Author Topic: Where next?  (Read 1459 times)

MrMike

Where next?
« on: 08:59:47, 30/05/18 »
I’m off on another walk this August and I’m trying to work out where to go. I was wondering if you lovely people would be able to suggest a couple for me?

I’ve 9 waking days to use and was looking to do a long distance path. I’ve done a few already (Hadrian’s Wall, South Downs Way, West Highland Way, SWCP from Minehead to st Ives, Norfolk coastal path). Pace wise I probably average 15 - 20 miles a day, less if there’s a lot of up and down!

I’d thought of doing part of the C2C or Pennine way but I think I’d rather do them all in one go some other time.

At the moment my shortlist is the Cleveland Way or the Dingle way over in Ireland. I’ve just done a big chunk of the SWCP so I’m after something a little different (similar to the WHW perhaps?)

Let me know what you think, and thank you.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Where next?
« Reply #1 on: 09:51:58, 30/05/18 »
The High Weald Trail from Horsham train station to Rye train station. I only mention this because in August and a bit beyond it will be at its best. the fruit will be bursting out on the trees, walking through orchards is a pleasure in its own right, loads of woodland, history everywhere, lovely villages (cranbrook, Tenterden ect) great pubs and so on.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:17:51, 30/05/18 »
They might be a bit shorter than you are planning, but St Cuthberts way in the borders and The Cumbria Way across the lake district are nice.  The borders might be a bit less busy in August.  There's also St Oswalds Way, which starts where St Cuthbert's Way finishes and crosses Northumberland, which is a bit longer, but I haven't done it so can't comment on that one.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:00:57, 30/05/18 »
Offas Dyke? Though at 177 miles and quite a lot of up and down it might be a bit far, you probably need 10 days.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:07:00, 30/05/18 »
North Downs Way at 153 miles seems to fit your mileage and no.of days. Not that I've done it or know anything about it mind.

Murphy

« Reply #5 on: 19:45:09, 30/05/18 »
Well having done Cleveland Way a number of times I can recommend it. Has a bit of everything,  villages, coastal, moorland.....,...

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:04:13, 30/05/18 »
Something a little different. Pick a place about 150 - 160 miles from where you live. Get a train out, and walk back. Take maps and make it up as you go along. Find a bed when you have finished the days walk. Morecambe to the Humber Bridge, 162 miles. Newcastle to the Humber Bridge 145 miles. Great fun.

Ilona

MrMike

« Reply #7 on: 08:56:39, 02/06/18 »
Thanks all for this, super useful!!

mow1701

« Reply #8 on: 21:58:03, 03/06/18 »
Can I put forward the Cumbrian Way, dales way or dales highway. All good route and suit timescale

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy