Author Topic: Pennine Way - wild camping all the way?  (Read 9966 times)

tiktok

Pennine Way - wild camping all the way?
« on: 03:58:02, 23/04/08 »
I'm going to do the Pennine Way in mid-late July and would prefer to wild camp most if not all of the way. The problem is I haven't walked much in the UK and so I don't know how feasible this would be.

Are safe wild camping sites relatively easy to find on the PW? I'm not sure how far a lot of the walk is from civilization. Are there any particular places/days of the walk where wild camping is unlikely to be possible? I really don't want to stay in B+Bs if possible because of the cost. And I'm not a fan of 'official' campsites, especially in the summer holidays.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: Pennine Way - wild camping all the way?
« Reply #1 on: 10:27:47, 23/04/08 »
Most of the PW is within a couple of miles of "civilisation" at the most - apart from the Cheviot section which is a bit emptier.
Wild camping in England isnt legal wthout explicit permission from the landowner. This , however, is widely ignored and it is practically possible to wild camp for all of the PW. 
The main strategies in England are to camp discreetly and to pitch late and leave early.  In Kielder, the forestry commission have dedicated wild camping spots and when you hit the Scottish Border you can wild camp legally on the Scottish side - which is drier than the English side anyway and has better places to camp
In the South Penninesd, you might have difficulty in finding drinkable water because there is a lot of mineral pollution, specially iron oxides - or is, in effect, bog water on the PW itself.
In addition to "wild" camping spots, there's also some informal spots where you can camp with permission or by payment of a small fee - these are usually pub or B&B gardens or paddocks.
I camped wild quite near jct22 of the M62, in South Tynedale and in the Cheviots and used a back garden at Byrness - and campsites at Edale, Crowden, Hebden Bridge (New Delight) , Ickornshaw, Horton in Ribblesdale and Dufton - a bunkhouse on Hadrians Wall, a YHA at Baldersdale (now closed), Pubs/B&B at Gargrave, Malham and Langdon Beck and a friend's floor at Nenthead (off route!).
All of the campsites were very quiet.
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:14:52, 23/04/08 »
 Good advice off Mike,and I agree with him about the water,its going to be a bit of a problem,especially on the southern section.

I have often found that most farmers will oblige if you approach them in a firendly manner.One tip is to wear a Countryside Alliance badge,slag off the goverment and DEFRA, and they will soon be eating out of your hand! ;D

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:24:53, 23/04/08 »
 I have often found that most farmers will oblige if you approach them in a firendly manner.One tip is to wear a Countryside Alliance badge,slag off the goverment and DEFRA, and they will soon be eating out of your hand! ;D

Heh heh heh.... ;D ;D

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

titaniumdude

« Reply #4 on: 20:36:00, 23/04/08 »
I met a guy on the trail who had pretty much wild camped the whole way only decking into a campsite for the odd shower and to do some washing and get supplies.  Nice chap who unfortunately had to drop out at Bellingham after developing a painful abscess on his lip.  There's also Gregs Hut near Cross Fell, which is one of the few English bothies, which can be used as a stopover.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

tiktok

« Reply #5 on: 18:29:40, 26/04/08 »
Thanks for your replies everyone. I'm definitely looking forward to this trip now :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy