Author Topic: Advice please !  (Read 7024 times)

Ruthr

• Veteran Member
Re: Advice please !
« Reply #15 on: 13:53:24, 27/08/12 »
Think I've found somewhere, but still on the fence about Edale. It looks amazing and lots of walks from the front door. Only thing I'm worried about is the bus links (from what I've found) don't seem to be great from there and we may be a bit stuck for things to do if the weather is bad... any other suggestions?
Sponser Emma to walk Scafell Pike next month in aid of Brace and in memory of her Great Nan
http://www.justgiving.com/emmas-challenge

Ruthr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 13:59:45, 27/08/12 »
Other option would be to stay in Buxton- any thoughts on that as a base?
Sponser Emma to walk Scafell Pike next month in aid of Brace and in memory of her Great Nan

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 15:19:26, 27/08/12 »
Another option: base yourself somewhere in Amber Valley, or with access to it. (e.g. Derby, Duffield, Belper, Whatstandwell, Cromford, Matlock Bath, Matlock.)

A railway line runs all along it, and so do frequent buses (up and down A6). Walking is quite different from Edale, of course, not as "rugged", but actually probably harder to navigate.... certainly in Belper/ Shottle area ,for example, where stiles are well maintained, but paths are so seldom walked that line of path is not always evident on ground. Beautiful quiet valley, once you're 10 mins walk away from main towns such as Matlock or Belper.

Certainly plenty to do on rainy days... Belper is a world heritage centre, Derby a medium sized city (and 30/40 minute train ride from Nottingham and Sheffield).

A bonus for me is that pretty good hotel accom is available in Derby at a good rate (as cities go)... I don't "rough it" of an evening nowadays.

OutdoorsApe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 19:28:58, 27/08/12 »

There is a very nice rental opposite the Monsal Trail Car Park, Buxton is close by.
wrigglytin.co.uk
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 12:33:20, 29/08/12 »
Used to live in the Peaks, Bakewell, the BT era (before Tracey). I think I would go for somewhere like Hathersage.  The rail line gives access to Edale but there are local lower level walks along the valley, and also up on to the gritstone edges, a big gear shop with cafe to brouse in, and for really awful weather it is a very short train ride into Sheffield - which seems to have become quite a smart place now.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 12:42:57, 29/08/12 »

Buxton is a nice place for an afternoon, some good pubs, tea rooms, theatre and gardens but it is a bit of a drag from there to get to good walking by public transport. I would definitly go for the Hope valley option.

ianj37

« Reply #21 on: 14:55:42, 29/08/12 »
I see you mentioned Edale. Just be aware that on some days open access land on Edale Moor is closed, other than public rights of way, for shooting this time of year.  More information can be found  at www.openaccess.naturalengland.org.uk or by contacting Fieldhead Information Centre at Edale.

Ruthr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 09:40:03, 14/09/12 »
I think we may be going for Bamford. Anyone else stayed there before?

If anyone fancies meeting up for a walk I think we will be up there 26/10 - 31/10, just sorting out booking trains and accommodation today.

Ruthr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 09:45:19, 14/09/12 »
All booked now actually so we are def there for those dates :D :D :D

nod2

« Reply #24 on: 13:01:56, 14/09/12 »

If anyone fancies meeting up for a walk I think we will be up there 26/10 - 31/10, just sorting out booking trains and accommodation today.
Would have loved to have joined you but I'm away myself on those dates

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 13:19:39, 14/09/12 »
Hi Ruth, I'm a possibility, but will know for sure nearer the time.
roll on the weekend

Jellybelly

« Reply #26 on: 18:58:46, 14/09/12 »
i am available on the friday  but in scotland from monday to thursday if you want to meet up for a wander around those peaks
Is that so

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 07:54:23, 15/09/12 »
Ruth, I mentioned on FB that I'll be busy for one week in October, although I'm not sure when yet. :-\

If the dates don't clash, I'd love to meet up for a day! O0

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

poppypj

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 18:02:33, 15/09/12 »
Aidan and I might be up for it 29th to 31st as it's half term and I am of work too
Life. Don't talk to me about Life

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 18:43:42, 15/09/12 »
Stayed at the pub (windmill?) some years ago, an old mates meetup.  Meals weren't marvellous - better at the Yorkshire Bridge Inn and the Inn up by the reservoir bridge, forgotten its name.  Bamford is a good centre, access to the Derwent reservoirs as well as Edale.  Pleasant easy day up on to Win Hill from the back of the YB Inn.  And up to Stanage.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy