Author Topic: What peice of gear or clothing are you buying next,and why.  (Read 16376 times)

Skinny Walker

Thanks Pete info much appreciated!! ;D
You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well.  ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

Solofool

Umm, i think a lightweight tiny pack size Snugpak sleep bag and a silk liner, that way i can do multiday hikes with a 25/35 ltr bag, with food water and bivvi bag and tarp, that is when i am fit enough again.
But should give me flexability depending on temp as, if v cold (minus temps) i will have 4 layers taking up minimal room in pack, and light enough so i can carry all the time.

Oh and some tarp ties (little plastic things that allow you to place guy ropes anywhere on the tarp).

Ian s

• Veteran Member
Chubbywalker,
I second that about the PreCip. Good quality, light, hard wearing, and reasonably breathable. Watch the sizing though... especially with the trousers if going for them. Not what I'd call generously cut! But they do a good size range.
UK distributor is K2
www.k2-uk.co.uk

Ian
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

muymalestado

Another vote for the Marmot precip jacket.  Very thin, which makes it an excellent outer layer; wind/water proof, nice to wear, pockets good, seems tough enough, stuffable, not cheap...
I think this next one will be the top ...

snowslider

• Veteran Member
Umm, i think a lightweight tiny pack size Snugpak sleep bag and a silk liner, that way i can do multiday hikes with a 25/35 ltr bag, with food water and bivvi bag and tarp, that is when i am fit enough again.

I've stopped using silk liners, they sweat too much for me, I've read in a few places that silk is considered breathable but it doesn't seem to work in practice. I've found in alpine huts in the winter it's awful, you sweat a little and then in the small hours of the morning when it's really cold it's really unpleasant. As a result I've switched to a cotton liner which weighs a few grams more but a good nights sleep is worth it. Supplementing a bag with a liner makes a lot of sense though.

Solofool

lol i have a cotton one but being the gear tart that i am i thought i would buy a sexy silk one, but i should try the cotton one again first. Thanks  :-[ saved me a few quid

Jeebs

well i've got to the point where I really need to buy a whole new set of equipment!!

Currently in need of a rucksack & stove.
The Story Of Life Is Quicker Than The Wink Of An Eye

snowslider

• Veteran Member
well i've got to the point where I really need to buy a whole new set of equipment!!

Currently in need of a rucksack & stove.

I've just been doing that, backpacking equipment which I didn't really have, camping's not a big deal here, wild camping is banned and we've the huts anyway. So for a few days in the UK I had new tent (MSR Void 2), sack (Black Diamond Quantum 65), sleeping bag (Alpkit PipeDream 400) and stove (Optimus Crux).

I nearly went for something like an MSR Reactor or JetBoil PCS but when I had the Optimus in front of me it just seemed more flexible and basically lighter.

False_Summit_Veteran

Just got myself a Wild Country backpacking tent for the weekend's wild camping.  Now waiting for the courier to knock at the door so I can open it and see if I can get it up in under two minutes.
Any Moel's a goal.

darksky

• Veteran Member
Ive just got myself a new Rab soft shell powerstretch top for £49:99 and im in the middle of a bidding war on e-bay for a mountain hardwear jacket , the latest bid is £53 and theres only a day left on it so im going to wait for the very last minute and throw my last bid in and hopfully i shall win{fingers crossed} as its a really good un..,plus im after buying the new Rab soft shell ghost top but its really hard to try and get one for under £80.,and last week i purchased my new 1 man tent at long last ive been searching for one that i really like and there are untold solo tents out there and i must of changed my mind at least a dozen times or more,Anyway ive got it now and its the NorthFace Particle 13 and it weighs a mere 1.6kgs at a push and the pack size is small, Im really made up with it, I love having really good gear like so many of you's know its worth spending that bit more sometimes to get the satisfaction of knowing you can really depend on it..,theres a few more bits of clothing i want like the new Rab trekk pants and at only £50 there a bargain.,Anyhow i'll have to put more hours in at work to get the other items i want but its well worth it is'nt it eh.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

darksky

• Veteran Member
Hi chubbywalker..,the vango spectre 300 is'nt really lite weight at all., if its the one im thinking it is, that is. Can i ask you about the seal skin gloves:- are they as waterproof as the picture advertising them  say they are i,e . submerging your hand in water?
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

Skinny Walker

Not totally waterproof, more showerproof! Although they are really windproof and keep you warm when wet. However the material is the sort that will take some wash in waterproofing well. Mine are now nice and dry!

Have bought the vango now, couldn't find anything that could hold me, the missus and 2 greyhounds for less weight (3.1k) - this is a piddly 1.55 each... ;D well happy with it!
You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well.  ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

legs-o-lead

• Veteran Member
Just got a second hand ex-Swedish army canvas rucksack off ebay for about £6. Got it so I can push through brush and trees without worrying about the pack getting snagged and ripped. Bargain.
Courage doesn't always roar like a lion. Sometimes courage is a small voice at the end of a long hard day saying "I'll try again tomorrow".

blue

hey darksky, glad to hear you've finally got your tent ! hope it lives up to your expectations, i hope you'll let us know.

Mr Sam

Just got myself a Wild Country backpacking tent for the weekend's wild camping.  Now waiting for the courier to knock at the door so I can open it and see if I can get it up in under two minutes.

Which one I just got the Duolite and its really good. Next I need a stove and a really large sunhat. Its starting to smart now.
"I've run out of map... Hold on"

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy