Author Topic: Trains  (Read 1298 times)

pleb

• Veteran Member
Trains
« on: 10:17:13, 15/09/20 »
Anybody use trains now to go for a walk? I have not been on one since March.
Anything changed apart from having to wear masks?
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Trains
« Reply #1 on: 12:41:46, 15/09/20 »
I've been on a train twice, once from Portsmouth to Winchester at 5 am, two passengers in a carriage with me. Then from Petersfield to Portsmouth later that day, about five passengers with me. I decided to not try it again.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:51:43, 15/09/20 »
We used trains to and from our Pennine Way walk. You have to have a booked seat and sit in it as they are socially distanced.
We also never had our tickets checked.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:19:11, 15/09/20 »
You have to pre book? That's me out then. Ta.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Warbler

« Reply #4 on: 13:37:51, 15/09/20 »
I pre-booked trains to Gravesend via Waterloo last week.

I also caught a train home from Eastbourne, without pre-booking. I just turned up, bought a ticket and jumped aboard - with a face mask of course.

Maybe it depends on which network you are travelling with?

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:21:08, 15/09/20 »
I’ve caught about 20 trains in last 6 weeks...a mix of Cross Country, Avanti, Northern and EMR.

I have not pre-booked any. Some of the operators of ones I have used suggest pre-booking, but none have insisted on it. Not sure how they could as they are still selling open tickets which allow any train running to chosen destination.

Up to about 3 weeks ago, I would have said it was safer than staying in bed...the trains were so empty that you were unlucky if there was more than 1 person per carriage.

Certainly getting busier now, and I’d think carefully about using busy routes.
« Last Edit: 15:25:41, 15/09/20 by pauldawes »

Little Foot

« Reply #6 on: 09:47:16, 19/09/20 »
I’ve used trains fairly regularly. I buy my tickets using the Trainline app. For the last journey, I bought the ticket 15 mins before departure. It was last Saturday and we were headed to the countryside for a walk, but the train was packed with day trippers to the seaside. There was hardly any seats left, which shocked me. Returning, there wasn’t many on, and my son picked a table seat. I didn’t see that the seats opposite what he had picked had signs saying ‘Do not sit’ as I came from behind them. I got asked to move which I found rather bizarre considering the circumstances of the outbound journey.

Anyway, most journeys I have been on have been fine, with no problems. If you buy your tickets with Trainline and don’t use them, it is easy to get a refund, but they take a charge depending on ticket price.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:04:27, 19/09/20 »
I've often wondered, is there any real difference in buying a ticket from Train Line or from the National Rail site? I've always bought mine from National Rail and once from Split Ticketing. The Split ticket site saved me about £30 from Portsmouth to Penrith. All I had to do was stay on the same train but I had to change from one carriage to another at Milton Keynes.

Little Foot

« Reply #8 on: 21:25:47, 19/09/20 »
Trainline automatically calculates the cheapest fares now, so if it is cheaper with a split save ticket, it notifies you that is what the ticket is. I think it is a legal obligation now which changed earlier this year.

Forager

« Reply #9 on: 10:15:04, 20/09/20 »
Hi pleb I have not used a train since the lockdown, being a big railway fan I know a lot of trains have less passengers. But I suppose if you use your common sense you are safe on a train.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:21:02, 20/09/20 »
Hi pleb I have not used a train since the lockdown, being a big railway fan I know a lot of trains have less passengers. But I suppose if you use your common sense you are safe on a train.
As a train fan - do you happen to know how the air is circulated in a modern railway carriage?  I know aircraft have a dedicated system that sucks the air out at floor level and passes it through a high grade HEPA filter before recirculating it with added fresh air pulled in from outside but how is the air treated in a train?
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:01:14, 20/09/20 »
I’ve used trains fairly regularly. I buy my tickets using the Trainline app.

Only a week ago one of my sons needed to pick up a new car from 100 miles away. Delivery would have taken two weeks, so to get it sooner he decided to travel there by train.

The day before his journey he looked at Trainline just to get an idea of the what the fare would be. As he never normally uses trains, it didn't occur to him to buy the ticket then. Instead, he bought it at his mainline station when he travelled . It was double the Trainline price.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:05:38, 20/09/20 »
As a train fan - do you happen to know how the air is circulated in a modern railway carriage?  I know aircraft have a dedicated system that sucks the air out at floor level and passes it through a high grade HEPA filter before recirculating it with added fresh air pulled in from outside but how is the air treated in a train?
This article appears to show that air intake and supply is at ceiling level, with the ac unit on the roof. In this example 2/3 of the air is recycled and 1/3 is fresh air from outside. There is no mention of HEPA filters.
https://3minutesstop.alstom.com/infographie/air-conditioning-work-train/

Older trains may not have ac at all.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:34:52, 20/09/20 »
This article appears to show that air intake and supply is at ceiling level, with the ac unit on the roof. In this example 2/3 of the air is recycled and 1/3 is fresh air from outside. There is no mention of HEPA filters.
https://3minutesstop.alstom.com/infographie/air-conditioning-work-train/

Older trains may not have ac at all.
Thanks - I think I would rather flyhttps://www.tripsavvy.com/air-quality-during-your-flight-54164Faster rate of air change, top to bottom air flow and HEPA filtered.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy