Author Topic: B29 Superfortress - Higher Shelf stones Bleaklow  (Read 6594 times)

PaulBee

Until the hover-sofa is invented I'm unlikely to get my wife out walking anywhere challenging, my friends aren't really into it and my kids are still very young so I tend to go for decent walks all on my lonesome.  I've managed to get my mate interested in going for a walk, I tempted him with the promise of visiting a bit of destruction; come and see the crashy plane!

In his introduction thread on the welcome forum, Munch mentioned he was interested in going up there in the next few weeks as well.  Well, I thought, there's a bit of interest in this so a thread maybe in order.  One where the experienced can offer their wisdom and the inexperienced can offer their enthusiasm.

After tinkering with memory map, I thought I could park where the pennine way crosses snake pass and walk on up.  Munch mentioned much malicious mutiliation of many motors by 'ooligans there, so I thought I'd give that a miss.  It seems parking at Torside reservoir and following the pennine way from there is a sensible route.  Is it?

Are there nasty things to watch out for?  bogs, cliffs, remote tribes, dog poo?

If I come back then I'll put together a trip report, if I end up like Percy Fawcett looking for Z in the Amazon, then generations of explorers can come looking for my remains.
Twenty years of schooling and they put me on the day shift

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
Re: B29 Superfortress - Higher Shelf stones Bleaklow
« Reply #1 on: 14:41:56, 06/10/10 »
I recently attempted a Bleaklow walk, the route of which took in no less than five wreck sites! However, the weather was appalling and in the end it was cut short with just a visit to the Superfortress. I want to go back and do the full route I had planned but the young lady I took with me that day is now saying that she never wants to set foot on Bleaklow ever again, so I have a choice of either doing it on my own or as a forum meet up. I'm sure a few others would be interested in this it's just a case of setting a date really.
Current Munro tally: 78 out of 282 completed so far.

All 190 Welsh Nuttalls completed.

alanstarkie2001

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:18:48, 06/10/10 »
I recently found the F-86 Sabre crash site (below Kinder North Edge) and the Liberator site at Mill Hill and made a couple of videos. I quite fancy a visit. I might be interested as long as it doesn't entail 15 miles of boot sucking bog during a rain storm... No fun me, am I?
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:36:42, 06/10/10 »
Whilst I did attempt the walk in a rain storm, and whilst it was blowing a hoolie, the bogs weren't anywhere near as bad as I thought they'd be. Will try and pick better weather for the next one though!

Munch

« Reply #4 on: 23:06:53, 06/10/10 »
You can view the wreck site on google maps (see link)

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=53.45069,-1.865187&num=1&t=h&sll=53.450522,-1.864994&sspn=0.000649,0.002736&ie=UTF8&ll=53.450591,-1.865586&spn=0.000649,0.002736&z=19 [nofollow]

As you can see the crash site is only some 800 mtrs from the path. Don,t worry Paulbee the path will be easy underfoot no chance of getting your slippers wet as for off the path your guess is as good as mine. Have a good romp, Keep safe buddy 

si post fata venit gloria non propero

Pearsy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:13:43, 08/10/10 »
I love Bleaklow and would be interested in visiting the other crash sites as well as the "overexposed" site which I have been to many times.  I have parked up on the A57 loads up there (between mill hill and bleaklow) and have never had a problem

Hawkmoon

« Reply #6 on: 11:59:55, 09/10/10 »
I love Bleaklow and would be interested in visiting the other crash sites as well as the "overexposed" site which I have been to many times.  I have parked up on the A57 loads up there (between mill hill and bleaklow) and have never had a problem

I recently visited a few WWII crash sites after reading the book "Finding The Foe" by Andy Saunders. All very interesting but somehow Sussex, Kent and East Anglia just don't have the scenery!

One day I'll make a pilgrimage here:

http://ktsorens.tihlde.org/flyvrak/

Now that's a country with some spectacular crash sites and geography.  ;)

As Above, So Below...

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:59:27, 09/10/10 »

Sounds like I need to get my backside into gear and organise the 'Bleaklow Wreck Sites' walk that my minds been mulling over recently then! ;) ;D Like I said upthread, the route I planned takes in five wreck sites as well as Bleaklow Head. I think it comes in at around 12 miles IIRC and involves some off-path walking, gaiters strongly advised! ;D So who's interested then? :)

Micky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:59:08, 09/10/10 »
Sounds like I need to get my backside into gear and organise the 'Bleaklow Wreck Sites' walk that my minds been mulling over recently then! ;) ;D Like I said upthread, the route I planned takes in five wreck sites as well as Bleaklow Head. I think it comes in at around 12 miles IIRC and involves some off-path walking, gaiters strongly advised! ;D So who's interested then? :)

Put me down for that one Mike if I'm on my rest days I will definitely be there mate.  O0
Expect the best, prepare for the worst.

Pearsy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:42:47, 10/10/10 »
Hey Mike, long time no see. O0

Yes mate, date dependant I am definitely coming on that one!

Would you start from Torside or come up the ladybower side?

Munch

« Reply #10 on: 16:13:47, 10/10/10 »

I,m interested in the meet, depending on the date. Havn,t completed my 25 replies to access the meet section yet but hope to soon.  :-[

si post fata venit gloria non propero

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:35:15, 10/10/10 »
I'll have a look at when I'm going to be free and put some possible dates up. With any luck we'll find a day the suits everyone that's interested. O0

Would you start from Torside or come up the ladybower side?

Neither! ;D The route I planned starts in Old Glossop and ascends Yellow Slacks and returns via the Doctor's Gate path. O0

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:48:30, 10/10/10 »
Here's some date ranges that suit me:

Mon 25th Oct - Thu 28th Oct

Thu 4th Nov

Sun 14th Nov - Wed 17th Nov

Wed 24th Nov - Sat 27th Nov

So please specify your preferences from the above and we'll see if we can get this moving! O0

Munch: I can pass on details via PM until you reach 25 posts and get access to the Meet Ups board. I haven't started a thread in there yet anyway as I've just been gauging interest so far.

Pearsy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:22:19, 10/10/10 »
Only date i can do out of ALL of them is Nov 4th Mike. (shifts and half term and prior engagements) Dont let that stop the masses though. 

Somehow i knew you were going to make me walk Doctors gate  ;D .

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:32:41, 10/10/10 »
Only date i can do out of ALL of them is Nov 4th Mike. (shifts and half term and prior engagements) Dont let that stop the masses though.

We can add Tue 7th Dec and Tue 14th Dec - Fri 17th Dec to the list of possible dates if that helps? But by going that late the risk of there being snow on the ground is greatly increased and obviously snow cover would obscure the wreck sites from view! ;D

Somehow i knew you were going to make me walk Doctors gate  ;D .

One of the wrecks is scattered down Ashton Clough which leads us inevitably to the Doctor's Gate path... ;)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy