Author Topic: Black Crag, Lingmoor Fell and Holme Fell  (Read 1970 times)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Black Crag, Lingmoor Fell and Holme Fell
« on: 19:54:49, 25/03/18 »
I spend a long weekend in Buttermere last week, did some great walking but took very few pictures as I was not prepared to take my gloves off during the "chilly" mini beast from the East.

This week was a complete contrast - no jacket at any time of the walk, beautiful spring sunshine and a gentle breeze!

Parked up at Glen Mary Bridge and forgot to pay or scan my NT card - luckily nobody seemed to care!  First point of interest was Tarn Hows which looked lovely in the early morning before the crowds arrived;

Next stop was Black Crag - what a wonderful little fell this is - lovely walk up and fabulous views in all directions.  My mate Pete looked a bit sceptical when I pinted Lingmoor fell out as the next stop!  I think I took this on Black Crag but could well be wrong - Langdale Pikes looking rather majestic;

We then descended to Little Langdale and due to some poor planning by yours truly, had to pound some tarmac.  We started the climb of Lingmoor just past the farm at Dale End, where the farmer, or his wife, had left a tray of home made cakes out at £1 per hit.  Very yum.  Unfortunately there were a couple of summit slugs on Lingmoor Fell - they just refused to budge, so we had to actually ask them to shift over a bit so that we could touch the cairn - we muttered naughty words  >:( .  However, the views were incredible - the sky was virtually cloud free by now.

Bow Fell and companions looking majestic.

We then retraced our route to Little Langdale before walking up the lanes to Hodge Close and the disused quarry - I didn't know this was here and it made a spectacular picture, which I forgot to take.

From here it is an easy climb to Holme Fell and more stunning views of the surrounding fells and of Coniston Water

Being a bit tired we made a navigational error on the way down and found ourselves approaching "difficult" ground so there was a bit more cussing and a detour round the summit of Holme Fell.  We were glad to see the car by the end!

This is a walk I don't think I would have done were it not for my desire to complete the Wainwrights, but it is certainly one I would go back to - the views were lovely and I am just sorry that we chatted too much and snapped too little.

My route was Glen Mary Bridge car park - Tarn Hows - Black Crag - Little Langdale - Lingmoor Fell - Little Langdale - Stang End - Hodge Close - Holme Fell - Glen Mary Bridge - around 14 1/2 miles and a bit of up and down - fantastic.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Black Crag, Lingmoor Fell and Holme Fell
« Reply #1 on: 20:12:52, 25/03/18 »
Great photos.
One of the things I like about slowly ticking off the Wainwrights is that it sends you up lovely hills you may otherwise have never considered climbing.

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:14:24, 25/03/18 »
Lovely photos and your TR goes to show you don’t need to climb the high fells for good walking and views.
I think Lingmoor is a gem - the view of all of the Langdale Fells is breathtaking. Then detour to Side Pike via fat man’s agony is fun. Next time you’re there, take in Cathedral Cavern - it’s quite special!

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:41:07, 25/03/18 »
Really nice photos O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:30:30, 26/03/18 »
Thanks for the comments - it was one of those walks that you're not expecting a great deal from and it turns out to be great!

And thanks for the heads up Sarah - they both look good fun - next time I'll make the detours - I'm staying in Elterwater in June for a week so I'll take in Side Pike and Cathedral Cavern then.

Paul

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:47:22, 26/03/18 »
Great write up and lovely photos pdstsp  O0

This area is very nice and we never mind coming back here when the weather isn't great for the higher fells  :)
Hate will never win

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:50:57, 26/03/18 »
Excellent photos and looked like an absolutely beautiful day.

Sometimes it’s nice to get a different perspective of the bigger fells, you can’t see them fully when you’re actually on them if you see what I mean.  ;)
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:04:23, 01/04/18 »
Thanks for the comments - it was one of those walks that you're not expecting a great deal from and it turns out to be great!

And thanks for the heads up Sarah - they both look good fun - next time I'll make the detours - I'm staying in Elterwater in June for a week so I'll take in Side Pike and Cathedral Cavern then.

Paul

Paul - here's a link to my thread from last year when we stayed at the New Dungeon Ghyll. There is a TR towards the bottom of the first page. http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=34597.0 The pub crawl walk was great!!!

If you search my name, there is also a thread from the previous year when we stayed at Three Shires in Little Lnagdale - can't remember how much of a TR there is but we had some good and varied walking which included Lingmoor, Cathedral Cavern etc .

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:43:37, 02/04/18 »
Great photos O0  I did those fells last year, that view of the Langdale pikes and the Fairfield Horseshoe from Black crag is one of my favourites :)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:43:38, 02/04/18 »
Thanks everyone - love that pub crawl walk Sarah - may be able to persuade Mrs pdstsp to join me on that one!  We are staying about 20 yards from the Brittania Inn so that one looks like base camp  ;D .

Jontea - I know what you mean - it may sound stupid, but it is quite "immersive" being on the top of the smaller fells surrounded by the big ones.  Looking out the window today that weather seems an awfully long time ago.

Cheers Henry and April - much appreciated.

photonut

« Reply #10 on: 15:35:35, 02/04/18 »
Ooo not sure how I missed this one!!

Nice TR Paul.  Really like the pic of Bowfell, it looks so imposing.

It's so annoying when people just sit on a summit and don't let others get a piccy  >:(   You'd think people would know better!!

Cakes at a quid... what a bargain (even for a Wezzie  ;D  )

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:04:57, 02/04/18 »
Nice one, not done anything round that part. Looks good, cheers  O0

Seferix

« Reply #12 on: 09:08:01, 04/04/18 »
Lovely photos. Love the Langdale Pikes!
214 Wainwrights Completed Once, 173 a Second

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/channel/UCMk8fw1H8m1Mm8jl9kjaDLQ

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy