Author Topic: TR Howtown to Hartsop  (Read 984 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
TR Howtown to Hartsop
« on: 13:32:15, 24/07/19 »
We started the day by leaving our car in the carpark in Hartsop. This is one of my favorite places to park, it is never full and the honesty box goes to the local school.
We then got a lift round to Glenridding, thanks Dad, and then the ferry over to Howtown where my son and I disembarked leaving my Dad and daughter to continue round the lake. It was a cool, grey morning with an occasional spot of rain leading us to sit inside during the boat trip.

Our first objective of the day was Hallin Fell which, while being a relative minnow, is quite a pull up. The views over Ullswater though are glorious.

Looking up Martindale and Boredale with our next top, Beda Fell, straight ahead.

The bridge over Howegrain Beck where we met 3 mature lady walkers discussing if it was time for lunch yet. It was 11.00am.

We took the path to Winter Crag farm and then, at the road, cut back under Winter Crag before joining the path on the top which would take us all the way along Beda Fell to Angle Tarn Pikes.
Looking back at Hallin Fell with Ullswater showing to either side of it.

Walking along the relatively low Beda Fell we decided that we had made the right route decision for the weather.
Looking to our right

and left.

We came down between the Angle Tarn Pikes to the tarn.

We had seen very few people but now, of the C2C path, there were many more. The first man we met stopped us for a chat, enquiring where we were going and were we'd been etc. He then asked if he was on the right path for High Street which he was but it doesn't bode well if you have to ask on an incredibly clear path in good visibility.

We left the main path to head up on to Brock Crags. We paused while 2 young ladies took photos by the cairn and chatted to us briefly and they then summit slugged us. This photo just cropping them out.

We rejoined the C2C path. The weather which had threatened with a few spots of rain all day was now worsening, as we came to the bottom of The Knott full waterproofs went on. Of course, as always, this guaranteed that the weather would improve and, as we dropped down to Hayeswater, they came off again.
We crossed the foot bridge over Hayeswater Gill and it started to rain, we ignored it. It rained more, we put our waterproofs back on.

You've already guessed haven't you. The rain stopped! In the valley it was sheltered and warm. We continued for a bit getting hot, sweaty and grumpy and then the waterproofs came off for a final time.

On down the track past the green roofed barn

and back to the car.

karl h

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Howtown to Hartsop
« Reply #1 on: 18:36:23, 24/07/19 »
That's a great route Ridge O0
It's always a pain walking in wet warm weather :(        sometimes I have just given up with the waterproofs and got wet then dried fairly quickly.
Glad to see you took a pic of the barn with grass on the roof as it's the law :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:50:14, 24/07/19 »

Nice walk. I always feel nostalgic about Ullswater as I stayed there so many times in my teenage years.

Interesting to see the trees growing on the islands within Angle Tarn - imagine how wild the fells would be if they weren't covered in 'mountain maggots'.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:04:34, 24/07/19 »
Thanks gents.

It's always a pain walking in wet warm weather :(  sometimes I have just given up with the waterproofs and got wet then dried fairly quickly.
It just wasn't quite warm enough for this tactic.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:43:02, 24/07/19 »
Great report Ridge  O0

I think at 11am it might have been time for first lunch  :)

I'm still laughing at your waterproofs on and off shenanigans  ;D It is a bleddy pain when the rain is stop/start. Yep, it is the law to take a photo of the Hartsop Barn, Karl is right (for once)  :D
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:14:21, 24/07/19 »

Thanks April

I think at 11am it might have been time for first lunch  :)
I think we convinced them that it wasn't lunch time it was actually time for morning coffee.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:00:37, 24/07/19 »
Great pics ridge O0
Ah hallin fell and angle tarn, two very popular wild camping magnets,
We stay well away  :D

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:48:48, 24/07/19 »
Great pics ridge O0 
Thanks Beefy.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 04:18:58, 28/07/19 »
Lovely photos Ridge :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***