Author Topic: [TR] POW Camp 116 Hatfield Heath  (Read 1136 times)

pleb

• Veteran Member
Re: [TR] POW Camp 116 Hatfield Heath
« Reply #1 on: 09:50:30, 09/03/18 »
Blimey, you take enough pics!  O0
Think those cars are beyond saving though................... ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:38:52, 09/03/18 »
Interesting TR, now spending more time in the London suburbs, grandparenting duties, so interesting destinations such as this could be on my to do list.
Some interesting WW2 remains in Shropshire from the Central Ammunition Dump at
Nesfliffe, takes a little trip off the righteous way to see these relics in their best light.

I grew on a farm and we had a couple of PoWs working, if I remember right, named Hans and Hass. Hans was the nice one and Hass was a right nazi, they were with us until the early 1950's. Hans came back to visit us one summer in the 1960's, driving a large German car, and doing very well. Said being a PoW on our farm was the best part of the war.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

cpjmathieson

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:38:27, 09/03/18 »
Interesting TR, now spending more time in the London suburbs, grandparenting duties, so interesting destinations such as this could be on my to do list.
Nesfliffe, takes a little trip off the righteous way to see these relics in their best light.

I grew on a farm and we had a couple of PoWs working, if I remember right, named Hans and Hass. Hans was the nice one and Hass was a right nazi, they were with us until the early 1950's. Hans came back to visit us one summer in the 1960's, driving a large German car, and doing very well. Said being a PoW on our farm was the best part of the war.

Thank you. Its on Mill Lane if you go. Like to hear stories like yours. Where was your farm?

cpjmathieson

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:40:16, 09/03/18 »

I grew on a farmi and we had a couple of PoWs working, if I remember right, named Hans and Hass. Hans was the nice one and Hass was a right nazi, they were with us until the early 1950's. Hans came back to visit us one summer in the 1960's, driving a large German car, and doing very well. Said being a PoW on our farm was the best part of the war.

Thanks.  Its on Mill Lane if you go. I like hearing stories like yours. Where was your farm?

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:43:08, 10/03/18 »

Where was your farm?

In the county of Shropshire, just east Shrewsbury. It was where I learnt to walk, though I did not know that at the time. I large farm garden, where a very elderly pensioner swore and spat at everything and I learnt to follow suit. Soon discovered the orchard beyond where a pensioned off cart horse gave us a few uncomfortable brushes with equestrian manoeuvres, there was a river, the Severn was a mile away. A hill a mile away in another direction, a number of woods, with two keepers to outwit and a canal and tunnel that had been the scene of a murder.

I always thought it was mountaineering and rock climbing that had taught me to walk, but now realise I learnt a lot more long before that.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy