Author Topic: Cumbria Way  (Read 8179 times)

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
Cumbria Way
« on: 23:20:14, 17/02/18 »
Hi need to get back to walking training again, though I walk a couple of miles most days, talking about decent lengths.
Ive just booked this May's trip along the Cumbria Way nice and easy over 7 1/2 days time to explore Keswick.

1 1/2 day Ulverston to Lowick Bridge bus to Coniston yha copper mines
2 bus to Lowick Bridge walk to Coniston yha Holly How
3 walk to Elterwater hostel
4 walk to Borrowdale yha
5 walk to Keswick  yha
6 walk to Skidaw Hause
7 walk to Hudscales camping barn
8 walk to Carlisle.

Any tips or recommendations!
Great things are done when women and mountains meet.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
Re: Cumbria Way
« Reply #1 on: 10:14:15, 18/02/18 »

It's a lovely walk, and that sounds a very comfortable timescale.
Skiddaw House is a great place to stay, but remember you need to take some food in.  As I remember, they will sell you a bottle of beer though, and provide some breakfast if you ask in advance.  There's a farm, I think it's just before you head down the hill towards Little Langdale, we went wrong there, and missed the sharp turn right towards Elterwater.  I can't remember whether it is that farm or the next one, but it does a wonderful tea and scone.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:27:10, 18/02/18 »
It's a lovely walk, and that sounds a very comfortable timescale.
Skiddaw House is a great place to stay, but remember you need to take some food in.
You don’t need to take food to Skiddaw House - they will sell you rice or pasta and some sort of meal to go with it (a tin or pouch of curry for example) but it’s not cheap. As it’s only 3 or 4 miles from Keswick I would grab some stuff in Booths.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:01:49, 18/02/18 »
The Cumbria Way is a lovely walk, I did it in July 2016 in 4 days. Insert self promoting link here, lol... http://www.brians-walks.co.uk/cumbria-way.html

Some of your days will be quite short ones but I imagine you already know this. Coniston to Elterwater, Borrowdale to Keswick and Hudscales to Carlisle are relatively easy, the latter 2 almost flat. It'll be quite quick going so remember that some of the Hostels reception might not be open before 5pm  O0

Skidaw House is a lovely quiet place to stay with great views, they don't have power sockets (even in the kitchen area) but if you ask the warden, he'll charge up a phone for you (you won't get a reception there so you probably won't use it there).

It's very scenic in places but don't forget to look behind you as well to admire it. I particularly enjoyed the walk between Elterwater to Borrowdale through the valley and the walk from Keswick to Skiddaw House will have you admiring the scenery behind you  O0

You'll probably find that your first day isn't that scenic as it's quite a lot through farmland but trust me, it gets good  :)
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:54:42, 18/02/18 »
Yes a very good walk, when I did it it was almost continous rain. When I walked through lots of ferns at the southern end of Coniston Water I was overwhelmed for a short while by tiny midges that came out from under the leaves. I had to break into a trot just to get away. They were all over me!

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:47:35, 18/02/18 »
Thanks love tea rooms. We generally self cater my very mature friend usually carries my food in the car she says she's too old to backpack but she's going to join me she can manage 3 miles. I'll have to carry in something for dinner and packed lunch. Looks like a good opportunity to use my dehydrator to reduce the weight.
A couple of short sections look familiar, the shore of Coniston and the borrowdale to Keswick, I've done the Newlands Horseshoe years ago too with my ex but not summit ed Cat bells so may take a detour.
I remember Keswick being lovely too so time to windows shop.

Looks like time to walk chill out in a few tea room and a bit of sightseeing too. Easy to moderate terrain, I don't mind farm land that's the same where I live still pleasant walking. Enjoyed reading the blog Brian thanks. It seems to be on the edge of the  osmaps whatsw the best guide book/map so I can just take one?
« Last Edit: 21:29:37, 18/02/18 by madame cholet »

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:44:56, 18/02/18 »
I used the Harvey strip map for my journey and I had the Cicerone guide as well as downloading the route to my GPS and only made 1 mistake when I ended up on the opposite side of the River before Carlisle (seemingly a common occurrence) and had to hack my way through a jungle that had overgrown the path on that side  :D

The Ramblers site will also keep you updated about diversions etc (none at the moment ) http://www.ramblers.org.uk/go-walking/group-finder/areas/lake-district/the-cumbria-way.aspx
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #7 on: 08:37:01, 19/02/18 »
Thanks love tea rooms. We generally self cater my very mature friend usually carries my food in the car she says she's too old to backpack but she's going to join me she can manage 3 miles. I'll have to carry in something for dinner and packed lunch. Looks like a good opportunity to use my dehydrator to reduce the weight.

There's really no need to carry any food into Skiddaw House, as they will provide everything you need.   Given that the Wardens have to transport everything into Skiddaw House themselves, I think what they offer is really good value and isn't expensive at all.   Have a look at this page on their website:

https://www.skiddawhouse.co.uk/food--drink

Breakfast £3.50
DIY Packed Lunch - £3.50
DIY Evening Meal - £4.50

They are also fully licensed and sell a range of wines, spirits and local beers. 

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:39:08, 19/02/18 »

I'm obviously out of date with Skiddaw house.  Actually, when we were there (a few years ago now) we lugged some pasta and stuff over from Keswick only to find that there was loads of food left by previous visitors that the wardens were desperate to get rid of.  And we were very grateful for the beer.
It was a surprisingly cold night, and we were also grateful to find a pile of hot water bottles on a windowsill!

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #9 on: 10:51:10, 19/02/18 »
If you haven't been to Skiddaw House for a few years, then I think you'd be really surprised if you went back there now.  New Wardens took over two years ago and they have really improved the place.   

Not only has the food and drink on offer improved, but the bedrooms are all now carpeted and decorated.   The combined kitchen and common room have been smartened up and there's a lovely new wood burning stove.   The place is really lovely and rustic and just brilliant.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186327-d2486422-Reviews-YHA_Skiddaw_House-Keswick_Lake_District_Cumbria_England.html

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 10:57:34, 19/02/18 »
You are all making me think I fancy doing the Cumbria Way again!

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 11:00:23, 19/02/18 »
Have to agree with you Lakeland Lorry - I was a bit harsh on the pricing at Skiddaw House - I just know there are quite a few people here who are, shall we say, 'thrifty'.

I was there last March - it snowed 2 foot during the first night I was there - had a great day out on the Northern Fells and an excellent evening with 5 of us, and 5 sets of clothes, huddled round the stove in the lounge.

bobdole

« Reply #12 on: 18:15:19, 19/02/18 »
Walked the Cumbria Way last year. Nice walk. I walked from Carlisle to Ulverston. Last day wasn't enjoyable. Face off with bull, rain and farmland was bad.  Other than that I really enjoyed it. I did a video series on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqHaSIcKW3o
Follow me on my hikes and watch old hikes I have completed.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrPMQRA4-rZiec21396zeVQ

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:15:24, 19/02/18 »
I self cater to keep down the cost and will take loads of food in my friends car so ill probably carry in something light like dehydrated tomato sauce and vegetables off my allotment with pasta and an extra packed lunch.  The reviews for Skidaw house are very good it's owned by a charity now. I understand why they charge high prices for stuff to keep it open.

The description mentions the wood burner and hot water bottles home from home.

« Last Edit: 20:18:47, 19/02/18 by madame cholet »

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 16:06:18, 21/02/18 »
Ive done the CW several times and in both directions. Last time I made the same mistake as Bricam and crossed the bridge to the other side of the river on the approach to Carlisle. I have always used that path, but after that last overgrown experience, I would keep to the left hand side of the river until the later bridge after the weir.
Last time too for a change I opted for the lower level route past Whitewater Dash from Skiddaw House. The better and most interesting although slightly more demanding is the High Pike route. The WD route I found just plain boring.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy