Author Topic: Nikwax Tech Wash and TX Direct Wash In  (Read 4863 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Nikwax Tech Wash and TX Direct Wash In
« on: 10:23:56, 10/03/20 »
Bought a dual pack in Millets or somewhere, discounted when I bought some boots, but promptly lost it in my house move. It re-surfaced a week or so back so I threw my 5 year old Mountain Equipment Lhotse jacket in the machine - this Gore Tex Pro jacket has served me well over the years, but is now not totally waterproof, so I thought that I would give it a go.

For those not familiar with Tech Wash and TX Direct, the idea is that you wash the garment in the Tech Wash detergent first, then immediately use the TX Direct Wash In waterproofer in a second wash cycle.

I'm pleased with the results so far - I've been out in the rain with the dog a few times, and the water beads nicely on the surface. I suppose that the proof of the pudding will be after a long walk in the rain, but so far, so good. I will report back.

PS: one side benefit of the process is that the main zip, one of those YKK waterproof ones, which was getting a bit 'sticky', runs much more freely.

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Bhod

• Veteran Member
Re: Nikwax Tech Wash and TX Direct Wash In
« Reply #1 on: 10:30:02, 10/03/20 »
I've used the stuff for years and found them both to be really good products.  I now buy it by the 5litre container as it works out so much cheaper than the smaller bottles. 
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:35:23, 10/03/20 »
Has anyone tried it on a Trespass DLX jacket.  Mine is getting a bit grubby after a couple of years use. But it still repels water, so reluctant to wash it.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:59:36, 10/03/20 »
Has anyone tried it on a Trespass DLX jacket.  Mine is getting a bit grubby after a couple of years use. But it still repels water, so reluctant to wash it.

Nope but have used it with confidence on the following pieces of my equipment - my Marmot XCR Gore-Tex jacket, My Montane Alpine Pro Gore-Tex jacket, Montane Spine Gore-Tex trousers, Montane Minimus Pertex Jacket and Trousers, My ME Gore-Tex Pro Tupilak jacket, all with fantastic results.

Granted the Jackets don't get washed 'that' often, but my Spine trousers do, they all seem to still bead up very well and there's no noticable loss of 'waterproofness'.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:09:32, 10/03/20 »
I have a really cheap Regatta long jacket, (covers my bum, and I am 6'3") which was never waterproof but I only use it in the allotment. As an experiment a couple of years ago I hung it on the washing line and sprayed it with fabsil Gold. Then sponged it in. It was really waterproofed. I have since resprayed it again and sometimes wear it for my daily early morning 4 miles, so recently it was severely tested. Truly waterproof. Never the most breathable jacket anyway and I have to say no worse in that area now. I always fabsil my little tent regularly and it never lets in water, it also never has condensation but that could be because I got Mrs J to add extra vent flaps when she restitched and seam sealed the whole tent. Or because I am a fair weather camper
Too little, too late, too bad......

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:10:59, 10/03/20 »
I’ve used it a lot as I wear a fair bit of Paramo kit.

I have also used liquid soap instead of Nixwax Tech wash after some one on these boards a couple of years ago suggested that liquid soap and Tech wash were effectively the same.

My “findings” were that liquid soap was just as good...just went back to Tech wash because it’s easier to find in the local shops.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:16:43, 10/03/20 »
I’ve used it a lot as I wear a fair bit of Paramo kit.

I have also used liquid soap instead of Nixwax Tech wash after some one on these boards a couple of years ago suggested that liquid soap and Tech wash were effectively the same.

My “findings” were that liquid soap was just as good...just went back to Tech wash because it’s easier to find in the local shops.
Can you use liquid soap in automatic washing machines?

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:27:12, 10/03/20 »
Can you use liquid soap in automatic washing machines?

I did do.

On low temperature cycles it was fine..it was okay for washing Paramo kit on a 30 degrees cycle.

But one day I had “brainwave” to use it on some other stuff on a high temperature cycle. There was a lot of froth gushing out of the washing machine that day. The kitchen floor has never been so clean....

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:31:32, 10/03/20 »
I have a reputation for flooding the kitchen due to similar mishaps. Which is why I asked.
It is no fun lifting laminate flooring 5 times in a year due to leaving taps running.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:06:52, 10/03/20 »
Nope but have used it with confidence on the following pieces of my equipment - my Marmot XCR Gore-Tex jacket, My Montane Alpine Pro Gore-Tex jacket, Montane Spine Gore-Tex trousers, Montane Minimus Pertex Jacket and Trousers, My ME Gore-Tex Pro Tupilak jacket, all with fantastic results.

Granted the Jackets don't get washed 'that' often, but my Spine trousers do, they all seem to still bead up very well and there's no noticable loss of 'waterproofness'.
I may give it a go, if it fails, I can always try Jimbob's Fabsil Gold method.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:27:30, 10/03/20 »
I may give it a go, if it fails, I can always try Jimbob's Fabsil Gold method.
Just be aware that Fabsil might stop any existing breathability.
It is sold as an out and out waterproofer, which it is great at.

I use it on loads of stuff, bags old walking trousers, tents, old jackets. They are all made waterproof but I have no idea if they were any better breathability wise after as none of the cbeap stuff I buy was much good before.  :D

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:40:36, 10/03/20 »
While we're on the subject
I have a 9-years-old Sprayway Quorum coat for streetwear, with Gore-Tex outer, Thinsulate insulation, and it is very heavy.
The last few times I've walked home from station / bus / shops in hissing rain, no more than 10 minutes, I have observed that the wet appears to be soaking into the surface rather than beading.
Am I right in assuming it needs cleaning and treating?
If so, what is the best thing to do, without ruining it?

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 06:47:37, 11/03/20 »
While we're on the subject
I have a 9-years-old Sprayway Quorum coat for streetwear, with Gore-Tex outer, Thinsulate insulation, and it is very heavy.
The last few times I've walked home from station / bus / shops in hissing rain, no more than 10 minutes, I have observed that the wet appears to be soaking into the surface rather than beading.
Am I right in assuming it needs cleaning and treating?
If so, what is the best thing to do, without ruining it?

It does sound as though the DWR (Durable Water Repellant) coating has come to the end of its life.  I'd give it a wash in Nikwax Tech Wash, followed by a wash with the Nikwax TX Direct wash in.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:09:05, 11/03/20 »
I hesitated to suggest that because of the Thinsulate.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:06:26, 11/03/20 »
WATERPROOF PRODUCTS CLEANING
Cleaning Sprayway waterproofs instructions are as follows, a more detailed instruction can be found on the garment label. Machine or hand wash using a technical cleaner such as Nikwax Tech Wash on a 30ºC cycle. AVOID detergents, fabric conditioners, dry cleaning and ironing as these may damage the garment.
Hand dry or tumble dry on a low temperature unless stated differently on the label. Tumble-drying helps maintain the DWR.
REPROOFING
How to Waterproof a Gore-Tex Jacket
Waterproofing a Gore-Tex Jacket will eventually be required because despite the inner layer being a breathable waterproof membrane, the outer layer (shell) of the jacket will lose its waterproofing, soak up water and stay wet, blocking the effect of the Gore Tex. Dirt, grease and muck will also hamper a coat’s breathability.Re-proofing is quick and easy for all waterproof breathable jackets using a combination of washing and technical re-proofing products such as those made by Nikwax or Grangers.
Step 1:
 Wash the garment using a soap-based wash such as Nikwax Tech Wash, or  you can also use pure soap flakes if you can find them in the shops.
A soap-based cleaner will remove dirt from the shell and Gore-Tex membrane. Do NOT use detergents, washing powder or fabric softener because these will block the pores in your Gore-Tex membrane and affect the breathability.
You can either hand-wash or machine-wash your waterproof jacket, but if you choose to machine wash you must remove all trace of washing powder and fabric softener from the machine beforehand, i.e. clean out the drawer and give the drum a quick rinse spin. Bear in mind that if you are using soap flakes, these can clog some washing-machine filters, so keep an eye on your machine if you do it often.
You can rub neat Tech Wash or soap into any areas with stubborn stains before washing. You can even use a soft nailbrush or old toothbrush, but be careful not to damage the shell material.
You’ll need about 100-150ml of Tech Wash per item, depending on how hard your water is.
Step 2:
Rinse the garment thoroughly in clean water or do an extra rinse-cycle in the washing machine.
Step 3a – if the jacket is worn next to the skin or has a wicking layer:
You don’t need to wait for the jacket to dry out from washing…
Lay the jacket out flat and spray the entire outer shell with Nikwax Spray-on TX Direct (or similar).
Make sure you cover all external surfaces of the jacket and leave the TX Direct to soak in for a couple of minutes.
Mop up any excess using a piece of kitchen towel – you don’t want pools of it to form.
Step 3b – if the jacket goes over non-wicking or multiple layers:
You don’t need to wait for the jacket to dry out from washing…
Repeat the washing process (hand or machine) but use 100ml of Nikwax TX-Direct (or similar) instead of Tech Wash.
Again, make sure that there is no trace of detergent, washing powder or fabric softener in your machine beforehand.
Step 4:
Either air-dry or tumble-dry the jacket, depending on what it says on its care label.
Step 5:
 Wear your jacket in the rain and marvel as water runs off it like it was brand-new again.
You should notice two things – the surface treatment causing water to bead and not ‘wet out’ the fabric. And also an improvement in breathability – usually best understood by you feeling less clammy.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy