Author Topic: Largest Hip Pack / Bum Bag  (Read 841 times)

MansfieldHQ

Largest Hip Pack / Bum Bag
« on: 11:02:46, 16/01/20 »
Hello folks, wondered if you could help...
I am looking for a hip pack/bum bag that will hold my disabled son's back carrier.
It rolls down to about 50x15x15cm possibly less at a squeeze.
It is soft material, like the baby Ergo ones but he is 22kg so it is jumbo size.
Can anyone recommend anything with a suitable sized main compartment?
Would prob need to be 7-8L I would think, maybe more...
Thanks!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Largest Hip Pack / Bum Bag
« Reply #1 on: 14:26:35, 16/01/20 »
7-8 litre quite big for a bum bag, but check out Lowe Alpine.

edit - Lowe do a 7 litre bag - the Space Case 7 - https://lowealpine.com/uk/space-case-7.
I have had a similar style bag from Lowe for decades, and have been very pleased with it.

Problem is, I don't see you getting something as long as 50cm into it.

PS - welcome to the forum.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:21:43, 16/01/20 »
Welcome from Portsmouth. Would you be better off with a small rucksack on your back?

MansfieldHQ

« Reply #3 on: 10:58:07, 28/01/20 »
Thanks for the welcomes and replies folks, sorry for some reason notifications were going into my spam.

@gunwharfman - the issue with a rucksack is having no back to carry it on once it is emptied of the carrier it will contain, if that makes sense?!

However, I have picked up two solutions:

Firstly, an Osprey Ultralite Stuffpack Rucksack which squishes down tiny enough to fit into the pocket of the back carrier itself. This is probably the best solution.
Secondly, I also picked up a 12L Haglofs Technical Waist Pack (from eBay, I think they must be discontinued) which fits the carrier neatly, with room to spare!

Butchersboy

« Reply #4 on: 11:42:54, 28/01/20 »
Thanks for the welcomes and replies folks, sorry for some reason notifications were going into my spam.

@gunwharfman - the issue with a rucksack is having no back to carry it on once it is emptied of the carrier it will contain, if that makes sense?!

However, I have picked up two solutions:

Firstly, an Osprey Ultralite Stuffpack Rucksack which squishes down tiny enough to fit into the pocket of the back carrier itself. This is probably the best solution.
Secondly, I also picked up a 12L Haglofs Technical Waist Pack (from eBay, I think they must be discontinued) which fits the carrier neatly, with room to spare!

Decathlon do a collapsible 10L bag for £2.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:19:12, 28/01/20 »
I saw those and bought one, it does the job of carrying my gaiters and rain skirt when it looks like rain. No need for me to pay more.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:00:00, 28/01/20 »
Mountainsmith Daylight is the largest lumbar pack I'm aware of - believe it comes with a cross strap to help if you are carrying something heavy in it.

Lowe Alpine Space Case is a great hip pack (I used mine yesterday in fact!) for walking but wouldn't fit anything 50cm - believe the main pocket would struggle with anything more than 20/25cm. 

A collapsible light backpack is probably your best bet.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy