Author Topic: Where to get wind speed for the Lake District fells (observed)?  (Read 2754 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
I think the temperature sensor is broken it thinks it's 18.7 degrees Celsius in Appleby-in-Westmorland today. :( The forecast says 8 degrees. I'd have said somewhere about 12 if asked to guess. Wonder if it's picking up my body temperature? But I have to hold it, puzzled.
Does it read out temperature continuously?  If so leave it to stand for 5min to stabilise.  Then take it indoors and see if it changes.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Does it read out temperature continuously?  If so leave it to stand for 5min to stabilise.  Then take it indoors and see if it changes.

Yes it changes, I've got thermometers indoors assuming they're right it's 7 degrees out, but I'm assuming it's not a nice constant error of 7 degrees. I put it on the table so it's not body heat. Someone else in the Amazon comments complained it's 5 degrees out so I'm not alone in getting a duff reading.

ninthace

• Veteran Member

Yes it changes, I've got thermometers indoors assuming they're right it's 7 degrees out, but I'm assuming it's not a nice constant error of 7 degrees. I put it on the table so it's not body heat. Someone else in the Amazon comments complained it's 5 degrees out so I'm not alone in getting a duff reading.
  Looks like it is Tango Uniform - return it.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
  Looks like it is Tango Uniform - return it.

Will do. The only one on the other site within price range is 3 times as much but I guess with this type of instrument you get what you pay for. I've opted for this one from Amazon made by Technoline, one of the makes from the other site.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Something's not right here this device gives the temperature as too hot too, although it's less far out than the first one. I'm in someone else's house without the thermometers I have at home but I turned their heating thermostat up and the heating clicked on about 17 degrees, this device makes it 20.8 degrees (which is about what it makes it outside too - I don't think so). Did I just get very unlucky and get another faulty device or is something else going on here?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Something's not right here this device gives the temperature as too hot too, although it's less far out than the first one. I'm in someone else's house without the thermometers I have at home but I turned their heating thermostat up and the heating clicked on about 17 degrees, this device makes it 20.8 degrees (which is about what it makes it outside too - I don't think so). Did I just get very unlucky and get another faulty device or is something else going on here?
Does it change at all?  20.8 is a reasonable indoors temp.   Mechanical thermostats are not a reliable means of measuring temp.  Stick it in the fridge for 15 mins should read 6-8.  (I know the book says 4.4 but my drinks fridge has to be cranked right up to get that low, the kitchen fridge can get to 6 on a good day).  Digital thermometers can give a false reading if left to stand in full sun too - the one in my lounge shoots up if the sun hits it.

Edit: Just checked my kitchen fridge - it is at 7.5 according to my fridge/freezer thermometer
« Last Edit: 17:12:27, 11/04/19 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Does it change at all?  20.8 is a reasonable indoors temp.

Single glazed home with the heating off. I'm usually quite good at guessing the temperature on account of playing it as a game as a child and I'd say this feels about 16 too. It's not 20 degrees outside where it thinks it is too - I'd put £1000 on it.

When I get home where I've got digital thermometers I'll try it again and stick it in my fridge after that.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Single glazed home with the heating off. I'm usually quite good at guessing the temperature on account of playing it as a game as a child and I'd say this feels about 16 too. It's not 20 degrees outside where it thinks it is too - I'd put £1000 on it.

When I get home where I've got digital thermometers I'll try it again and stick it in my fridge after that.
  I d agree that it isn't 20, flaming freezing on Dartmoor this morning.
Solvitur Ambulando

Jac

• Veteran Member
  I d agree that it isn't 20, flaming freezing on Dartmoor this morning.

Exeter Airport recording 6C at 2000hrs. Clear skies. Reckon we could get a wee frosting tonight
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Makes it 18.2 degrees in my flat where it's 14 degrees. Although I only left it in my fridge for 3 minutes it still read 18.2. Another return I think.  :(

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy