Author Topic: TR Glyderau III  (Read 2567 times)

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
TR Glyderau III
« on: 08:04:55, 14/06/21 »
I had previously had my heart set on doing the Snowdon Horseshoe this weekend, but still in shock at the £18 parking charge for Pen-y-Pass, and the expectation that it would be very busy, I decided to give it a miss. I decided that arguably the next best scamble in Wales (and England) is Tryfan, so I opted to head to the Glyderau again.
As pdstsp had kindly informed me, Ogwen was also very busy at the weekend, so I decided I needed to head out early. I thus got to Ogwen just after 6am. Even at that time, the Ogwen Cottage car park was over half full, with more people arriving as I set out. As I walked along the edge of Llyn Ogwen, there were spaces in the lay-bys, but they were over half-full, particularly with vans and people sleeping in their cars. I later chatted to a chap on the hills, who said that he arrived at 6:45 and got the last spot in the car-park! Make no mistake, if you want to park in Ogwen at the weekend, you need to get there very early - as in before 7am!
Although the weather forcast was clear skies, there was a fair bit of light cloud as I approached Tryfan. In retrospect, this was probably a good thing, as it was warm and humid, even at 6 in the am.
Tryfan is unmistakeable - you can even make out the cannon from a distance.
I don't need to tell many on this forum, but Tryfan is without a doubt a scamblers paradise. In England and Wales, there's not really anything like it. It's like a "proper" mountain plonked in the middle of Ogwen Valley. It's mostly rock, and consists of crags of varying degrees of difiiculty.

I'd consider myself a scrambler of middling ability. I don't excessively fear heights, but I've got a healthy respect for the avoidance of falling. I also think that I've got reasonable route-finding abiities. I've only done the North Ridge once before, and I must confess that I had a bit of trouble route-finding, particularly on the lower sections. I guess it doesn't really matter, as there are many different potential ways up, but it is certainly possible to find yourself in slightly tricky spots.

The first section is unabiguous, as its a stone path which follows a rockfall.

The next section is more ambiguous. This time I kept to the left at the upper part of the rockfall, although if you go too far East, you'll end up on the Heather Terrace. As long as you don't do this, you seem to naturally converge on a flat area, with a fairly obvious route owards. This in turn takes you to one of the most famous spots in Snowdonia.

Going up from here now involves an intimidating face. When I was last here I saw a couple of guys going straight up from here. Obviously it possible, but I wouldn't try it unless I was with someone who could give me guidance. Instead, just to the left, there is a gully which takes you up without any exposure.

After a walking section, there's a similar face. Previously I had gone to the left here, but probably strayed off the route, as I then had to climb out of a gully. Taking the direct route seemed better, but it was quite exposed.
The final obstacle is the North Tower, but there are loads of footholds and handholds.

The summit feels like a "proper" mountain summit, and obviously Adam and Eve add to the drama.

My plan was to then carry on to Glyder Fach. I planned to try Bristley Ridge. Never done it before, but since Tryfan had gone without incident, I was feeling confident. From the path down the South Ridge of Tryfan, I had a good view of Bristley. My main concern was routefinding. Initialy I was aware that you need to take Sinister Gully, and that Dexter Gully was more difficult. Luckily, there is a style, with Sinister a few metres to the right.

You can see Bristley Ridge from here.

The view up Sinister Gully.

Also, there is a small section of dry-stone walling, so you know you're in the right gulley.
First thing I would say though it that Sinister Gully is not for the faint-hearted. It's quite steep, and quite wet. There's no exposure, but compared to eg Jack's Rake, it's much closer to vertical.

After SG, it then becomes quite a benign scramble, giving you fantastic views of Ogwen and Tryfan.

There are then two more sections that cause a little consternation. There is a small down-climb after one of the "bristles". I'm generally happy down-climbing (outward or inward facing), then there is the crux of the scamble - the Great Pinnacle. This is actually quite impressive to look at, tempered only by the thought of "how the hell am I going to get past that?".

Anyone who has done this will know that it's a mainly subjective obstacle. There's another down-climb, which if you are facing out, is looking out out to a large drop, then you are faced with large rock pinnacle looming above you. Once you pass behind the pinnacle, you realise there's a sheltered gulley leading up behind it, but you can defintely see that it could cause a "freak-out" moment for those who are out of their depth.

The rest of Bristley is pretty benign. On the whole, a great scamble, and probably trickier than many Grade 1's. There's not as much exposure as eg Crib Goch, but you have to be confident with your climbing abilities.

G Fach is always fantastic. The Cantilever, the summit cairn, and of course Castle of the Winds. It's quite a place.

The next obvious route would then have been to take Y Gribin back down, but it was such a nice day that I felt it would be remiss not to do the rest of the Glyder Circuit.
Onto G Fawr. The moonscape is always great.
I descended to Lynn y Cwn. Looking pretty.
Having some energy left, I took the final pull up to Y Garn. In retrospect, I was probably verging on overdoing it, as it was now getting quite hot. On the plus side, I always love  the views from Y Garn.

The route down to Ogwen from Y Garn is a cracker. You can just see some people camped by the tarn in the first shot.

All in all, a great route. Very hard work. It was less that 8 miles, but took 5.5 hours. There was over 1200m of ascent/descent, so that partly explains. Also much of the ascent was hands and feet. For some reason my app didn't record full calorie and HR data, but i was pretty exhausted at the end. Though I hate to whinge, it was probably a bit too hot and humid. The summits were very pleasant, but in the shade, it was quite sticky.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Glyderau III
« Reply #1 on: 09:14:59, 14/06/21 »
Fabulous write up and really informative too.  And wonderful pictures.

Glad the parking news helped, and that you got clear skies - my trip up Y Gribin and Glyder Fawr on Saturday was mostly in cloud.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:37:10, 14/06/21 »
A great circuit - thanks for posting O0

Had a nasty experience in that first Bristly Ridge gully - the party ahead of us dislodged what must have been half a wheelbarrow's worth of stones at the top, just as we were getting to grips with the start - swift avoiding action was needed, and some harsh words were said! Looks a lot less loose than my experience suggests in your photo - most of the loose stuff must have been knocked away in the intervening 38 years!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:17:27, 14/06/21 »
Fabulous write up and really informative too.  And wonderful pictures.

Glad the parking news helped, and that you got clear skies - my trip up Y Gribin and Glyder Fawr on Saturday was mostly in cloud.
Ta.

It certainly did help! The parking situation in Ogwen is definitely a little tight. I’m an early riser, but I would normal end up getting to Snowdonia between 7 and 8. In normal times, there’s loads of parking. Currently, I think you’d be lucky to get either on the car-park or in the lay-by’s at 8:00 on the weekends.

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:25:04, 14/06/21 »
A great circuit - thanks for posting O0

Had a nasty experience in that first Bristly Ridge gully - the party ahead of us dislodged what must have been half a wheelbarrow's worth of stones at the top, just as we were getting to grips with the start - swift avoiding action was needed, and some harsh words were said! Looks a lot less loose than my experience suggests in your photo - most of the loose stuff must have been knocked away in the intervening 38 years!

The last thing you’d want in Sinister Gully is debris falling down on you! I was very surprised how steep that main section was, certainly enough to psyche-out some. Granted, there are a lot of easy hand and foot holds (which turn out to be ok when damp), but it looks like quite a wall ahead of you. I’ve seen some people climbing up to the ridge from further up the scree path. Not sure how easy that is, but it avoids the gully if it’s busy (or you don’t like the look of it!).

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:25:26, 14/06/21 »
Why park in Pen Y Pass ?,

You can still attempt the  famous Snowdon Horseshoe, if you park further down the road, and if you park in the Conwy side, it's free parking.

It's enough reason to use your feet as a protest of a simply ridiculous parking charges.

If your fit enough to attempt the Snowdon Horseshoe, your fit enough to walk the extra 2.5 miles to not get ripped off.

The reason walkers are being exploited by Gwynedd council, is because lots of so called walkers are too lazy to make a stand, and park where there is no parking charges.

No doubt, when more people follow my advice, Conwy council will introduce their own parking charges, but that has not yet happened, so it's easy to avoid paying £18, park on Conwy council land.

Snowdonia can be enjoyed by all, and if £18 rightly puts you off parking as close to the mountain, park elsewhere.

The Snowdon Horseshoe is one of those legendary classics, so why pay a fortune, when there's ample free parking not that far away.

We all have a choice, get penalised for enjoying the outdoors, or avoid the more congested areas.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 06:17:05, 15/06/21 »
Super pics and write up  O0  I loved doing Tryfan, it is a great scramble up.
Hate will never win

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 06:48:29, 15/06/21 »
Why park in Pen Y Pass ?,

You can still attempt the  famous Snowdon Horseshoe, if you park further down the road, and if you park in the Conwy side, it's free parking.

It's enough reason to use your feet as a protest of a simply ridiculous parking charges.

If your fit enough to attempt the Snowdon Horseshoe, your fit enough to walk the extra 2.5 miles to not get ripped off.

The reason walkers are being exploited by Gwynedd council, is because lots of so called walkers are too lazy to make a stand, and park where there is no parking charges.

No doubt, when more people follow my advice, Conwy council will introduce their own parking charges, but that has not yet happened, so it's easy to avoid paying £18, park on Conwy council land.

Snowdonia can be enjoyed by all, and if £18 rightly puts you off parking as close to the mountain, park elsewhere.

The Snowdon Horseshoe is one of those legendary classics, so why pay a fortune, when there's ample free parking not that far away.

We all have a choice, get penalised for enjoying the outdoors, or avoid the more congested areas.
Those are fair points, but the Horseshoe is quite a tiring route, so adding a few miles when there is a perfectly convenient parking space close to the start, is a little jarring for some. “Lazy” is a bit unfair.

The road to PyP doesn’t really need any more pedestrians trekking up and down it. I’m not particularly a fan of the “avoid parking fees by any means necessary” attitude that is quite common among walkers. It’s fair enough using legitimate lay-by’s and on-road parking spaces, but once these as gone (and they normally are by early morning), it degenerates into a chaotic free for all of improvised parking spaces and blocked pavements. (Ogwen valley over Bank Hol was terrible - sensibly, the council/police introduced a 30mph speed limit on sections of the A5, as it would have been downright dangerous otherwise). It’s also reasonable to expect people to keep out of the roads, and use designated paths from their parking spots (rather than turning the A4086 into an additional footpath).

I suspect, irrespective of what they charge, they will fill the car-park, all the free legitimate spaces, and cars will spill over onto the roads and verges, so presumably the council’s attitude is “why not make a bit of extra cash”.

The simple answer is that of you have three choices, you either pay the £18, you use the park-and-ride from Nant Peris, or you find a free parking space on the roads/lay-bys and walk to PyP. Arguably the first two are more responsible, but it’s easy to feel like you’re being taxed for the PyP car-park.

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 06:53:27, 15/06/21 »
Super pics and write up  O0  I loved doing Tryfan, it is a great scramble up.
Cheers. I think for non-climbers, it feels like quite an adventure, particularly as it’s not over in an instant like some scrambles.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:17:15, 15/06/21 »
The road to PyP doesn’t really need any more pedestrians trekking up and down it...

I've just had a look at satellite imagery, and there is actually a well used permissive path running between PyP and PyG, to the south of the road.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:19:01, 15/06/21 »
Why park in Pen Y Pass ?.....walkers are too lazy.....

Is it really necessary to adopt such a hostile tone, DA?

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:55:22, 15/06/21 »

I've just had a look at satellite imagery, and there is actually a well used permissive path running between PyP and PyG, to the south of the road.
Yes, I think that’s relatively new, and it aims to keep the walkers off the main road. Unfortunately, I don’t think everyone knows about it!

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 10:55:30, 15/06/21 »
I am not using a hostile tone, i am just pointing out the obvious, to walkers, who may not be aware of the parking charge discrepancy in Snowdonia.

I am still amazed how many visitors, are either unaware of the free parking in Conwy council, compared to the Gwynedd side of the road.

Its just over a mile down the road from Pen Y Pass, to Conwy land, yet the majority choose to use Gwynedd to park, sometimes overstay their visit, and get a pretty yellow plastic bag stuck to their window.

£18 is having a serious laugh, at the expense of visitors to Snowdonia, so if theres free parking available, people should take advantage of it.

There is even safe free parking in Llanberis, if you know where to find it, and even free parking on the western side of the mountain.

There should be a small section on this forum, for us to highlight safe and possibly affordable parking in the areas of Britain.

I can guarantee, Gwynedd council, are only testing the water this year, with such an outrageous parking fee, if they realise people are willing to cough up such a high charge, it will become the norm.

I am sure most of us think and realise, most of this revenue is not being pumped back into footpath maintenance, its probably ending up in Gwynedd councils wider scheme of things.

Sorry for my hostile nature, its not intended, but we should make a stand against such daft parking charges.

If we do not protest, then its anyones guess how much parking charges will increase in other areas of the National Park.

Cumbria Council in conjunction with the National Trust, want £7 to park at their Wasdale Head car park, which in itself is a bit excessive, but whose to know, that may reach double figures in the future.

Most of us do not mind a fair parking fee, but somebody is on the make with charging £18 to park.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 14:32:52, 15/06/21 »
Superb pics once again O0
This is one of the few bits of Wales that I have been to before although I didn't get the views that you did

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:14:51, 15/06/21 »
Superb pics once again O0
This is one of the few bits of Wales that I have been to before although I didn't get the views that you did
Ta. I have to say that I’ve been very lucky this year. I’ve been to Snowdonia 5 times, and the weather and visibility have never been worse than good to excellent.

To add a bit of balance, an earlier visit to the Glyderau.

It was so wet and misty that I clambered onto the top of the wrong cairn thinking I had reached the summit, but in fact only got to the mini-cairn further down! (To make matters worse, the rock was incredibly slippy).

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy