Author Topic: Any one not use a sit mat?  (Read 2841 times)

Doddy

Re: Any one not use a sit mat?
« Reply #30 on: 10:06:21, 18/03/20 »
On a day walk I take a sit mat or a light collapsible chair, longer than that I don't bother. If the ground is wet I use a carrier bag I usually have with me.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 12:39:02, 18/03/20 »
Love my sit mat - cold hard bumpy rock transformed!

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 19:12:11, 18/03/20 »
I have no objection to sitting on grass or logs. It is just that I cannot remember the last time I came across any dry ground. ???
I always have a sit mat in my pack. As well as keeping dry it also acts as an insulator tostop heat loss.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 19:18:17, 18/03/20 »
it is very annoying to find you have closed up the rucksack and forgotten it, usually whilst still sat on it!
Totally agree. Frequently done that.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 21:14:13, 18/03/20 »
Clearly there is much love for the humble sit mat.  Be sure to include it on the kit list, should you ever provide one for others to use.  O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 21:59:28, 18/03/20 »
Clearly there is much love for the humble sit mat.  Be sure to include it on the kit list, should you ever provide one for others to use.  O0
I am the man who walks alone and I carry a mat for no man!   (And neither will my wife, who also walks alone with me!)  ;)
Once started, we walk until the end and stop for nobody and nothing (except views, stiles, gates and in her case cows).
Solvitur Ambulando

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 07:16:05, 19/03/20 »
On a day walk I take a sit mat or a light collapsible chair, longer than that I don't bother. If the ground is wet I use a carrier bag I usually have with me.

A light collapsible chair? I have never seen a hiker carrying a chair however light and collapsible. Intrigued. Picture or link to what this is.

I cannot believe many would want to add such weight to rucksacks already heavy enough - mine certainly is!

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 08:55:53, 19/03/20 »

A light collapsible chair? I have never seen a hiker carrying a chair however light and collapsible. Intrigued. Picture or link to what this is.

I cannot believe many would want to add such weight to rucksacks already heavy enough - mine certainly is!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lightweight-Folding-Camping-Chair-Portable-Outdoor-Fishing-Seat-Ultra-Light-UK-/324011357859?hash=item4b7094f6a3
Similar to what I paid more for.
I intend to swap the legs to carbon fibre ones sometime soon
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Ronin83

« Reply #38 on: 18:07:43, 19/03/20 »
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07C4WP7SZ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Lightest/smallest I've found, atleast without breaking the bank

Rigel

« Reply #39 on: 19:19:07, 20/03/20 »
More than 25 years ago,  my local branch of the Ramblers insisted that a mat for sitting on was compulsory kit. Sadly, I'm not longer a member. And I  have long since stopped using a mat. I was probably one of the youngest members (mid-twenties) back then, so just did as I was told. I was gifted a blue mat on permanent loan from an unnamed walk leader. Other rules; don't wear your boots on the coach, and don't wear your coat on the coach or you won't feel the benefit when getting off.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 19:59:42, 20/03/20 »
More than 25 years ago,  my local branch of the Ramblers insisted that a mat for sitting on was compulsory kit. Sadly, I'm not longer a member. And I  have long since stopped using a mat. I was probably one of the youngest members (mid-twenties) back then, so just did as I was told. I was gifted a blue mat on permanent loan from an unnamed walk leader. Other rules; don't wear your boots on the coach, and don't wear your coat on the coach or you won't feel the benefit when getting off.

Not sure if you are serious about being told that a mat was compulsory or if you are joking.
I can see the sense in not wearing boots on the coach, ditto wearing your coat, but if I had been instructed that about a mat I would have told them to kindly get stuffed.

Rigel

« Reply #41 on: 13:53:56, 21/03/20 »
Not sure if you are serious about being told that a mat was compulsory or if you are joking.
I can see the sense in not wearing boots on the coach, ditto wearing your coat, but if I had been instructed that about a mat I would have told them to kindly get stuffed.

Hi Fernman, I'm serious. If doing a walk graded A+ or A, you rarely sat down and the rule wasn't enforced. But on walks graded B+, B & C, not having a sit mat was heavily frowned upon.

There was usually 5-7 regulars on the A+ and the walk usually turned into a race, the walk leader always wanting to get back to the coach before the A and B+ walkers. I think the urgency to be back first ruined the A+ lead walks. The only difference between A+ and A was the amount of scrambling involved. And an 'A' walk had more ascent than a B+. I think the B+ walks could be anywhere between 12-18 miles. Some of the strongest and experienced walkers were B+ walkers, and rarely did an A+ walk because of this mentality. I think some of the most affable walkers had sit mats. But because I was younger, I was expected to walk A and A+

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 15:13:25, 21/03/20 »

Hi Fernman, I'm serious. If doing a walk graded A+ or A, you rarely sat down and the rule wasn't enforced. But on walks graded B+, B & C, not having a sit mat was heavily frowned upon.

There was usually 5-7 regulars on the A+ and the walk usually turned into a race, the walk leader always wanting to get back to the coach before the A and B+ walkers. I think the urgency to be back first ruined the A+ lead walks. The only difference between A+ and A was the amount of scrambling involved. And an 'A' walk had more ascent than a B+. I think the B+ walks could be anywhere between 12-18 miles. Some of the strongest and experienced walkers were B+ walkers, and rarely did an A+ walk because of this mentality. I think some of the most affable walkers had sit mats. But because I was younger, I was expected to walk A and A+
You will be telling us you had to wear a school tie next.   ;)    What a complicated grading system for a simple day walk.  :o   Our group walks nearly always include a race to the highest point of the walk.  O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 16:23:26, 21/03/20 »
Rigel - did you get to wear red socks outside your trousers or weren't you senior enough and were restricted to grey?
Solvitur Ambulando

Rigel

« Reply #44 on: 17:01:33, 21/03/20 »
Rigel - did you get to wear red socks outside your trousers or weren't you senior enough and were restricted to grey?

;D  The only red I wore was a then  ultramodern Gore-tex jacket. I feel that if I had a navy blue or green jacket, I wouldn't have been seen as such a Johnny-come-lately.  I should imagine it was the colourway of my jacket and my not having a sit mat that got me off on the wrong foot. If I remember correctly, it took a full 12 month's worth of Sundays  before I was a allowed to second a walk. I genuinely don't think they trusted me to lead a walk because I was only in my mid-twenties and had a dislike of Kendal Mint Cake. No self-respecting red-socked Rambler  is ever going to follow a twentysomething upstart who didn't even have his own sit mat. If I had the audacity to  wear red socks, I would have probably been named and shamed in the monthly  newsletter, and made to sit at the front of the coach!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy