Author Topic: Snowdon Horshoe without crib goch ?  (Read 4845 times)

MrPob

Snowdon Horshoe without crib goch ?
« on: 20:39:03, 01/10/20 »
Hi all,

I’m heading to snowdon in a couple of weeks with a couple of friends. It’s been years since I’ve been there and I’m not wanting to do crib Goch.

It’s been suggested that we do the horshoe. Is it possible to do this route without crib Goch?

Every GPX file I’ve downloaded appears to use crib Goch annoyingly. I was trying to find one with an alternative to this part if possible?

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
Re: Snowdon Horshoe without crib goch ?
« Reply #1 on: 21:06:27, 01/10/20 »
Just use the Pyg track from Pen-y-pass instead O0

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:54:02, 02/10/20 »
In theory, you can climb up the grassy slope from the Pyg to the saddle between Crib Goch and Garnedd Ugain, thus cutting out the hardest bit if the Horseshoe, but I’ve never done it.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:02:59, 02/10/20 »
So many ways up Snowdon - why not try something different - the 'Arddu Horseshoe'. Start at Llanberis and have a morning promenade over the quiet Moel Eilio range, a succession of smaller grassy hills, easy walking with lovely views, before tackling Snowdon via the Snowdon Ranger path. Return via the Llanberis path. I did this route a few times when I lived in Snowdonia and I always enjoyed it - Distance about 12.5 miles.

Alternatively, just join the crowds on the Pyg Track - it's a good route but it WILL be busy.

PS - welcome to the forum  O0
« Last Edit: 09:08:07, 02/10/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:05:32, 02/10/20 »
In theory, you can climb up the grassy slope from the Pyg to the saddle between Crib Goch and Garnedd Ugain, thus cutting out the hardest bit if the Horseshoe, but I’ve never done it.

Describing it as a grassy slope is a bit optimistic - it looks like horrible steep ground, purgatory!

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:01:32, 02/10/20 »

Describing it as a grassy slope is a bit optimistic - it looks like horrible steep ground, purgatory!
Yes, it looks unpleasant as a way up!

I’ve done the Moel Eilio route you mentioned (although the other way), and it’s a great walk. Very quiet once you’re away from the Llanberis path and summit. Great views on both sides.

Very hard work, though. My route stats show about 20km car to car, and over 1400m of ascent. I was very tired by the time I was making the final ascent of Eilio.

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:24:59, 02/10/20 »
One of my favourite ways up Snowdon from PYP is straight up the horns from the car park where the Pyg Track information board is, just follow the fenceline. It brings you out at the top of the Pyg Track without the crowds but far better views. Miss out crib goch and down Lliwedd job done  O0

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:19:20, 03/10/20 »
My suggestion, is to use Cwm Glas Mawr, and head for Bwlch Moch, or Pass of the Pigs, right at the top of Cwm Glas.

Its a very rewarding, and easy route to follow, and will take you to the very bottom of the mighty Northern cliffs of Crib Goch,  a very exciting place to be.
Once you have reached Bwlch Moch, you have the Pinnacles of Crib Goch towering above you, on your left, but you can just continue the Snowdon Horseshoe route, but just miss Crib Goch altogether.

Ive climbed Snowdon numerous times using this very straightforward route, and it is a very neglected 3/4 length Horseshoe.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:37:08, 03/10/20 »
I'm getting confused, DA, because I thought Bwlch Moch is the one at the eastern end of Crib Goch, where the path splits to either the ridge or the Pyg Track? In which case, Crib Goch isn't being avoided at all.

But I think I know the way you mean, you climb the very steep and pathless slopes at the head of Cwm Glas to reach the lowest point of the ridge between Gyrn Las and Garnedd Ugain. Am I right?

Of the suggestions made so far, I think the Pyg Track is going to be the best for the OP.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:51:48, 03/10/20 »
Sorry folks, it should be Bwlch Goch.

If you use the PYG track, then you will have to scramble up very loose scree and rock, to reach Bwlch Goch.

If Grib Goch gives you the collywobbles, then at least attempt most of the horseshoe.

The Cwm Glas route, will avoid all the traffic, and give the walker a simply stunning alternative for a 3/4 horseshoe.

Its the small gap or pass, just after you drop down from the Pinnacles of Crib Goch, and start the scramble to Garnedd Ugain.

Its a very straight forward climb from the A5, amongst the most impressive scenery in Northern Snowdonia.

I can remember crissoning my Jetboil Zip, for the first time, by the small lake, just below Bwlch Goch, that cuppa made from all of the finest ingredients was pure nectar.

Nobody in sight, and a gorgeous sunny and warm afternoon in july 2017.
« Last Edit: 18:03:42, 03/10/20 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:16:50, 03/10/20 »
Its a very straight forward climb from the A5, amongst the most impressive scenery in Northern Snowdonia.

Now I'm getting confused!

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:54:57, 03/10/20 »
What route do you suggest to get cross the Glyders from the A5?

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:05:27, 03/10/20 »
I think DA means the A4086, Llanberis Pass.
You start near Blaen-y-nant and ascend Cwm Glas Mawr, then a very rough and rocky trod way follows the stream - sometimes in the stream - up to Cwm Glas.

I can remember crissoning my Jetboil Zip, for the first time, by the small lake, just below Bwlch Goch, that cuppa made from all of the finest ingredients was pure nectar.

That'll be the spot where I peed in the lake  :)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:41:08, 04/10/20 »
If your very lucky, you can sometimes find a parking place, just near Pont Y Gromlech, which is the final carpark in the llanberis Pass, before you make the climb up towards Pen Y Pass.

Cross that small bridge next to the river, at Blaen Y Nant, and if you look carefully, there's a clear well trodden path that winds itself along the lower slopes of Cwm Glas, used by walkers usually attempting the Parsons Nose route on llechog.

Many years ago, whilst parked in the large car park just outside Nant Peris, i would look up towards the North Ridge of Crib Goch looking ever so menacing above Cwm Glas, and thought, there's no way i would ever contemplate venturing inside there.

Its looks ever so challenging ground, and even parked below in the llanberis Pass, it still looks the preserve of rock climbers or those types that love hard rock scrambles.

Well ive now traversed Cwm Glas over six times, and its a magical place, looking up at the walkers crossing Crib Goch's ridge, high above you, that's a real thrill.

I hate heights, and a Grade 1 scramble is not my cuppa, but ive used the Bwlch Goch route up to Snowdon, on two occasions, as it misses out the main challenge of Crib Goch, but still provides the fairly easy scrambling towards Carnedd Ugain.

There's nothing challenging about the route, and its an area of Snowdonia that few walkers get to see, simply because the route into Cwm Glas looks intimidating, when there's nothing challenging about it at all.

RAVE

« Reply #14 on: 13:07:23, 27/11/20 »

Hello,

What is crab goch?
Hi all,

I’m heading to snowdon in a couple of weeks with a couple of friends. It’s been years since I’ve been there and I’m not wanting to do crib Goch.

It’s been suggested that we do the horshoe. Is it possible to do this route without crib Goch?

Every GPX file I’ve downloaded appears to use crib Goch annoyingly. I was trying to find one with an alternative to this part if possible?
He was both everything I could ever want…
And nothing I could ever have…

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy