Author Topic: 35mm old school Photography  (Read 8840 times)

jonathanwarrilow

35mm old school Photography
« on: 21:52:04, 10/04/15 »
I always found it interesting to shoot Film. 35mm and 120 medium format. In fact, i built my company on it.   ::)

Does anyone else share the same passion for the outdoors and photography?

Heres some examples of my last trip to the North East. 10 Walking Forum Points if you can tell me where these two locations are. First one is easy ;)

Please feel free to share your snaps or opinions :)
« Last Edit: 01:11:17, 11/04/15 by jonathanwarrilow »
The Explorer's Club

www.theexplorersclub.co.uk [nofollow]

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: 35mm old school Photography
« Reply #1 on: 23:14:02, 11/04/15 »
Really nice photos with a sense of depth in the colour
Can't identify the port but I have a thing about fishing boat registrations (I know - sad) and there are boats from Banff, Padstow, Scarborough and Fowey in the photo - where would they travel to from scotland, Yorkshire and Cornwall in order to go fishing and when?
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

jonathanwarrilow

« Reply #2 on: 23:48:20, 11/04/15 »
Thanks!

These were test shots from my new camera (new to me - was made in 2004) but iv always had film cameras and even taught it a bit.

You have a good eye (i spotted scarborough though ;) ) i found all the fishing boats interesting too, hence why i took so many pictures. The depth was what i was going for.

Is it just boats original places you like, or do you have shots of your own?

Jonathan
The Explorer's Club

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:42:44, 12/04/15 »
Hmmm... gonna put my neck on the line here....

The first two are at the Harbours in Scarborough.

The next two are of the cliffs at North Landing, Flamborough.

... And the last one is of Osgodby Point from Cayton Bay.

Nice pics by the way  O0

jonathanwarrilow

« Reply #4 on: 16:46:34, 12/04/15 »
Hmmm... gonna put my neck on the line here....

The first two are at the Harbours in Scarborough.

The next two are of the cliffs at North Landing, Flamborough.

... And the last one is of Osgodby Point from Cayton Bay.

Nice pics by the way  O0

10 Imaginary Points to Mel - Bang on on both accounts.

Boom
The Explorer's Club

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:01:30, 12/04/15 »
I think that must be the first time ever I've got a "where's this" type question  :D

Holidayed as a nipper at Cayton Bay.  Frequently visit Scarborough, and recently posted a Trip Report of a walk around Flamborough Head  :)

jonathanwarrilow

« Reply #6 on: 17:19:09, 12/04/15 »
Ah you know it well then.

It was actually the first time iv been up there - looking to go camping soon up there hopefully.

The Explorer's Club

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:07:10, 12/04/15 »
Thanks!

These were test shots from my new camera (new to me - was made in 2004) but iv always had film cameras and even taught it a bit.

You have a good eye (i spotted scarborough though ;) ) i found all the fishing boats interesting too, hence why i took so many pictures. The depth was what i was going for.

I like boats in general but just have a thing about fising boat registrations - just like to know where they are from.
Photography-wise I'm not very technically minded and though used to have an SLR now love my little digital lumix though I am sure it could do a lot more than I am aware of - I tend to pint and click most things to keep a record of walks.

Is it just boats original places you like, or do you have shots of your own?

Jonathan

jonathanwarrilow

« Reply #8 on: 18:11:44, 12/04/15 »
Well that was confusing.

Thats the first time iv seen your reply though Jac, so im not sure whats happening there. Sorry dude.

Photography can be a tool for anything. Record keeping, jogging memories, or an art form in itself. I probly take my cameras too seriously, but i have a point a shoot still that i take with me on holidays and things, then i dont have to worry about my MO FO 35mm getting broken.

The Explorer's Club

route2rock

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:28:23, 13/04/15 »
I tend to use my phone for 'snaps', always conveniently to hand when an opertunity arises ;)

If out for a mountain walk, I've started experimenting more and more with a go pro and getting time lapses :)

Must admit though, there is a certain appeal about medium format photography
Find out what I've been up to @ http://www.instagram.com/route2rock :)

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 14:13:50, 13/04/15 »
I'm just a snapper type of photographer and use a Panasonic Lumix on auto setting, no point in me pretending I know the first thing about how to apply settings  :-[ Anyway I did have a 35mm camera once, bought it in 1986 I think for about £200 as a Xmas present from my better half. It was a Praktica and came as a kit with a wide angle and zoom lens, flash gun, case and spare film. I put it on ebay without reserve some time ago still in pristine condition and got £11 for it, wish I had kept it now  >:(
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

jonathanwarrilow

« Reply #11 on: 14:20:57, 13/04/15 »
Ah man - Sometimes its good to hang onto things.

I started Digital, and then my dad introduced my to film, and iv done that ever since. Of course, i have a digital too, its just for convenience.

I prefer to shoot film as i can think a bit more about the shot and enjoy it. Digital is point, shoot, done. delete. I like the trial and error side of it.

You should be able to pickup a good 35mm if you wanted to try again. Canon AE1 was my first SLR, and one of my favourites.   
The Explorer's Club

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 14:29:48, 13/04/15 »
To be honest I'm happy with the ease and size of the Lumix, just clips nicely onto the chest strap of my pack, point and shoot then transfer to my laptop. Having said that it used to be fun putting a roll of 35mm in the Praktica then sending them off to be developed, those were the days  O0
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 15:11:24, 13/04/15 »
Well that was confusing.
Thats the first time iv seen your reply though Jac, so im not sure whats happening there. Sorry dude.

Sorry, my fault. Somehow I managed to type my reply into the quote box - Doh.

I also like the easy & simplicity of my Lumix but it does make me lazy. I love being able to take close-up shots of flowers and insects though I wish the *** butterflies would stop flitting about so much. Zoom is useful for birds at times and the wide angle is good for indoors - except where there are columns which should look perpendicular and parallel - but I think it tends to 'flatten' landscapes so the view loses depth.
Do you do your own developing/printing? I do miss that sense of excitment when the prints arrive - but not the oft following sense of failure when viewing them.

Vagabond

« Reply #14 on: 16:08:53, 13/04/15 »
I used to develop and print my own photographs, back in the day. I used a Patterson Developing Tank where you`d wind the film on to a plastic spool.  You`d hold the spool in one hand, then, with the other hand you you twisted it through the spool using a back and forward motion until all the film was wound in. This had to be done in complete darkness, by touch and feel because of course you couldn`t see what you were doing. Then you placed the spool into the tank, added the developer, screwed on the lid and waited until the six minutes, or whatever time was up whilst `agitating` (shaking) the tank every minute until the six minutes were up. Then  the developer was poured out of the tank, the tank was given a quick rinse, and then the fixer was added. After the alloted time, the fixer was poured out and it was then safe to unscrew the lid of the tank and, with the spool of film still inside, the tank was placed under running water for a half hour, after which the film was taken off the spool and hung up to dry! Simples! I should add that the developing and fixing solutions all had to be a certain temperature - anything above or below the required temperature, would effect the end result, eg, too warm and the film would appear over exposed or grainy, same when agitating the tank. Timing, temperatures were (are) all important.

Then, there`s the producing of the prints, the best bit! but maybe I`ll leave that for another time, suffice to say I used a Gnome Beta 2 Enlarger - and Oh, what fun I had! Watching, as the image slowly appeared on a blank sheet of bromide as if by magic -  and the plunging of the finished 10 x 8 print into the stop bath. All done! apart from the washing of the print, another half hour, or ten minutes with the new resin coated papers.
« Last Edit: 17:03:45, 13/04/15 by Vagabond »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy