Author Topic: Devon Coast to Coast  (Read 1628 times)

Campingman

Devon Coast to Coast
« on: 16:40:15, 13/11/17 »
Thought we (wife & myself) would get one last walk in before clocks go back. Decided upon the Devon Coast to Coast; had to be with B&B's - walking with the wife.
What a rip off B&B's are on this walk.
Averaging £100 per night (as much as £110 where B&B has a monopoly) usually for a small box room with 'grubby' facilities; sharing the dining room with dogs allowed to sit on the chairs, being petted by barmaid/waiters whilst serving food/drinks, gnawing a large bone during breakfast; as many as 5 dogs in the dining area, dog in the lounge, in 5 of the places we stayed.
'Walkers' breakfast - 1 sausage, 1 rasher of bacon, half a tomato & a spoon full of scrambled egg, 1 round of toast - to walk 21 miles on!
We were at pains to ensure we cleaned our boots before arriving at accommodation points and we carried smart casual clothes + slippers so as not to sit around in our walking gear.
The B&B's we stayed at all said they cater for walkers.
The walk itself is good and we met some great people.
During previous LDW's we have stayed at some really excellent accommodation.

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: Devon Coast to Coast
« Reply #1 on: 09:32:44, 14/11/17 »
dogs allowed to sit on the chairs, being petted by barmaid/waiters whilst serving food/drinks, gnawing a large bone during breakfast; as many as 5 dogs in the dining area, dog in the lounge, in 5 of the places we stayed.

Sound just my sort of Pubs -proper job rural O0
but

[/quote]
'Walkers' breakfast - 1 sausage, 1 rasher of bacon, half a tomato & a spoon full of scrambled egg, 1 round of toast - to walk 21 miles on![/quote]
Perhaps the dogs had the other half ;)

Seriously, I'm sorry Devon disappointed so badly though not surprised at the cost. At least it was for a couple; B&Bing as a single is truly prohibitive. Was your route the extended version of the Two Moors Way?
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Campingman

« Reply #2 on: 13:16:46, 15/11/17 »
Extended version - yes. Known as The Devon Coast to Coast.

Dogs in pubs - yes.     Dogs in hotel dining rooms??  why would you take the poor dog into a hotel dining room and not give it anything to eat/drink???

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:15:26, 15/11/17 »
....why would you take the poor dog into a hotel dining room and not give it anything to eat/drink???

Umm, because it's already been fed  ???   It's only the same principle as feeding it at home ... on the floor in a bowl, in the kitchen, before your own meal, rather than at the dinner table, during your own meal  O0

"Poor" dog  ::) 

Phileas

« Reply #4 on: 19:00:40, 20/12/17 »
I did this one in 2012 on my own. I don't remember it being particularly expensive.

I'm sure I paid less than £40 per night on average (because I've never gone over that.)

I always go for the cheapest I can find but I don't remember any really grotty places. I think the worst place was a farm with a grumpy host and slightly dated accommodation.
Robin

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:33:54, 21/12/17 »
I did this one in 2012 on my own. I don't remember it being particularly expensive.
I'm sure I paid less than £40 per night on average (because I've never gone over that.)
I always go for the cheapest I can find but I don't remember any really grotty places. I think the worst place was a farm with a grumpy host and slightly dated accommodation.

Gosh, you did do well. Was it out of season?
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Phileas

« Reply #6 on: 16:28:17, 21/12/17 »
It was the end of August 2012.

I.e. the end of the wettest summer on record.

I mostly remember the mud... and the pain in my right ankle (tendonitis), and in my thigh, and a couple of other health issues I don't care to describe.  :-[

Other than that it was ok.

I usually somehow manage to keep average b&b costs comfortably below £40 but it's getting more difficult each year, obviously.
Robin

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy