Author Topic: TR Watch Hill and Setmurthy Common Tue 13 Mar 18  (Read 1057 times)

April

• Veteran Member
I went to Cockermouth on Tuesday. It's one bus there and one bus back, an hour each way from Carlisle and you have almost 4 hours to do a walk. You have to be careful to catch the bus at 14.35 as the next one isn’t until 18.45. I set a brisk pace going up Watch Hill.

Watch Hill ahead

Looking across to the Vale of Lorton, Mellbreak can just be seen

It was warm and although the cloud was low there were still some nice views

The obligatory shot of the tree and gate post

On Watch Hill looking to Setmurthy Common

Zooming in on Lorton Vale

Setmurthy Common ahead

Toward Sale Fell from Setmurthy Common

Looking back at the stile that leads into the woods at Setmurthy Common

I had set a faster pace than I thought I would and reached here in an hour, 4.5km and 250m ascent, not bad but the ground is easy walking.

When I reached the forest road after descending the path from the stile, I turned right down the forest road for no other reason than I’d not been down there before! I had planned to use the footpath to Elva Plain to get to the lane that leads to Brathay Hill but changed my mind.

On the forest road in Setmurthy Common

I stopped for some lunch in the trees near the road. It was cooler in the trees, there was a cold pocket of air here. I wish I'd stopped on Setmurthy Common summit it was warmer! Now this is when the day started to unravel. After my lunch I set off eastward toward Brathay Hill where I was going to catch the X4/X5 back to Cockermouth. Until a “Road Ahead Closed” sign stopped me in my tracks. “No Through Road” it said. If I’d stuck to my original route and got to Elva Plain a bit further along I might have had to retrace my steps and I might have missed my bus from Cockermouth. I took a right down a lane that lead to Lambfoot, passing Cockermouth Golf Club on the way, I could catch the X4/X5 from there instead.

Skiddaw and Sale Fell from the club house

Sale Fell, Broom Fell and Ling Fell

Another road sign at Lambfoot said that road was closed too, but the workmen were letting the buses through. The bus came and I arrived in Cockermouth with an hour and 15 minutes until my next bus to Carlisle. I got some shopping in Sainsburys then had a walk along the River Cocker southward toward Oakhurst.

River Cocker

Ling Fell, Graystones and Fellbarrow

I retraced my steps back to Cockermouth once I’d passed the sad looking Double Mills YH, it is boarded up but is up for sale and under offer. I got to the bus stop at 14.30, 5 minutes before the 600 was due. I waited for forty minutes and it didn’t turn up. I sent a text to beefy asking him to check stagecoach twitter for any info on the whereabouts of the 600 bus but there was nothing on there. Instead of the one bus direct to Carlisle it took 3 different buses to get there in the end. I went via Keswick and Penrith. I had time for some tea and cake in Booths in Keswick so it wasn’t all doom and gloom  :)

Booths chocolate fudge cake is a bigger slice than Mrs F’s, very nice but not quite as nice as Mrs F’s.

I was in luck with the last bus, it was the 104 that goes up the M6 after High Hesket and the driver dropped me off at the first stop on the A69 so I could get home quicker by walking than if I’d had to wait for yet another bus from town.

My walk was Cockermouth - Watch Hill - Setmurthy Common - Cockermouth Golf Club - Lambfoot, bus to Cockermouth, then walk to Oakhurst and back 13.2km with 260m ascent. If you add the 1.2km walk from the bus top it was 14.4km altogether.

It took 2 hours more than it should have to get home. Not the relaxing day out I’d hoped for really, with the road closures and missing bus!
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Watch Hill and Setmurthy Common Tue 13 Mar 18
« Reply #1 on: 18:04:21, 15/03/18 »
Great pics Ape  O0
What ya doing eating cake without me  :(
Thats going on the banned list  ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:08:40, 15/03/18 »
What ya doing eating cake without me  :(

I was cheering myself up  :) Bleddy buses..........
Hate will never win

photonut

« Reply #3 on: 18:30:11, 15/03/18 »
A nice TR April. The clouds over Skiddaw and Sale Fell look quite menacing... great pics  O0

Shame about all the shenanigans with the buses but at least it provided a good excuse for Chocolate Fudge Cake  ;D

Cheers
Lee

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:53:34, 15/03/18 »
So annoying when transport lets you down. Great photos though.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:09:14, 15/03/18 »
Deja vu again.................... ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:13:11, 16/03/18 »
Very nice photos April    :)    Like the billowy clouds   

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:59:26, 16/03/18 »
at least it provided a good excuse for Chocolate Fudge Cake  ;D

Thanks photonut, I'm thinking of an excuse for tomorrow  :D

So annoying when transport lets you down. Great photos though.

Thanks Ridge  :) I am still annoyed about it....... I may have to have cake in Mrs F's tomorrow to make me feel better

Deja vu again.................... ;D

::)

Very nice photos April    :)    Like the billowy clouds   

Thanks Dovegirl  :)
Hate will never win

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:35:16, 16/03/18 »
Looked a lovely walk April and some nice photos, well done  O0  Planning on the hoof due to unforeseen problems is one of the little challenges that makes the walk seem worthwhile and needs a bit of cake as a reward.  :D

Regards Keith

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:55:47, 17/03/18 »
Looks like a nice walk, April, and you got some lovely pictures.  O0

I've stayed in Cockermouth a couple of times because there was a cheap hotel there, but we just used it as a base to drive out to the fells around Derwent Water. I've never done any walking directly out of the town itself. The views from where you were look great.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:16:02, 17/03/18 »
Nice cake err........trip report April  ::)

Using public transport puts planning and executing a walk into another dimension, which isn’t always easy, and I take my hat off (if I had one on) to you.

I take a lot for granted planning walks from a car. Us drivers just gotta find a space to park first  :(
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:30:25, 17/03/18 »
Nice photos April, good to see Lakeland fells from another angle O0

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:11:01, 19/03/18 »
Lovely pics O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 12:29:22, 19/03/18 »
Thanks WR  O0

@ adalard, there is a bit of a walk along a road before you get to the start of the Watch Hill, a mile or so I think. Cockermouth is a nice town but is a place to get on a bus from or use a car to do any walking really, like you say.

Nice cake err........trip report April  ::)

Thanks  ;D It is a bit of a pain using the buses and does limit where you can go on a day walk. That is why we go wild camping so much, we cant wait for it to warm up.

Thanks henry and sunnydale  O0

Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy