Author Topic: Cleveland Way Prep  (Read 6016 times)

ogy

Cleveland Way Prep
« on: 11:22:21, 26/05/08 »
I know a few of you are doing the CW this year and just wondered how the prep is going on

I'm doing it over 4/5 days in September and would happily 'swap notes' with you guys regarding food and camp spots I have in mind.

I'm not getting out walking nearly as much as I would like to due to starting my own business and that taking all my bloody time but I've been working loads on getting the gear together and sampling different light weight foods etc.

Drop us an email if you like [email protected]

Ogy
There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. - Sir Ranulph Fiennes

ukmase

• Veteran Member
Re: Cleveland Way Prep
« Reply #1 on: 17:32:52, 03/06/08 »
Its coming along nicely. I plan to do it in 5 days although im not sure it is possible.

Kit wise i have borrowed a rucksack off my sister which has save me 100quid easily.  I was planning on stopping at Sutton Bank on the first day but may need to add anohter 5-10 miles that day to make the rest of the walk easier. Any ideas, all i know is i definately want to camp at either Lord Stones or Osmotherly.

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:37:52, 03/06/08 »
Did you get yourself a pair of 'trail trainers' for the CW, or have you changed your mind?

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:59:45, 03/06/08 »
 Schedule I would suggest for fast trip.

Day 1,late start,walk to High paradise farm.14 miles.

Day 2.Lord Stones. Approx 16 miles.

Day 3.Hit the coast at Saltburn.Approx 25 miles.

Day 4.Robin Hoods Bay.Approx 26 miles.

Day 5 Filey.Approx 25 miles.

Once you get to the coast you will be surprised at how easy it is to eat the miles up.

Now if you want to enjoy it and see all the scenery try the following.

Day1.Sutton Bank 10 miles.

Day2. Osmotherly 13 miles.

Day3. Killdale 20 miles with a long stop at Lord Stones.

Day4 Sandsend 18 miles.

Day5. Ravenscar.13 miles.

Day6. Camp near Filey.21 miles.

Day 7,walk into FIley 2 miles.

I have done both schedules but the extra couple of days made it a far more pleasant walk.One year I backpacked it in three days but can't remember much about it as everything was a blur.Its all too easy to turn what should be a pleasant walk into an exercise in masochism.If you can take the extra days then use them as its far too nice a walk to rush through.

ogy

« Reply #4 on: 22:25:49, 03/06/08 »
I'm thinking:

Day 1 –Lord stones café     33 miles   Camp at lordstones

Day 2 – Saltburn      25 miles   Camp on cliffs

Day 3 – Ravenscar      30 miles   Campsite (if not forest)

Day 4 – Filey      20 miles

Pretty much same as Tony but an early start on the first day as it's not too far from where I live.

I've been practising some long distance walks and long duration walks, I know I can comfortably walk 10 hour days so to give it an extra push on the day is no big deal. I have an extra day penciled in to make up any shorter days. In the following weekends I want to get out and do a few 30 miler wild camps 30 miles back hikes to I'll keep you posted :)

Gear wise I'm about there, just finding cooler lighter weight pans etc, looking for a new stove too (solo  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D)

There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. - Sir Ranulph Fiennes

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:42:57, 03/06/08 »
33 miles on day one?! eck!  and Phew!.....  and Crikey! (otherwise speechless....)

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

ogy

« Reply #6 on: 23:02:44, 03/06/08 »
Nice steady final day though  ;)
(can't see it been to much of a problem, I've run 26 miles in two consecutive days over crappy terrain and survived ;), I know it'll be a tough 4 days but thats the way I plan to do this, hopefully one day when I have more time I can do it again and enjoy the scenery as I go)

Hows the feet after your little jaunt?? Great report Mike

Ogy

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 23:09:52, 03/06/08 »
Your plan looks very adventurous Ogy - some quite long distances there - but I expect you know what you're doing, though, so good luck with it (its all in the mind y'know.....)  It'd all be much too far for an old fart like me...

Anyway, my feet are much better for the rest, thanks. Ive got a lovely tan, too, and since Ive been able to take more regular showers, I've stopped smelling a bit less like a  yak herder's armpit.......

ogy

« Reply #8 on: 08:36:46, 04/06/08 »
Mike you know much more about long distance multi days than I do, would you suggest a long haul on the final days over coastal path and shorter first day???

Glad your smelling a bit sweeter ;D Never heard that expression before mate ;D ;D ;D ;D

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:15:39, 04/06/08 »
OGY _ I am liking the look of .....
Day 1,late start,walk to High paradise farm.14 miles.

Day 2.Lord Stones. Approx 16 miles.

Day 3.Hit the coast at Saltburn.Approx 25 miles.

Day 4.Robin Hoods Bay.Approx 26 miles.

Day 5 Filey.Approx 25 miles.

I am planning on doing it on 2/7/08 finishing on my bday 6/7/08. Problem being is it has always rained on my birthday  :-[

I have not got round to buying the trail trainers yet, i am going to make the decision after the Y3P, if my cheapo boots dont criple me on this walk then i think its safe to say i should be okay on the CW.

I still need to put together a small first aid/foot repair kit can anyone give me a list of esentials and the full name of them so i can buy them.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 10:34:04, 04/06/08 »
Mike ..... would you suggest a long haul on the final days over coastal path and shorter first day???

Personally, I like to have quite short first days, and sort of build up the distance over a few days. My view is that day 1 of the Pennine Way from Edale to Crowden is too long, for instance - I'd be wanting a stop about 3 or 4  miles shorter... 33 miles on a first day would be about 23 miles too much for me!   But, thats just me, I wouldnt want to say that this sort of system would work for everybody and you probably don't have time to do this if you want to complete your walk in 5 days. I've got plenty of time to dawdle about as I havent got a job and the family dont notice my absence for at least a week -they think I've just nipped out for a paper... 

ogy

« Reply #11 on: 16:47:00, 21/06/08 »
i am going to make the decision after the Y3P, if my cheapo boots dont criple me on this walk then i think its safe to say i should be okay on the CW.

Did you do the peaks yet, how did the boots hold up.

Ogy

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:04:53, 22/06/08 »
They held up, but could of performed better. I bought a pair of North Face HedgehogsMid Trail yesterdsay. They are really light and comfy.
The prep scout to Saltburn has been put back due to me working today. Do you have a number for High Paradise farm?

ogy

« Reply #13 on: 14:51:12, 22/06/08 »
I'm tempted for the hedgehogs myself. You recommend them then??

The tel no I think is 01845 537235, just found it on a scratty piece of paper in my notes so I could be wrong ;)

I'm on me hols next week, going off to centreparcs for a week with the family so if I don't get online before you go mate good luck. I'll look forward to the report ;)

Ogy

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:52:54, 22/06/08 »
I tried out the hedgehogs today @ Saltburn, they are totally comfy and really light. The deisgn quality of them is top notch as well. I wen for the Mid Hedgehogs.
I could not see any out of sight spots to camp near Saltburn, so i am in 2 minds as what to do for that overnight stay. Its a Friday night and i have been realiably told that area is a haunt for young drinkers.
Good luck yourself OGY and enjoy CP, we go every year and its great for the kids !!!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy