Author Topic: Satmap Active 20 - Mistake?  (Read 10742 times)

Addingham

Re: Satmap Active 20 - Mistake?
« Reply #15 on: 16:46:33, 14/02/18 »

As for why Garmin don't use vectors they do for many of their maps but not the OS ones. I suspect it's either an OS requirement or too expensive to convert them to vector maps.

That's the only gripe I have about Garmin UK OS mapping. Why not vector for the UK? Can't be due to OS as they licence their vector mapping and does not need converting. My best bet is the vastly cheaper mapping for the UK is raster. Garmin have lost a lot of pennies by using rasters in the UK. ;)

mow1701

« Reply #16 on: 16:49:17, 15/02/18 »
Well I’m going to stand up for satmap. I’ve had a satmap 10 from new for many years. I’ve never had button fall off and is completely reliable. I do keep it in the rugged case but when in use I’ve got a chest pocket or stash it in a stretch pocket I can access without taking the rucksack off. I like the large screen which gives a better viewable area of maps which subsequently Garmin have latched on to. The buttons and toggles are great for when wearing gloves compared to touchscreen. The support and service from Satmap is excellent compared to Garmin. All of my friends use them and certainly don’t have the negative experiences expressed here thus far.
 Satmap has survived and is on its thirds incarnation because it’s seen as a good by many walker(in my opinion) otherwise it would have shut up shop.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 15:19:38, 19/02/18 »
I lost a couple of the grey button but have not lost any of the orange ones since its last service over ayear ago. Basically no real problems, still love it.

Seferix

« Reply #18 on: 16:07:08, 19/02/18 »
Ive had an Active 10 since they first came out and it was superb in every respect. Never failed on me and lasted years. I recently upgraded to Active 20 and very pleased with it. Nice big, sharp and bridge screen. High Resolution Maps looks amazing and battery life is excellent. Been out on a full days walk and only went down 20%.

Seems like its hit and miss but i would give it 100%
214 Wainwrights Completed Once, 173 a Second

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/channel/UCMk8fw1H8m1Mm8jl9kjaDLQ

Addingham

« Reply #19 on: 18:26:22, 19/02/18 »
I lost a couple of the grey button but have not lost any of the orange ones since its last service over ayear ago. Basically no real problems, still love it.

Brilliant. Maybe, I will get another service. Although I have twigged out to make sure the said buttons don't come adrift. ;)

Maybe, I ended up with a Monday morning built Satmap. Or am I a bit ham fisted?  ;D
« Last Edit: 18:29:54, 19/02/18 by Addingham »

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 21:59:36, 13/09/19 »
I hope it`s ok ressurecting this thread. I have been toying with the idea of buying a satmap GPS. There are a few for sale second hand on E Bay and Amazon. I also saw what appeared to be a genuine SD card with the whole of GB at 1/25k scale Ordnance survey mapping..while I was contemplating buying it, as it seemed a real bargain....it went for £100 as a buy it now on E bay...cheap as chips..
I use a smart phone & an etrex 20x at the moment so do not really need another toy...but you know what it`s like... ;) I`m just curious about the pros and cons if anyone uses or has used them..I see some satmap 12/s for what seems reasonable prices, but then of course the OS mapping is very pricey...Is it easy to download GPX routes etc
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 23:31:01, 13/09/19 »
I hope it`s ok ressurecting this thread. I have been toying with the idea of buying a satmap GPS. There are a few for sale second hand on E Bay and Amazon. I also saw what appeared to be a genuine SD card with the whole of GB at 1/25k scale Ordnance survey mapping..while I was contemplating buying it, as it seemed a real bargain....it went for £100 as a buy it now on E bay...cheap as chips..
I use a smart phone & an etrex 20x at the moment so do not really need another toy...but you know what it`s like... ;) I`m just curious about the pros and cons if anyone uses or has used them..I see some satmap 12/s for what seems reasonable prices, but then of course the OS mapping is very pricey...Is it easy to download GPX routes etc

Hi. I've been using a Satmap Active 20 for a couple of years. There are a couple of minor niggles that I've become used to, but I wouldn't be without it.

Niggles:
1. The battery pack is a pain to pull out. On the other hand, I've only swapped the battery for a backup a couple of times in 100s of outings. The pack needs to be removed to swap map cards, but I bought the 1/25k GB card some time ago and so that's not an issue now.
2. If I switch the unit on to check the battery level the evening before a walk then switch it off again the battery occasionally drains overnight. I think switching it off before it's properly booted up causes the problem. Leaving it for a couple of minutes before powering it off seems to have sorted that issue.
3. The small rubber flap covering the USB connector is tricky to put back if it comes loose. But if handled carefully, it doesn't. (I mention the flap because I know many people complain about it!)

I paid £154 for the new GB card from Satmap; they often do special offers. BTW, I bought the GB card because I started with a Kent card, then I bought a Cotswolds card... and a few more. I figured I'd end up spending a lot more than £154 if I kept that up!

It's extremely easy to transfer GPX routes to the Active 20. Both the internal memory and the card appear as drives on a PC and files are copied in the usual way.

I love the Active 20. It's tough, waterproof and extremely easy to use.  O0
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 07:06:57, 14/09/19 »
The satmap 20 will do nothing more than your Etrex so I think it would be a waste of money ... is there any reason why you would want another GPS?
Where there's a will ...

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 08:19:42, 14/09/19 »

I have a Satmap 10 and 100% happy.
Never had a button fall off & never had it 'mist up'.

I sent it in for a software update and they changed the buttons and antenna whilst it was there.

'Normal' usage is simple and intuitive but it has so many additional features that are rarely used it is difficult to remember how to access them.

I have 'all of the UK' on Platinum cards (North & South)  which give scales of 1:10,000 - 1:25,000 - 1:50,000 (picked up on ebay for £50 each)

It lives in its little 'bag' on my waist belt for easy access.

Satmap gets my vote.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 08:37:03, 14/09/19 »
Hi. I've been using a Satmap Active 20 for a couple of years. There are a couple of minor niggles that I've become used to, but I wouldn't be without it.

I love the Active 20. It's tough, waterproof and extremely easy to use.  O0
Thanks Dave...nice review ! Is the 1/25 card you mentioned the full Ordnance survey one..? that is a great price..

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 08:42:15, 14/09/19 »
The satmap 20 will do nothing more than your Etrex so I think it would be a waste of money ... is there any reason why you would want another GPS?
I guess that. There is no rational reason apart from I get hooked on things at times and GPS units fascinate me.  :)
I suppose one reason is the decent size of screens on the satmap units. I have a tough phone and its a tad small for looking at the big picture, when you want to see where you are in relation to (say) ten miles round..I do print of a tile of the area sometimes and that suffices..except of late I have forgotten to do even that. :-\
I still enjoy using the etrex because of its small size...a bit of a paradox I know..but I use it mainly for quick checks to make sure I am where I planned to be..and it is so light.
I have a Satmap 10 and 100% happy.
Never had a button fall off & never had it 'mist up'.

I sent it in for a software update and they changed the buttons and antenna whilst it was there.

'Normal' usage is simple and intuitive but it has so many additional features that are rarely used it is difficult to remember how to access them.

I have 'all of the UK' on Platinum cards (North & South)  which give scales of 1:10,000 - 1:25,000 - 1:50,000 (picked up on ebay for £50 each)

Great prices for those cards! & you do hear satmaps can be tricky to use but from what you say, and I thought to be honest, can be no more complicated than an etrex...thanks
« Last Edit: 09:33:53, 14/09/19 by GinAndPlatonic »

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 09:44:11, 14/09/19 »
Thanks Dave...nice review ! Is the 1/25 card you mentioned the full Ordnance survey one..? that is a great price..

Yes, sorry, it's a genuine OS map.  :)

I forgot to mention that Satmap do customised maps as well which can save money. For example, if I lived on the border of three counties I could order a map of centred on where I live and choose the dimensions - much cheaper than buying three county maps.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 10:05:22, 14/09/19 »

I've not used an eTrex 20x so, unlike you, I'm at a disadvantage when trying to compare the two. I can however add a bit more on what I like about the Active 20...

I like having a large touchscreen. I carry the unit in my hand nearly all the time and use just my thumb for all normal operations. A slight movement of my thumb wakes the screen. There are on-screen 'buttons' to zoom in and out (and 'in' goes in very close). Scrolling the screen (with my thumb!) gives the distance between my location and where I've scrolled to. I can call up an elevation chart and know what's coming in terms of ascent or descent. I can set the map 'my direction up' or 'north up'. I can display data panels from a vast selection that I've pre-selected (e.g. distance to end, battery remaining, etc.). All this and much more by using my thumb without changing my grip.

Rain can affect the touchscreen. It's rarely necessay, but if it is I switch the touchscreen facility off and use the actual buttons instead.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 11:06:59, 14/09/19 »
I've not used an eTrex 20x so, unlike you, I'm at a disadvantage when trying to compare the two. I can however add a bit more on what I like about the Active 20...

I like having a large touchscreen. I carry the unit in my hand nearly all the time and use just my thumb for all normal operations. A slight movement of my thumb wakes the screen. There are on-screen 'buttons' to zoom in and out (and 'in' goes in very close). Scrolling the screen (with my thumb!) gives the distance between my location and where I've scrolled to. I can call up an elevation chart and know what's coming in terms of ascent or descent. I can set the map 'my direction up' or 'north up'. I can display data panels from a vast selection that I've pre-selected (e.g. distance to end, battery remaining, etc.). All this and much more by using my thumb without changing my grip.

Rain can affect the touchscreen. It's rarely necessay, but if it is I switch the touchscreen facility off and use the actual buttons instead.
I was out of action for a few months. When I took my first few walks, I went to touch the etrex screen as if to move the map from habit....I must admit although I love the etrex it is beginning to feel a tad outdated at times. The ability to move the map about by touch is a boon. It is something I like on my tough phone with the OS mapping

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy