Author Topic: quiet in ireland  (Read 9340 times)

gary m

• Veteran Member
quiet in ireland
« on: 20:43:05, 24/06/11 »
dont see much come from ireland, i would love to see some trip reports from this beautifull place
you have 1 life live it

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
Re: quiet in ireland
« Reply #1 on: 20:03:31, 26/06/11 »
Yes, it's a great part of the world.

Been a few times, but not recently. Although there is good walking, outside of a few well-known areas it is not always easy to find.

Catbells

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 06:44:39, 29/06/11 »
Perhaps a meet could be arranged one day?
Catbells, a truly lovely walk

lovinit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 07:46:07, 29/06/11 »
Yes, great idea Catbells.

I think a particularly interesting walk would be around the Jamesons distillery  :D .

GP, I agree that walking there is sometimes difficult, look what happened to me there once. I went on a cultural visit, enjoyed some of that very fine Jamesons and my legs refused to work?  The local dogs did ok though  O0

No one can go back in time & make a brand new beginning, but anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.

mendipman

« Reply #4 on: 15:41:06, 01/07/11 »
One of the main problems about walking in Ireland is the very limited number of footpaths; they seem to be found only in the National Parks. Otherwise you are walking on forest and farm  tracks or minor roads. There was one long stretch along the banks of the river Suir which was very pleasant. 

I walked the Irish Coast to Coast from Dublin to Bray Head in 2008, officially it was nearly 400 miles but with detours for a number of reasons I covered a total distance of 440 miles It linked up 6 ldp's, The Wicklow Way, the South Leinster Way, East Munster Way, Blackwater Way, Duhallow Way and finally the Kerry Way. Beautiful countryside and the most welcoming and friendliest of people you would ever want to meet; only one very bad experience when an unwelcoming farmer set his dogs on me and I was bitten by a German shepherd and only because I had asked if his farm was Hill Crest Farm where I was staying - it wasn't.

Catbells

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:56:51, 01/07/11 »
Yes, great idea Catbells.

I think a particularly interesting walk would be around the Jamesons distillery  :D .

GP, I agree that walking there is sometimes difficult, look what happened to me there once. I went on a cultural visit, enjoyed some of that very fine Jamesons and my legs refused to work?  The local dogs did ok though  O0

Lovinit! What is that dog doing??

letmeoutofhere

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:07:16, 01/07/11 »
 ;D ;D  I think the dogs head has fallen off in surprise.
But to stick with the thread, I'd like to go to Ireland again too.

Catbells

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:09:59, 01/07/11 »
Yes would be nice to do that LMOOH, I can get a plane from here in Southend now and dirt cheap...
Something to consider perhaps next year??

letmeoutofhere

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:33:19, 01/07/11 »
I'll put it on my list  ;D

Catbells

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:39:24, 01/07/11 »
My list is getting longer and longer and longer  :)

lovinit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:25:48, 01/07/11 »

Lovinit! What is that dog doing??

He was eating some chips that fell on the floor at the same time that I did  ;D
No one can go back in time & make a brand new beginning, but anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.

Catbells

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:33:25, 01/07/11 »

He was eating some chips that fell on the floor at the same time that I did  ;D
;D ;D ;D
Oh by the way Debs whats the Beacons like in September, was thinkin of coming up to visit you about then??

lovinit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:34:27, 01/07/11 »
;D ;D ;D
Oh by the way Debs whats the Beacons like in September, was thinkin of coming up to visit you about then??

Always wonderful - have a think of some dates and we'll arrange something  O0

Catbells

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:44:00, 01/07/11 »
okie dokie  O0

joncombe

« Reply #14 on: 21:25:53, 29/07/11 »
I went for a short break to Ireland earlier this year, staying in Dublin. I agree with other comments regarding the lack of footpaths in Ireland. It's a shame there are so few outside of National Parks.

Despite that, there are some good coastal walks near Dublin. The Howth Peninsula has a good footpath around it and there is also a good coastal path between Greystones and Bray (that said development of a harbour around Greystones means about a mile of it is along a path with fences for the building work on either side, so not great scenery wise. I decided to carry on north from Bray along the beaches as much as possible to Dún Laoghaire which was very enjoyable. All these places are easily reached on the train from Dublin.

I have some photos here :-

Howth : http://www.flickr.com/photos/joncombe/sets/72157626264690059/show/
County Dublin Coast : http://www.flickr.com/photos/joncombe/sets/72157626478052318/show/
County Wicklow Coast : http://www.flickr.com/photos/joncombe/sets/72157626444197998/show/

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy