Author Topic: Pennine Journey  (Read 3874 times)

Murphy

Pennine Journey
« on: 21:49:03, 25/05/17 »
Not that I'm counting or anything but 27 days until  our Pennine Journey _ 250 miles circular and camping each night  can't wait!  Will start and end at Horton in Ribblesdale rather than Settle just because it fits in better with travel plans.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Pennine Journey
« Reply #1 on: 17:42:52, 26/05/17 »
Ever since it came up as a thred a few months ago I've been thinking of this one. Still thinking!

Enjoy yourself!

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:21:17, 26/05/17 »

I went so far as to get the book and realise I already had the necessary maps.  It's on the list. 
Which way round are you going?

Murphy

« Reply #3 on: 20:20:25, 26/05/17 »
I went so far as to get the book and realise I already had the necessary maps.  It's on the list. 

We're going to go anticlockwise.   We've done it twice before so trying different camps this time.

Murphy

« Reply #4 on: 21:10:38, 26/05/17 »

By the way there are some slight route changes, see the PJ website. Also now able to take in the three Yorkshire peaks.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:34:46, 04/06/17 »
I've just made a decision to hike the Pennine Journey and I'm going to start on 13 June. Having done the Pennine Way before some of the route will already be familiar to me, so I'm hoping that a combination of the old and the new will be a pleasant experience for me. I'm not going to plan anything this time, I'm just going to muddle along and enjoy myself in as many pubs and coffee shops that I can. As always, I'm going to camp, both wild camping and staying on sites and when I get back home I can then go to my son's wedding with the warm glow of achievement still in my head.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:32:32, 04/06/17 »
Hope you're as lucky with the weather I was the last few weeks  O0
Where there's a will ...

Murphy

« Reply #7 on: 20:57:08, 04/06/17 »
Well I'll be 6 days behind you...third time on this route.  Enjoy

Murphy

« Reply #8 on: 16:14:06, 09/06/17 »
Gunwharfman

Which way round are you doing the Journey, do you have stops in mind or planned,  or are you playing it by ear so to speak?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:35:47, 09/06/17 »
I'm planning to hike anti-clockwise. I suppose its not that important but that's the way my head is telling me to go. In reality I could go either way if I so choose. Would you have a recommendation, do you think one way is better than the other? I'm starting next Tuesday and plan to spend the first night at the campsite in Horton. I have fond memories of that place. I once arrived there on a Sunday evening a few years ago and was chatting to the owner who offered me a whiskey and then more! That's when I learned the first rule of camping, do NOT attempt to erect your tent when drunk!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:40:13, 09/06/17 »
Sorry, and yes I'm going to play it by ear as I also do. I'm not good at planning good time keeping between two pre-planned stop points. I've tried it and I dislike the pressure to arrive at a certain place before the end of the day. I tried to do this on my recent 12 day trip to France, I arrived at one airport and planned to leave from another, it was a real hassle for me to plan it right. In the end I had to kick my heels for one whole day because I misjudged it.

Murphy

« Reply #11 on: 20:59:19, 09/06/17 »
Yes, I'm going anti clockwise too.  Also camping at Horton.  Its a lively site at weekends with his marquee in full swing but won't be too bad mid week.  Next stop Buckden. There's a cracking site attached to the farm there with a shower in the cowshed.  Pub is closed though although there's a licensed cafe there....enjoy

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:26:13, 16/06/17 »
For me, three interesting little observations about the Pennine Journey. As I walked from Settle to Horton I had to scamper away from a group of skitty cows, they almost got me but I managed to do a runner and jump over a stile. I camped in Horton and went to the pub, the barman was telling us all that on this very day a man had been trampled to death by cows in Sussex. He really enjoyed telling us that!

As I hiked towards Buckden (great camp site, great hostess) down a wide grassed hill I saw two women ahead of me, as I got closer I could see that one of them had an enormous camera on a large tripod. One of them shouted to me "hello, we've been waiting for you!"

She explained that they were from BBC Look North and were doing a piece on tree planting and conservation. The reason why they waited was because they saw me up above and I was the ONLY hiker that was around, so they did a short interview. Where I had come from and where was I going, why do I like hiking, you know the usual stuff. They then asked me to walk back about 20 paces then walk past them making out there wasn't a large camera glaring at me. I dutifully did as I was told, then said goodbye. The lady shouted "you should be on Look North tonight", did I care, no, I was more concerned to rest my aching legs and buy a pint at the local pub.

What I didn't tell the reporter was that I could see she'd just been eating a sandwich or similar because I could still see the food bits stuck in between her teeth! Mind you, her teeth were great!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 16:41:28, 16/06/17 »
Regards the Buckden camp site, right in the centre of the village. A very nice lady who owns it. Whilst the site grass is good, the toilets and showers are really good and spotless! The local pub the Buck Inn is closed for now, but if you hike the Pennine Journey you will pass another local pub beforehand. If you want a drink and/or a meal then do wander back, its just 15 minutes along a flat lane. The pub I believe also has a very good reputation, for both beer and food.The camp site owner offered to drive four of us there, which was nice! We all declined however, it was such a balmy evening, it was a pleasure to stroll there and back.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:14:08, 16/06/17 »

If that was the George at Hubberholme it is one of my favourite pubs.    50 years ago I had my first illicit cider there, the first of many happy visits.
I am following your Pennine Journey with interest.  It is high on my list of LDPs, hope to do it next year.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy