Author Topic: Bryn Cader Faner COULD DO WITH WAYMARKING !!!  (Read 6249 times)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: Bryn Cader Faner COULD DO WITH WAYMARKING !!!
« Reply #15 on: 18:57:23, 03/07/18 »
For Gawds sake don't bare anything in this sunlight, it will get fried.
Be OK to grin and bear it though ;D
Too little, too late, too bad......

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:22:08, 03/07/18 »
Many thanks, i might give it a go, but probably the best thing for me to do, is to do a special Rhinog walk, and shoot a few photographs at a much smaller resolution.

No need to alter your camera's settings.  It's the computerified software that can tweak the images into a forum friendly format.

Admit it.  You've just gone shy at the thought of posting that adonis-like image of your torso glistening with perspiration in the sunlight haven't you?  :D

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 00:58:02, 04/07/18 »

In future you could just set your camera to take RAW + JPG.
Post the Jpegs then delete them and keep the RAWs. I don't think paintbrush and the like will read your RAW files anyway.
You could also go to the Adobe website and download their DNG converter. This will convert the RAW into a DNG.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/digital-negative.html?origref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bing.com%2F

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 19:34:38, 07/07/18 »
Brutal is putting it mildly.
I traversed the Northern Rhinogs as far as the lower slopes of Rhinog Fawr this afternoon, from the upper Talysarn carpark, and no, i did not take any photographs, just four litres of water, and a small bumbag, with my mobile phone and front door key inside.
It was the first time ive experienced the so called Welsh Badlands, and the terrain was so severe and relentless that i just could not imagine doing the same walk in less favourable conditions.

Scrambling up steep rocks, constantly having to look at where you were placing your feet, due to the deep holes in the ground, and then there was the relentless heather and bracken, it was quite a day.

On reaching Bryn Cader Vaner once again, i turned right and walked for seven long hours, and no words are good enough to explain how hard the terrain was.

A bit like the North Ridge of Tryfan, less steep but covered in waste deep heather and bracken, with few if any recognisable paths.

It was such demanding terrain, that i just cannot wait to do the full 24mile traverse to Barmouth.

Surprisingly i encountered four walkers, all fully prepared for a night under the stars.

LUCKY THINGS
« Last Edit: 19:40:43, 07/07/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 07:09:23, 08/07/18 »
Another walk without photos ... what a shame we never get to see any  ;)
Where there's a will ...

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 08:51:02, 08/07/18 »
More the reason then for everyone to pay the area a visit.
I was not really expecting the Northern Rhinogs adjacent to Bryn Cader Vaner, to be as demanding as they were, but the walk yesterday was only around twelve miles long, and it took me nearly seven hours to complete it.
Without doubt the toughest days walk, ive completed anywhere in Snowdonia.
Looking back at it, it would have been almost impossible to navigate in heavy mist, as the terrain underfoot was dangerous to say the least.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 09:57:18, 08/07/18 »
More the reason then for everyone to pay the area a visit

Doesn't work that way with me. I've read many good trip reports on the forum with photos which make me want to do the walk, or helps me decide between some long distance walks over many days.

Just reading an account of a walk doesn't have the same excitement.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 11:35:11, 08/07/18 »
 O0 O0 O0
Where there's a will ...

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 11:59:56, 08/07/18 »
I beg to differ, as ive read so many walking publications over the years, recounting the brutal nature of the Northern Rhinogs, that it was an area i just had to experience for myself.
Living within twenty minutes drive of the Bryn Cader Vaner area, its taken me until now, to explore this northerly outpost of the Harlech Dome.
Ive got many photographs showing the area above Trawsfynydd, and ive driven up and down that section of the A470 for well over thirty years, but ive neglected the area adjacent to Rhinog Fawr, until now.

No photographs will give you any idea of the relentless slog, through waste deep bracken and heather and the scrambling up large granite boulders, with chasms below your feet, which have to be navigated around.

This area is incredibly remote, receiving few casual visitors, and what other area in Snowdonia does it take so long to walk a short distance.
The distance covered yesterday was around 10-12miles, and it took me almost seven hours of almost continuous walking to complete the walk.

Traversing the Glyder plateau above Ogwen, was easy in comparison to the Northern Rhinogs, at least you can see where your placing your feet.
« Last Edit: 12:03:56, 08/07/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 22:01:48, 08/07/18 »
some of us aren't "lucky" enough to live near your beloved hills and I probably wouldn't travel all that way without seeing some peoples walks WITH photos to whet my appetite.

What I mean is that a couple of years ago I was deciding on what long distance walk I fancied doing and then one of the members did a trip report and photos of their Pembrokeshire Coast path walk, this made me want to do it, and I did. In the same way, I've seen TR's from April/Beefy etc in the Lakes and other members long distance walks and added them to my "to do" list. Some of us aren't lucky enough to be retired and have lots of money and time to go anywhere we fancy.

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 22:30:18, 08/07/18 »
Bri, reading between the lines, I think what DA is saying is that he doesn't know how to upload pictures onto the forum and doesn't understand that we don't care if they're not of the highest quality and that we simply like to get a visual "feel" of the trip report.

For all we know, he could have just copied an excerpt from a book and never actually left his armchair  :(

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 07:56:12, 09/07/18 »
For all we know, he could have just copied an excerpt from a book and never actually left his armchair  :(

I hadn't thought of that  ;) ;D
Where there's a will ...

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 14:38:46, 09/07/18 »
Thank You Mel, that is just the issue i am having.
Working with very large photographic RAW files, so large that even if they are accepted by Gmail, take minutes to download and send.
Converting huge files from RAW into JPEG, is not something i am used to, and even if i can successfully find an easy to use and compatible bit of software that works with the latest MAC software, is not easy.

When i set out to take these photographs, i never envisaged posting them on an internet forum, they are for my own personal pleasure.

By what i can gather, your all really into Social Media, Facebook, Twitter etc,  but i have decided to avoid such sites.

If anyone here can put me right, tell me the best bit of software to use, and how to convert very large RAW files into an easy to use format, it would be much appreciated.

I would dearly love to post various photographs, for everyones excitement and appraisal, but taking photographs in a much smaller resolution, just to please a small number of people, seems a bit unfair.

I hope you are not offended.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 15:00:12, 09/07/18 »
I seem to recall this same situation before, someone advised you and you posted a few photos.

Maybe it's just me but if I do a walk and see something I think is scenic etc I enjoy sharing with the forum and/or friends  O0

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 15:09:24, 09/07/18 »
I have forgotten which bit of software i used, as its was some time ago i used it.
I remember posting some photographs of a Carneddau walk i did, but for the life of me, i cannot remember which software i used, and i would be a bit clueless on how to post the photographs again.
I have a vague recollection of the process involved, but its been ages since i carried out the process, and the software used is no longer on my computer.
If you do not post photographs on the internet on a regular basis, it can prove pretty challenging to someone, trying to convert very large RAW files into a more manageable size, and in a different format, and then post them on a forum in a recognisable form.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy