Author Topic: TR A few days at Stanage Edge Fri to Mon 8 to 11 May 15  (Read 6964 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Beefy and myself paid another visit to the Peak District at the weekend to try and do a bit of climbing. Sadly the weather put paid to any climbing or walking on Friday. It started raining when we got off the train at Hathersage at about 2pm. It’s about a 45 minute walk from the station to North Lees but luckily we managed to get the tent up before it started tipping down so we weren’t too wet. We decided just to keep dry in the tent rather than get soaked going for a walk.

When we woke up on Saturday it was dry but rather cloudy though we did get a few glimpses of the sun. The wind was bitter and it was really strong when we reached Stanage Edge. There were a few others out climbing including a group of children all in orange helmets.

Our first climb was where we started last year Square Chimney (I think it’s called) a moderate graded climb

Beefy climbed this twice but I didn’t do it. I was really cold with the bitter wind blowing and the rock was so cold it felt like you were putting your fingers on ice. I had done this one twice last year but it was weird I felt it was too difficult for me to do this time. It was too cold to carry on climbing so we did a walk along Stanage Edge instead. Most of the other climbers gave up too and all headed back down it wasn’t the weather to be climbing. The children who were there all left too and they all looked frozen bless them.

The trig near Cowper Stone

From Stanage Edge looking toward Higger Tor

The sun on Stanage Edge

Looking at the hills on the ridge walk near Edale from Stanage

Toward Higger Tor again

The rocks near Robin Hood’s Cave

Beefy at the cave

Beefy has been accused by a few on here for being a bit of a poser. Can’t see it meself like  :D

Some lambs near North Lees. Maybe it’s Maybelline

On Sunday we managed to do a bit more climbing because it was less windy and it was dry again. We went to another moderate that we’d done last year, Zip Crack.

Beefy abseiling down Zip Crack

Now at the bottom

I climbed this one first with Beefy belaying from the top. I found it more difficult than last year and I took ages getting up it. I got near the top and something got caught on my harness under the rock edge, I think it was the belay loop and I couldn’t move and get over the edge. I panicked a bit and managed to bash my leg as I eventually managed to free it and get over the edge. After inspecting the damage to my leg and mopping the blood with a tissue I then belayed Beefy up it and he flew up it like it was nothing  :-[

We went back to Square Chimney (not sure if it is called this) from the day before and I gave it a proper go. The wind had started picking up again though and it made for uncomfortable conditions. I got up most of it but just couldn’t get out from under the capstone to finish it and had to come back down. After trying a couple of times I gave up on it. I enjoyed this one though it was a bit more fun than the last one. Beefy did it again then we went off to try another climb a bit further along a diff rated climb. We started setting up on the top but the wind was now horrendous and we decided to call it a day. It was two o’clock, we’d been then for four hours so at least we got a bit of climbing done.

Looking back at Stanage Edge

Beefy’s Vango tent at North Lees

My right leg and the result of panicking at the top of Zip Crack

This morning we packed up from North Lees campsite with the wind still as strong as yesterday so anyone coming to climb today would have a buffeting on the Edge!

We both agreed we were a bit rusty as we hadn’t done much climbing or scrambling with concentrating on getting the Wainwrights done for Beefy. We are going to try do a bit more scrambling and climbing after we’ve done them. I feel I’ve lost confidence and I’m not the same person who did Needle Ridge last year that’s for sure. Just like last year the weather wasn’t ideal for climbing and we got even less time to climb this time. We really enjoyed base camping though with the luxury of the big tent and the Peak District is a lovely place to visit whatever you end up doing. Thanks Beefy although the weather wasn’t great you were still very good company and you were as entertaining and funny as ever  :)
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR A few days at Stanage Edge Fri to Mon 8 to 11 May 15
« Reply #1 on: 21:29:47, 11/05/15 »
great TR and pics Ape ...  O0
the  wind was bloomin freezing eh ...  :(
We'll be back ...  ;D
Beefy has been accused by a few on here for being a bit of a poser. Can’t see it meself like  :D
Oi ...  >:( :tickedoff:
I feel I’ve lost confidence and I’m not the same person who did Needle Ridge last year that’s for sure. Thanks Beefy although the weather wasn’t great you were still very good company and you were as entertaining and funny as ever  :)
you did ok Ape, confidence levels change from one day to another, the wind was really cold and blustery we didnt exactly have ideal conditions,  :)
you were very good company as usual, i wonder if a certain guy on the campsite is wearing a certain item of clothing  ...  ;D ;D ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:39:13, 11/05/15 »
i wonder if a certain guy on the campsite is wearing a certain item of clothing  ...  ;D ;D ;D

;D  ;D
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:12:04, 11/05/15 »
I dread to think what the above comment is referring to  :o

Is North Lees still a nice site? I camped there loads in my teens and it was the first site I stayed on without any adults to keep an eye on us giving us the chance to try to kill our selves on Stanage.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:38:26, 11/05/15 »
Nice one April O0 
Your leg looks like it could have been bit by a squirrel (poor squirrel ) ;D
that's enough of messing around in forn parts...get back to the lakes pronto :D

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:39:59, 11/05/15 »
Best not to mention the item of clothing  ;D

Ridge it is a pretty quiet campsite. A group of lads consumed quite a few cans of lager between them judging by the amount of empties in the recycling on Sunday  ;D They were a bit loud but they didn't stop us sleeping we were out for the count  :)
Hate will never win

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:41:48, 11/05/15 »

Your leg looks like it could have been bit by a squirrel (poor squirrel ) ;D
that's enough of messing around in forn parts...get back to the lakes pronto :D

This year a squirrel got Aprilitis then?  :D

Back to the Lakes this weekend  ;D
Hate will never win

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:09:50, 12/05/15 »
Great TR April and nice pictures, i hadnt looked at the forecast for the Peaks but hoped it was better for you but alas it wasnt  :(
I didnt know you went climbing last year i thought it was just Beefy as i remember reading a TR somewher, anyway well done both of you that climbing thing is not easy  O0
Hope your leg is ok and the squirrel  ;D

If you thought your campsite was loud you should have been in Borrowodale as there were some right nutters keeping the hostel up past midnight on Saturday  ;D
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:34:39, 12/05/15 »
Not sure abseiling is for me (rubbish head for heights) but it's nice to read something a little different on here, nice report and pics April  8)
roll on the weekend

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 23:25:11, 12/05/15 »
Variety is the spice of life, as they say. Great report April  O0

I'm not sure about your leg injury ......looks to me more like an intentional bite and suspect that one of the Peak rock trolls took a dislike to you clambering all over his domain  ;)   Or perhaps too much chattering woke him up, they can be bad tempered if disturbed.
If you need any more information on such creatures just let me know - as I'm also quite disturbed  :D
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:47:20, 13/05/15 »
Great TR April and nice pictures, i hadnt looked at the forecast for the Peaks but hoped it was better for you but alas it wasnt  :(
I didnt know you went climbing last year i thought it was just Beefy

Cheers Rhino  :)  The weather wasn't great and it doesn't look any better for this weekend either  ;D

Yes I did  a bit of climbing with Beefy last year. Needle Ridge with Midweekmountain lead climbing being the highlight. There is a TR and a VR on here in the Lake District section.

Not sure abseiling is for me (rubbish head for heights)

Thanks Trenchfoot  :)  I'm not sure abseiling is for me either. Beefy keeps saying I should learn how to do it  ;D

suspect that one of the Peak rock trolls took a dislike to you clambering all over his domain, they can be bad tempered if disturbed.
If you need any more information on such creatures just let me know - as I'm also quite disturbed  :D

;D  Bloomin Peak District Trolls  >:(  I already knew you were quite disturbed IM  ;D
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:37:51, 13/05/15 »

I didnt know you went climbing last year i thought it was just Beefy as i remember reading a TR somewher, anyway well done both of you that climbing thing is not easy  O0

here it is Rhino ...
i forgot how badly bruised Aprils legds were ...  :o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLFO6AsBV4g
« Last Edit: 19:46:25, 13/05/15 by beefy »
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:02:00, 13/05/15 »

Cheers Rhino  :)  The weather wasn't great and it doesn't look any better for this weekend either  ;D

Yes I did  a bit of climbing with Beefy last year. Needle Ridge with Midweekmountain lead climbing being the highlight. There is a TR and a VR on here in the Lake District section.

Thanks Trenchfoot  :)  I'm not sure abseiling is for me either. Beefy keeps saying I should learn how to do it  ;D

;D  Bloomin Peak District Trolls  >:(  I already knew you were quite disturbed IM  ;D

Psst ! - How do you do multiple quotes ?
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:24:12, 13/05/15 »

Psst ! - How do you do multiple quotes ?

SShhhh! After doing one quote and then answering click on the next quote and answer. I'm not sure how else to explain it! I am a bit tired, just back to work after 10 days off trying to catch up  :(
Hate will never win

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:27:25, 13/05/15 »
here it is Rhino ...
i forgot how badly bruised Aprils legds were ...  :o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLFO6AsBV4g

Hard to do multiple quotes on a tablet I find, on that at the minute!

It was great to watch that again beefy. It makes my efforts on Stanage really feeble  ;D I am determined to get back out there and get back to where I was last year  :)
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy