Author Topic: A late question about Torpantau and the Fan Y Big area .  (Read 2234 times)

GnP

• Veteran Member
We (family) are taking a walk around Torpantau , from the car park at Blaen Y Glyn , up to Fan Y Big then back down the valley housing the Neuadd Reservoirs near Brecon tomorrow.

I wondered if anyone knows what the ground is like up on the top and generally . Is it soddened or dried out some.?

The forecast tomorrow is excellent with sun , if a tad windy . So we will go whatever , but It is nice to know what to expect if anyone has been up in the last two days or lives near there . Ta much .  :) 
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: A late question about Torpantau and the Fan Y Big area .
« Reply #1 on: 16:50:21, 28/09/20 »
No doubt, it will be very wet up there, as your right in the heart of the central Brecon Beacons.
The area of the Brecon Beacons near the Gap or Roman Road, retains a lot of moisture, and the weather has been unsettled recently.

Tomorrow, the forecast is supposed to be decent, but from Tuesday night and onwards, the weather is supposed to be getting very unsettled, all the way into next week.
« Last Edit: 16:54:35, 28/09/20 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:49:00, 28/09/20 »
No doubt, it will be very wet up there, as your right in the heart of the central Brecon Beacons.
The area of the Brecon Beacons near the Gap or Roman Road, retains a lot of moisture, and the weather has been unsettled recently.

Tomorrow, the forecast is supposed to be decent, but from Tuesday night and onwards, the weather is supposed to be getting very unsettled, all the way into next week.
Thanks ! It actually wasn`t too bad. On the plateau of Fan Y Big there were some pools and parts of the Beacons way were wet . My Daughter had trainers on so she kept an eye out for water logged grass or that black peat which can appear solid till you walk on it..... but we actually survived with dry feet and no change of socks & the spare footwear that I lugged around in my ruck sack for her , was also not needed .... O0
« Last Edit: 19:34:00, 28/09/20 by GinAndPlatonic »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:57:59, 28/09/20 »
It doesn't get too wet up there, and a friend there over the weekend also reported good conditions.  Glad you enjoyed it, it's one of my favourite areas  :)
Where there's a will ...

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:21:46, 28/09/20 »
It doesn't get too wet up there, and a friend there over the weekend also reported good conditions.  Glad you enjoyed it, it's one of my favourite areas  :)
It is delightful . My wife said she thought it was the best walk for great views , that she has done . Im sure you know that view over toward Pen y Fan is wonderful . She said it was better to look at Pen Y Fan & it`s sisters than actually walking over them  . O0

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:42:08, 28/09/20 »
Not quite sure I'd agree with that ... but I agree that the view is magnificent   O0
Where there's a will ...

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:27:00, 28/09/20 »
Not quite sure I'd agree with that ... but I agree that the view is magnificent   O0

I see on the map that the Beacons way runs across the A470 at the Storey arms centre and on towards Craig Cerrig gleisiad and Fan Llia . Have you been along that section and what`s your opinion of that section/area for walking .?

I have never walked just the other side of the A470 and feel that as nice as Pen Y Fan is , its about time I did .

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:44:52, 28/09/20 »
Generally quieter but still a great area for walking  O0

Trails aren't as well defined as they're not as popular, but good walking around Fan Llia and Fan Fawr.
Where there's a will ...

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:56:39, 28/09/20 »
Thanks. Quiet is good . O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy