Author Topic: From Slieve Beg to Slievenagarragh: great day in the eastern Mournes  (Read 1753 times)

henryb

• Veteran Member
With weather forecasters predicting strong winds with sunny skies this week-end, yesterday's walk saw me taking in 3 of the lower mountains in the Mournes: Slieve Beg, Chimney Rock and Slievenagarragh. It had been a long time since I walked this region. The route is best summarised as follows: dull walking with great summit views. Slieve Beg offers a great aerial view of the Annalong valley. Chimney Rock's panorama of Binnian to Donard is arguably the best view in this sub-range and Slievenagarragh offers great views of the Irish Sea. From the car park I followed a good track beside the river to the Mourne wall. I climbed the stile and picked up the brandypad to take in Slieve Beg. After admiring the views I returned to the stile for lunch. After a short break, I made my way to Chimney Rock. The only negative was the track disintegrates to pathless terrain. After descending to Slievenagarragh I returned to the good track I had followed for the ascent. Total walk distance was 15km.

Donard and Chimney from the start of the walk:

Retrospective view of Irish Sea en route to Mourne wall:

Rocky, Chimney and Annalong valley from Slieve Beg:

Slieve Donard from Slieve Beg:

Donard and Chimney from Slieve Beg:

Commedagh from Slieve Beg:

Annalong Valley from Brandypad:

Slieve Beg and Upper Cove from brandypad:

From Slieve Beg to Binnian from Chimney:

View towards Annalong from Chimney:

Donard, Commedagh, Beg, Cove and Bernagh from Chimney:

Binnian, Lamagan and Rocky from Chimney:

Beg, Cove and Lamagan from Chimney:

Irish Sea from Slievenagarragh:

Retrospective view of Donard and Chimney:

domtheone

• Veteran Member
Great pics Henry.

Looks a lovely location that.
If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

henryb

• Veteran Member
Thanks Domtheone :)

adalard

• Veteran Member
Stunning scenery, Henry - it looks like a cracking day out. You got some fantastic pictures - I especially liked the one of Slieve Donard from Slieve Beg, and Slieve Beg and Upper Cove, but they're all great.  :) O0

henryb

• Veteran Member
Thanks Adalard, it was a great day out, my favourites were the Annalong valley from Slieve Beg and Binnian from Chimney :)

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
Great stuff Henry.

You keep whetting my appetite for next year.

henryb

• Veteran Member
Thanks Penygadair :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy