Author Topic: Your first Wainwright?  (Read 86199 times)

Oxenhoper

Re: Your first Wainwright?
« Reply #15 on: 21:44:07, 20/07/14 »
Coniston Old Man, via the tourist path from Coniston, in the autumn of 1976 when I would have been 21 or 22. 
Oxenhoper was born in Burnley but had the sense to move somewhere nicer at the age of five days.

rambling matelot

« Reply #16 on: 13:16:41, 27/07/14 »
Our first was Place Fell in August 2005 - we are now on 203 and we plan our last one to be Great End on our way down off Scafell Pike.  Seems rather apt and it will be nice to finish the 214 in 2014

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 14:30:22, 27/07/14 »
Our first was Place Fell in August 2005 - we are now on 203 and we plan our last one to be Great End on our way down off Scafell Pike.  Seems rather apt and it will be nice to finish the 214 in 2014
After the chaos on top of Scafell Pike Great End will also be a great relief!

harry42

« Reply #18 on: 17:59:32, 27/07/14 »
Scafell Pike was my first...

rambling matelot

« Reply #19 on: 23:39:02, 27/07/14 »
After the chaos on top of Scafell Pike Great End will also be a great relief!

Too right!!

Plan to get up there as early as possible and possibly even wild camp somewhere near - to be honest I hate crowds on summits at the best of times but it will be nice to get it out of the way and then explore other areas of the summit.

AlexR

« Reply #20 on: 16:02:22, 14/08/14 »
Helvellyn continuing around nethermost and dollywagon. Rained. ALOT. Great day though all the same. :)

Theo Frum

« Reply #21 on: 23:00:03, 14/08/14 »
I have no idea what my first one was, but it would have been in August 1970. My first walk with a rucsac on my back was Ingleton waterfalls a year earlier.

I started bagging about 1990ish, and the final walk on 25/8/96 went:
Sour Howes >Sallows >Yoke >Ill Bell >Froswick >Thornthwaite Crag >Gray Crag.

The next one I did on the following day was Haystacks, where my dads ashes are scattered. The last Lakeland fell I stood on was Outerside on 29/8/03.

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 07:06:55, 15/08/14 »
I started walking in the Lakes when I was about 7, on holiday with my parents. Over successive years, we ambled about a bit - although in those days I had only a rudimentary knowledge of where we went. So it could have been any time or any one.  :-\

However, I also wouldn't know whether any given top was a Wainwright or not - the whole idea of bagging lists of mountains and ticking them off has no appeal for me.

So I can't say for sure, and nor can I say I'm overly worried abut it.  :D    

jacko

« Reply #23 on: 09:03:04, 15/08/14 »
I agree glovepuppet, bagging wainwrights or munros or whatever is a trifle strange..been up helvelyn and blencathra lots of times, there are lots of fells I will never climb because they are plagued by fell climbers with a tick list.....one mans opinion. ???

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 09:11:32, 15/08/14 »
Glovepuppet & Jacko while I understand where you are coming from, though if you've done Helvellyn loads of times you're not avoiding the crowds. What I like about Wainwright bagging, apart from ticking them off a list like some sad train spotter, is that it encourages me to explore new hills and areas I may not have considered going to.

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 09:31:14, 15/08/14 »
I understand where you are coming from

What I like about Wainwright bagging, apart from ticking them off a list like some sad train spotter, is that it encourages me to explore new hills and areas I may not have considered going to.

I'm not saying I think it shouldn't be done, or that it's in anyway strange. Just that it holds no charm for me. I fully accept, though, that loads do the Wainwrights and are fans of AW and what he did (although I'm not). But yes, I can see using the list to encourage exploration of new hills as a positive - if that is how inspiration is gained.  ;)

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 09:33:41, 15/08/14 »
loads do the Wainwrights and are fans of AW and what he did (although I'm not).

Sorry for quoting myself, but I just realised I have committed sacrilege - rather like dissing Syd Barrett-era Pink Floyd or The Beatles.  :D

[Ducks for cover on two accounts ....... ]

jacko

« Reply #27 on: 09:34:10, 15/08/14 »
I love the wide tops of helvelyn and blencathra, they give you amazing vistas, and I can escape from the 'Baggers' who touch a trig point and tear of to do the next in their quest to do the personnal challenge they have set themselves, in the time they have allowed themselves....one mans opinion 8)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 10:30:49, 15/08/14 »
I was absolutely not saying that you guys were wrong, just that we are different.
The only thing that should be compulsory about going walking is that you do what you enjoy and to hell with the rest of the world.

Ridge

ps So it's not just me that doesn't get the Beatles then.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 12:41:10, 15/08/14 »
loads do the Wainwrights and are fans of AW and what he did (although I'm not).

Sorry for quoting myself, but I just realised I have committed sacrilege

:o   :o  Sacrilege indeed  :o   ;) 

I started on my sixth round of the Wainwrights a few years ago and sort of gave up and started doing the fells I fancied doing instead. I found it was too difficult to choose which ones to do though   ;D  I'm helping Beefy do his first round of the Wainwrights so I'll end up completing my sixth round after all. I must be a trifle strange x 6 then  ;D
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy