Author Topic: Bluebells  (Read 6097 times)

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Bluebells
« on: 13:33:08, 01/04/20 »
These are starting to come out in our garden, they’re my favourite flower. But I‘ve just realised that the 3 woods in Suffolk we usually visit that have great displays of them, are now off limits.  :-\  The nearest is about 8 miles away so not sure if I can justify a 16+ mile walk! So if anyone has some photos of bluebell woods they visit this year, please post them for me!

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Re: Bluebells
« Reply #1 on: 13:42:51, 01/04/20 »
I can easily walk on foot to see some local Bluebells....but I'm patiently waiting for the Ramsons to flower first!  Just lots of fresh green leaves so far... :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:58:24, 01/04/20 »
...the 3 woods in Suffolk we usually visit that have great displays of them, are now off limits.  The nearest is about 8 miles away so not sure if I can justify a 16+ mile walk!

If it's on quiet lanes and/or footpaths with hardly any other people it should be fine. I just posted about a 15-mile walk today, one I effectively had to do (not a TR, no pics), didn't see any bluebells anyway.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:04:03, 01/04/20 »
Be a couple of weeks before they are out here in South Cumbria, but I have found a good patch in Eggerslack Woods that I will photograph when they are in flower.

And the Ramsons. :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:05:10, 01/04/20 »
We had 1 particular walk last year where the bluebells where all at their absolute peak with the woods carpeted in them. Unfortunately it is a car journey to get there, I'll keep an eye out for local ones to photograph for you.

Ronin83

« Reply #5 on: 17:11:49, 01/04/20 »
A recent statement made it very very clear that we can drive to somewhere to start our exercise...within reason of course.
You could drive 5 miles or so, cutting down the walk

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:20:17, 01/04/20 »
A recent statement made it very very clear that we can drive to somewhere to start our exercise...within reason of course.
Official source (as opposed to press)?
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:46:12, 01/04/20 »

The gov.uk website does not mention driving to take your exercise - at least I cannot find anything about it.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:55:24, 01/04/20 »
It does look as though we'll miss our annual visit to see the spectacular bluebell display at King's Wood this year.  :(

Whilst there are many other good areas for bluebells in Kent, this one among the beech trees in the woods near Chilham, north of Ashford, is absolutely vast. It's also on the wonderful North Downs Way, from where I took these photos last year (in lieu of those I'd have posted this year!)...

My wife taking photos:

Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Ronin83

« Reply #9 on: 18:21:45, 01/04/20 »

The gov.uk website does not mention driving to take your exercise - at least I cannot find anything about it.

Hmm. I can only apologise. I heard a statement where they said it was OK and police had been over the top, but the gov website doesn't say that. In fact I can only find advice against it. It seems they're giving discretionary powers to the police, which is a bit worrying I think. There's certain things which are not enforceable by law yet.

Anyway sorry, bluebells! The good thing is they'll be there next year if you miss them. Just remember that.
My local bluebell woods is ashridge near Berkhamsted.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:33:28, 01/04/20 »

Anyway sorry, bluebells! The good thing is they'll be there next year if you miss them. Just remember that.
My local bluebell woods is ashridge near Berkhamsted.

Love Ashridge! We sometimes stop there travelling from Suffolk to Oxfordshire to visit our daughter. It’s lovely in the autumn too.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:03:49, 01/04/20 »
Here are some more that may go unappreciated this year.

Wimbleball Lake, Exmoor

Holwell Lawn, Dartmoor
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:29:37, 01/04/20 »

It was on the BBC national news last night.  An interview with a spokesperson from the NPCC following criticism of "over zealous" enforcement of the guidance by the Police exercising their new powers.

Although there's no dot gov dot uk clarification, I found this reference to it on the Devon Live webpage:

https://www.devonlive.com/news/people-can-drive-reasonable-distance-4006925

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:38:51, 01/04/20 »
Anyway, back to bluebells.  There are none local to me, or wild garlic and seeing as the forum meet I had planned for May was going to involve Rannerdale Knotts won't be happening now, keep all the lovely carpets of bluebells pics coming  O0

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:41:12, 01/04/20 »
Lovely bluebell photos.I think the moment when I felt saddest last week was when I realised I would miss the bluebells this year.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy