those poor souls who have to be out at sea in such poor weather.
Seconded
I did my sea training on the Hong Kong guard ship.  We had to follow a typhoon sending half hourly weather reports.  It an experience I would not want to repeat. We lost the bridge wipers, the stanchions round the upper deck and bent the gun director that was mounted behind the bridge.  The sea even took the paint off.  My reports became a bit shorter when the Stephenson Screen bolted to the inside of the bridge wing disappeared over the side along with the thermometers leaving just the bolts.
Stay safe out there. Watch out for flying debris.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2884 on: 12:15:41, 09/02/20 »
Nowhere, have you seen the weather !!!.
Storm Ciara is really battering Dyffryn….

Yes, 108mph gusts were forecast by the Met Office for Cadair Idris.

Not so bad here in the South Lakes - been up Hampsfell this morning, a bit of a blow but nothing remarkable. Certainly not by Orkney standards, anyway.

..and yes, those forced to go to sea in such conditions deserve our thoughts and respect.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2885 on: 13:20:20, 09/02/20 »
Seconded
I did my sea training on the Hong Kong guard ship.  We had to follow a typhoon sending half hourly weather reports.  It an experience I would not want to repeat. We lost the bridge wipers, the stanchions round the upper deck and bent the gun director that was mounted behind the bridge.  The sea even took the paint off.  My reports became a bit shorter when the Stephenson Screen bolted to the inside of the bridge wing disappeared over the side along with the thermometers leaving just the bolts.
Stay safe out there. Watch out for flying debris.
The worst I have had is a force 9 gale on a mine hunter in the North Sea. I have landed at Aberdeen in 80 mph winds and that is something I won’t be rushing to repeat. (I was a passenger rather than a pilot).

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2886 on: 13:22:26, 09/02/20 »
I am supposed to have sealegs, as on my mothers side, all six of her distant relatives became Sea Captains.
Anyones who has read Aled Aimes book titled " Ships and Seamen of Anglesey" can read about them.

According to my late uncles research, one of them was even a Slave ship owner back in the early days of maritime history on the island.

As for sea legs, the ocean is supposed to be in my blood, but years ago, a friend who owns a yatch in Neyland marina, in Pembroke, took me up and down Milford Haven.

I was sick as a pig, and thats supposed to be sheltered water, not mid ocean.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2887 on: 13:29:44, 09/02/20 »
 :D Ah Orkney, Ive been there twice, a magical island, with so much history and archaeology.

If social history and ancient archaeology is not your cuppa, i can imagine growing up there as a child can be mighty boring.

Lets go adventuring, to live and breathe the history of the people who lived at the Ness of Brodgar.

The standing stones of Stennes, were mind blowing,  their just stones i hear you say, whats mind blowing about them, the countless Milena that those stones have been exposed to the savagery of the Orkney winds.

What stories of times gone past, could they tell. :D
Orkney, just love the place.

Currently my thoughts are with the owners of the Barra Beach hotel, on the western side of the isle of Barra in the Outer Hebrides.
The hotel is less than 100m from the teeth of the Atlantic, with no protection from the elements.

The owners were telling me, the wind regularly goes over 100mph during the winter months.

I like Orkney, a bit like Anglesey in some respects, but i bet the severity of the winter winds have to be experienced first hand, theres nowhere really to hide.

Now i know why the roof tiles of the Black House looked like paving slabs in size and weight, not for the looks i bet.

Now i wonder why i saw few trees on the islands.
« Last Edit: 13:40:06, 09/02/20 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2888 on: 18:17:05, 09/02/20 »
I ventured out on to Bodmin moor today.  The weather was shall we say interesting for an hour or so as the main front came through.  I took shelter behind sharp tor for over an hour and a half, where I enjoyed a cuppa watching the rain pass straight over above me whilst remaining dry as a bone.  Quite surreal.

Hadrian

« Reply #2889 on: 18:09:14, 14/02/20 »
Sunday’s planned walk was a Northumberland National Park circular walk along a section of the Roman Wall starting at Cawfields - around 7 miles. Unfortunately we have an amber rain warning for Northumberland on Sunday, so it’s postponed for a week.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2890 on: 09:34:15, 15/02/20 »
All group walks cancelled :(
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2891 on: 11:41:35, 15/02/20 »
Just back from a very wet 4.5 miles through woods and along lanes on South Cumbria - Storm Dennis has arrived with a vengeance!
« Last Edit: 11:46:00, 15/02/20 by richardh1905 »

watershed

« Reply #2892 on: 14:38:57, 15/02/20 »
Just got home before the rain. Did twelve miles on the road after a bus drop off. Very windy 55-59 mph, mostly on my back though. From Mail in Cunningsburgh taking the side roads to Aithsetter, Fladdabister, Quarf, Gulberwick, Hollanders Knowe and home.
« Last Edit: 15:50:24, 15/02/20 by watershed »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2893 on: 16:47:36, 15/02/20 »
Ah, Shetland. Wild up there - these people Sooth don't know the meaning of the word 'Storm'. :)

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2894 on: 18:03:20, 15/02/20 »
Ah, Shetland. Wild up there - these people Sooth don't know the meaning of the word 'Storm'. :)
We did in 1987, no power for 5 days. When making an insurance claim for freezer contents, it was suggested we should make jam with the fruit. I pointed out we had an electric cooker. Claim was paid.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy