Author Topic: Best route up scafell pike with a dog.  (Read 8507 times)

Toxicbunny

Best route up scafell pike with a dog.
« on: 13:03:37, 12/06/18 »
Hi, can someone who has taken a dog up scafell tell me the best route. My dog is use to walking 10 miles is a stroll to him . I've been looking at routes and one mentions watch the cow which is a no no for me. Another one mentions rocks which they can get their feet stuck down. He's a big dog and agile. Can anyone recommend a good route up scafell with a dog thanks.

Skip

• Veteran Member
Re: Best route up scafell pike with a dog.
« Reply #1 on: 19:07:36, 12/06/18 »
I've walked up the Pike a couple of times with a dog (a big strong mongrel in the autumn of her years).  I've also walked other high fells with my Jack Russel and, more recently, with a friend's Patterdale terrier. They all got on fine.

As to routes, the summit area of Scafell Pike is an extensive boulder field which you and the dog must cross to reach the top regardless of which route you've ascended.

It's not a matter of steepness and distance because IME any fit well-exercised dog can walk the few miles up the Pike easily. It's all to do with the roughness of the terrain underfoot.

Some dogs are hardier than others, some are more adept at steep ground, some more tolerant of scree and boulders.

My advice would be to try walking the dog on rocky going somewhere low and with easy escape to a road or to grass. See how Fido gets on with rough going  before tackling the Pike. During and after the walk watch carefully for signs of lame-ness and examine the dog's pads carefully.

Don't do the walk in very hot weather and be sure to take plenty of water for the dog to drink.
Skip

Strider

• Veteran Member
Not all those who wander are lost

Toxicbunny

« Reply #3 on: 22:28:50, 12/06/18 »
Thanks for the responses. I regularly walk hills and moors with my dog. Someone mentioned a route that had cows and not to go on that one as they are aggressive. Which route or way up is the best.

Lazar

« Reply #4 on: 02:58:25, 13/06/18 »
I took my dog up from the main car park by the campsite at Wasdale no problems and I didn't see any cows.

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #5 on: 08:17:46, 13/06/18 »
Have a look at this page on the Wasdale Mountain Rescue Team's website.

It tells you about the route up to Scafell Pike and also mentions about taking a dog with you.

http://www.wmrt.org.uk/the-easiest-way-up/the-easiest-way-up-scafell-pike/

Toxicbunny

« Reply #6 on: 09:35:26, 13/06/18 »
Thanks, I will be doing scafell on my final day at the lakes weather permitting and if I think my dog will be OK.

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:18:46, 13/06/18 »
My lad has been up Scafell Pike a few times. From Wasdale and back, from Seathwaite up the corridor route and down Grains Gill and in from Langdale no problems with any. I wish he could still do it now  :(

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy