Author Topic: Back systems - Worth it?  (Read 1186 times)

Squill

Back systems - Worth it?
« on: 21:44:14, 18/08/08 »
Firstly just to say Hi, im new here!! (been a lurker in the shadows for a while though)

And now the question....

I have a Lowe Alpine Contour mountain, which has no air system at the back, just two pads and a space where the spine is.

Just go £120 vouchers to use at Cotswold through work, so need ot find something to buy  :D

Thinking of getting either an Osprey Atmos 35L or a Deuter futra 32

What im wondering, is, is it worth replacing my near mint bag, with a newer one with an air system.

Only do day hikes, stuff like Scaffel pike etc, also like to do a bit of scrammbling so need it to be sturdy.

Thanks guys

cragster

• Veteran Member
Re: Back systems - Worth it?
« Reply #1 on: 22:01:27, 18/08/08 »
If you are prone to sweating (like me) then you'll find an air system of little use. I have a rucksack with an airflow system and I really couldn't tell you that it was significantly better.

After all marathon runners wear nothing more than a vest and they still sweat!

I guess they might help your back dry out quicker once stopped but if like me you don't really stop till you get to the end of your walk then I can't see the advantage.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

the coot

« Reply #2 on: 07:57:26, 19/08/08 »
I guess air-flow systems type backs to rucksacks are something that you like or not. I don't, I don't like the way they hang out behind my back, I know it's the entire point of them but I don't like the feel of it. I have a Lowe, an old Contour, around 40L but quite small for that, and I still like it. I have a bigger MacPac now, but it's still the back hugging type. Don't care if I get a sweaty back.

Navitimer806

« Reply #3 on: 20:54:32, 19/08/08 »
AS\you say it's a matter of personal preference. I have just ditched my old Berghaus Dart 35 for a new Berghaus Freeflow and I find it much more comfortable and it keeps my back much cooler.  O0
"The day that God invented Rugby League, He didn't do anything else but sit around and feel good."

Jack Gibson (1929-2008)
Australian Coaching Legend

Squill

« Reply #4 on: 21:59:32, 19/08/08 »
Well decided im off for the osprey, got scaffel pike this weekend, so gonna give it a whirl there.

Cheers for the input though guys

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy