Author Topic: Cleveland Hike  (Read 3656 times)

thomseddon

Cleveland Hike
« on: 19:54:43, 25/05/08 »
I was wandering if anybody had ever heard of the Cleveland hike?

it a competition hike mainly along the Cleveland way, it is 2 days and you are totally self sufficient, has a speed section (quick means points) but otherwise you just have to stay within the time frames for full points, each check point has trials etc?

The "main" competition is the under 18's event which is teams of three, although there is a very strong "veterans" following and many "expedition teams" (u13's with adult).

The main event usually is primarily attended by boys brigade companies, although many cadet squadrons have a go (and never quite do as well  :P)

It is held in the last weekend in June, a weekend thing, about 25-30miles sat and 15-20miles sun.

It is really great and everyone gets a certificate lol! I'm sure it is not to late (if you think your hard enough)

i know at my boys brigade company we don't have to many funds to we are left with heavier £30 tents and slightly crappy stoves etc, but bloody hell we can fly like sh** of a shovel!!!!!!

great atmosphere really (and a free hot dog/burger/veggiburger at the end)

ukmase

• Veteran Member
Re: Cleveland Hike
« Reply #1 on: 09:17:38, 04/06/08 »
Cant say i have heard of it, i have heard of the Whale Bons Walk which was held in May i believe.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:54:04, 04/06/08 »

http://www.geocities.com/clevelandhike/More_Info.htm

Don't like the sound of this one at all.What he hasn't told us are the obstacles on the route including water crossings and an army assault course! ;D

thomseddon

« Reply #3 on: 12:31:40, 06/06/08 »
and mental challenges etc etc

lol it makes it a bit more intense, it is great! and is in only 3 weeks!!

ahh

the problem is the speed section which really if your serious about coming in the top 5 you need to run! i have recently bought some new boots (http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,1355.0.html [nofollow]) and when i was choosing them i started describing to the man in cotswold what i was buying them for and he just plainly said:

"you are and idiot if you run in boots, it messes your feet up and it is really hard"

lol but i sure aint carrying another pair! so.....

dfordaveharper

« Reply #4 on: 08:44:44, 24/07/08 »
The Cleveland Hike is a competition that takes place on the North Yorkshire Moors every year and it's been going for over 40 years! It is open to all comers even though its origins are from the Boys Brigade. Over the years we have had teams from BB, Scouts, Sea Scouts, Army Youth, ATC, Schools, business, private entries, etc, etc. We've had teams come scross from Ireland & Scandinavia as well as England, Scotland and Wales. At one time we had to cap the entries at 120 teams because of the logistics of managing them all. Nowadays we get around 40-50 teams.
Thereare 3 age groups as follows. Expedition teams can be 3 people under the age of 13 accompanied by at least one adult. The core teams are aged between 12 and 19 (3 boys OR 3 girls in a team). Then we have the veterans (often people who competed when they were younger but are now to old for the core team category but love the event so much that they want to continue). the vets can be mixed sex teams of 3 people (they are adults after all!).
The event takes place ALWAYS over the last weekend in June and ALWAYS finishes at Danby. (I think there was only one or two years in the history that we didn't finish at Danby.) The teams have to be totally self-sufficient in that they carry tent, sleeping bags, food, cooking equipment, etc, etc with them at all times. So it's not for the faint-hearted! The teams are told where to turn up for the start on the Saturday morning and at the start their kit is checked by Cleveland Search and Rescue people. Safiety is the highest priority so teams cannot take part unless they pass the kit check. Saturday is a hike of around 18-20 miles broken in sections between 6 checkpoints. Each section has a time limit for maximum points and at the checkpoint the team may be faced with an incident such as a quiz, a skills challenge or something like that for extra points. The teams camp over on the Saturday night and their campcraft is assessed for extra points too. On the Sunday they walk around 12 miles and end up at Danby where hot food is provided. Again checkpoints and incidents break up the walk. The teams only ever know thw grid reference of the 'next' checkpoint so they must be good at map reading!
This is a tough event but great fun and there are loads of awards at the end, some specifically for BB teams but others for non-BB, expedition & veteran teams. Usually a team has a support group with them who provide transport to and from the event and also encourage (without physically helping) their team over the weekend. Checkpoints are usually accessible by road so team support people can drive to checkpoints, checkup on how their teams are doing and watch the incidents.
It's a fantastic event so if you think you're good enough then get your entry form in!! The hike website is http://www.geocities.com/clevelandhike/ [nofollow]

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy