Author Topic: Favourite forests in North Wales  (Read 1418 times)

homesickalien

Favourite forests in North Wales
« on: 21:17:29, 05/07/18 »

Gwydir's up there for me, some nice lakes and trails and quite big

Theres so many others though small and large, what are yours and why?

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: Favourite forests in North Wales
« Reply #1 on: 23:05:14, 05/07/18 »
 Coed-y-Brenin is a much-fragmented forest, there are so many bits of it, but one part really stands out for me, and that is to the east of the A470 near Ganllwyd.
Compared with the gloomy plantations of densely-packed conifers in straight rows with nothing growing beneath them, here the trees are fully-grown and majestic while they appear to be randomly positioned and well-spaced so that grassy glades appear amongst them. It fits my idea of what a forest should be like, and it is a truly delightful place to be.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 23:07:33, 05/07/18 »

I lived in Llanrwst, Trefriw and Dolwyddelan for many years, so Gwydir Forest was my back garden, and I have fond memories; whether going for a wander up past the old Hafna lead mine to Llyn Glangors and Llyn Geirionydd, or mountain biking along the forest trails; busting a gut on the big climbs out of Betws y Coed, but reaping the reward of the swooping downhills on the way back.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:13:12, 05/07/18 »

Coed-y-Brenin is a much-fragmented forest, there are so many bits of it, but one part really stands out for me, and that is to the east of the A470 near Ganllwyd.
Compared with the gloomy plantations of densely-packed conifers in straight rows with nothing growing beneath them, here the trees are fully-grown and majestic while they appear to be randomly positioned and well-spaced so that grassy glades appear amongst them. It fits my idea of what a forest should be like, and it is a truly delightful place to be.

The walk up the track beside the Afon Mawddach to the waterfalls and the old gold mine is lovely.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

37 427

« Reply #4 on: 11:24:00, 06/07/18 »
The Dyfi Forestry around Corris and Abergynolwyn for me, so remote and you rarely see anyone. A close second is a conifer plantation above Cwm Einion again remote, but i have seen a number of Goshawks here.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy