Author Topic: The Shape of Things to Come - Hoverglide Backpack  (Read 1755 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
I came across this gizmo today.  I wonder if it will catch on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_sANw8jbKs
https://dresswellbro.com/hoverglide-floating-backpack/
It has only just been released and is a bit pricey to put it mildly at the moment. I have no idea how heavy the frame is but it looks like an "interesting" development.  I wonder what happens if you bend over - does it run to the top of the frame and brain the wearer?
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: The Shape of Things to Come - Hoverglide Backpack
« Reply #1 on: 18:25:19, 16/11/18 »
So, loaded to, say, 11kg the pack will weigh.....um.....11kg.  ::)
There might be a little sense in it, though, it's a bit like my elasticated Op-Tech camera strap that makes my dslr feel slightly less than a house brick hanging from my neck.

Sadly, I can think of one or two people on here who will believe all the hype.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:42:01, 16/11/18 »
Makes sense,if you are running, assuming the mechanism is light and strong enough.  Why would anyone what to take all that extra weight on a climb up a mountain though.  Not for me.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:27:38, 16/11/18 »
Might help lug a Thomann Altimeter up a Welsh Mountain. Or have a long and ueless life in the back of a wardrobe only to be praised highly for its longevity on the odd occasion 20 years hence.
Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:31:19, 16/11/18 »
So, loaded to, say, 11kg the pack will weigh.....um.....11kg.  ::)

Well yes and no.  If you are wearing a conventional 11kg pack and there is any vertical component in your gait than at the bottom of each step you have to stop 11kg going down and make it go up again.  That reversal in momentum feels like extra weight.  If the pack stays level because of the frame design - there is no change in vertical momentum, in theory this is an energy saving.

Just had a thought.  If they put a magnet in one part of the frame and a copper coil in the other part of the frame they could generate electricity to charge a phone too.
« Last Edit: 19:34:56, 16/11/18 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:55:12, 16/11/18 »

Well yes and no.  If you are wearing a conventional 11kg pack and there is any vertical component in your gait than at the bottom of each step you have to stop 11kg going down and make it go up again.  That reversal in momentum feels like extra weight.  If the pack stays level because of the frame design - there is no change in vertical momentum, in theory this is an energy saving.

Just had a thought.  If they put a magnet in one part of the frame and a copper coil in the other part of the frame they could generate electricity to charge a phone too.
Indeed but any kind of damping system, as that would be, must effectively then put that energy back into the system as weight on your back with each step.  Love your thinking though and the energy required to charge a GPS or such would be miniscule.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:05:45, 16/11/18 »
Indeed but any kind of damping system, as that would be, must effectively then put that energy back into the system as weight on your back with each step.  Love your thinking though and the energy required to charge a GPS or such would be miniscule.

Indeed - Newton cannot be ignored, the energy has to go somewhere but the load transfer can be smoothed out eliminating peak loading so it would feel lighter I suppose.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:12:23, 17/11/18 »

Thought that this was a wind up initially!

Might be of use to runners on fairly smooth paths, but I imagine that the motion could throw you off balance on rough ground. And, at the end of the day, it is just something else to break.

Not for me.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:13:13, 17/11/18 »
..and a dog on a bungee is better at pulling me up the hills!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Maggot

« Reply #9 on: 22:33:27, 19/11/18 »
Think how useful it will be if you are doing a mountain marathon though.  You could run with all your kit and still take 6 fresh eggs for breakfast  O0

Maggot

« Reply #10 on: 19:05:53, 21/11/18 »
This is the real future, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g76QBth2KCI, exoskeletons!

Blimey, imagine that, a lightweight suit you slip on become flippin Ironman!

Chris954

« Reply #11 on: 16:13:46, 22/11/18 »
and if it happens to throw a wobbler and go out of sync it could potentially throw you off balance hurling you to your demise off a cliff.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:36:22, 22/11/18 »
and if it happens to throw a wobbler and go out of sync it could potentially throw you off balance hurling you to your demise off a cliff.
  My worry would be if the elastic snapped you could end up with the mother of all wedgies.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:18:30, 22/11/18 »
  My worry would be if the elastic snapped you could end up with the mother of all wedgies.
:D ;D :D  Spoken like an old Matelot. O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy