Author Topic: Trip Report Kinder Scout  (Read 7024 times)

C2C09 Shaun

• Veteran Member
Trip Report Kinder Scout
« on: 12:48:32, 30/05/13 »
Well its finally here, its a bit overdue but, I'm a very busy man, honest ;D ......but its here now  O0
Kinder Scout via Grindsbrook Clough and Jacobs Ladder 07/05/2013

Woke up bright and early and first thought of the day was, wondering how Ruth was, hoping that she'd had a good night, due to having "Face Ache" her words not mine, the day before and there was a chance that she would have had to pull out at the last minute. Which would have put a downer on the day as Andy, Ruth and I have become a formidable walking trio and it just would not have felt right without Ruth scurrying along with us? Her rapturous laughter and sense of humour would have been missed. However, I received a reply to my text at 06:11 hrs saying she was feeling Ok and would be setting off soon. So that was good news, my only concern was from where Ruth lives to where I live is about a 50 minute drive on a good day...........(quick check in at work to find out where the speed cameras would be operating)!! If there is one thing we love about Ruth, it's her consistency.........consistently late!!! But I suppose it's her prerogative seeing as how she had kindly offered to drive and she had not being feeling well the day before  :(

However, shock horror!!! Ruth arrived at my house at 07:27 hrs, (I'll see if I can sort out your speeding tickets Ruth) 3 minutes before we had to pick Andy up. A quick stop to put some GoGo juice into Ruths automobile....petrol is far to expensive in the UK!! :(

At 07:45 hrs and we were on our way, fastest route set in my Satnav, should be in Edale in time for a 10:00hrs start....happy days. A180 / M180 no problems, M18 traffic came to a grinding halt, but not to worry because the SATNAV will get us there via the best route avoiding traffic...........how wrong could we be, for some reason it took us via the most indirect route you could imagine. We hit bottle neck after bottle neck, but Ruth did us proud and eventually got us into Edale train station car park, some three hours after we set off......... however we were all still in high spirits (No Ruth had not been drinking Vodka, lime and lemonade on route) and looking forward to starting the walk, but not before the obligatory team photo prior to setting off, courtesy of Ruth.......(note to self Ruth, don't forget to press the shutter release), but after 4 attempts our first photographic record of the day was taken. O0

The sun was out, we had clear blue skies, and white clouds with no threat of rain whatsoever. So at 11:16hrs we put our best feet forward and left the train station car park, turning left, for a short stroll along the road, past a church sitting proudly on a small hill, the first land mark along the route.

Soon followed by the second land mark "The Ramblers Inn", possibly our watering hole on our return. A short distance along the road we turned right onto the track taking us downhill slightly to cross a wooden bridge over a small stream and straight onto the steep but gradual ascent at the start of Grindsbrook Clough.

The start of the walk provides the opportunity to get the legs stretched and warmed up; we took a steady walk along the top of the valley, on an easy underfoot paved track. Taking every opportunity to take photographs for our records of the day.........that was our excuse and we're sticking to it!!

As we continued our ascent it got gradually steeper but still not causing any problems or concerns, then as we went round a small bend on the track, the real challenge reared its head in front of us and it was just as I remember it from when I took the challenge on a few years ago (a lot younger but not as fit back then). The following hour or so was good fun and although not as tough as I remember, it made the walk even more interesting.

Looking back at the start of Grindsbrook Clough

Still got a fair way to go

Andy taking in the view of where we had just come from

Ruth in her element of a bit of a scramble

Hands on and a bit of dodging around small streams and after a bit of a scramble at times, we made it to the Kinder Plateau. The views had been stunning all the way up the ascent and now we just had an equally stunning mass of open land in front of us. Some easy walking ahead of us, we carried on towards Kinder Downfall. But before reaching that mile stone we had the masses of Peat Bog to contend with.  Fortunately the weather over the previous few days had not been too bad, so we were hoping the bog would be reasonably good and passable. In bad conditions gaiters are an absolute must in this area, and more importantly your navigational skills need to be quite good, especially in poor visibility conditions as the track through the bog is not very well defined and you often need to snake your way around the worse parts which will take you off track and will / can add a fair bit of distance to your route.

Anyway, we started to snake our way through the bog trying to keep to the track as best we could, with my Satmap keeping us in the right direction (best bit of kit I've ever purchased, but still carry map & compass). I wasn't too concerned about getting too far off track, because I knew Ruth had her compass with her....eh Ruth!! We were doing reasonably well working our way through the Peat bog, I seemed to be at the front most of the time for some reason (method in their madness) I took what appeared to be a good route at one point and came across a rather boggy looking area, but it didn't look to bad, a small leap and we would be over it. So poised like a coiled spring I went for it........left foot landed on solid ground, right foot landed a good 10 inches into the bog  :( fortunately it was quite dry compared to what it normally is and just filled my boot with damp peat. We finally found our way back onto the track and followed the well defined dried out stream leading to Kinder Downfall. It was at this point, Ruth came down with a bit of a fever........Disco Fever (video to follow) after a bit of feet shuffling and bum wiggling we rounded a corner and reached the Kinder Gate and shortly after that arrived at our mile stone Kinder Downfall. Presenting us with an absolute stunning view over towards Kinder reservoir, when the conditions are wetter and the waterfall is in full flow it presents quite an amazing view, but alas, conditions were dry and not a single drop of water to be seen going over the edge. We stayed at this location for a fair amount of time, while Ruth and I captured the moments on film (SD cards) and Andy found himself a nice little snug, now aptly named Andy's chair.

Andy in his chair at Kinder Down Falls

Ruth at the edge of Kinder Down Fall

Me at the edge of Kinder Down Falls

At the Kinder Scout Trig point

Our trek continued, along a very well defined track and good ground underfoot, until we reached the Camel back rocks, where we stopped for a bite to eat and a well deserved break. Thirty minutes or so and we were back on our feet and on track towards Jacobs Ladder. Passing the infamous Pigs Head rock and probably the most photographed rock in the country, it would be rude of us to break with tradition, so after a couple of snaps we were on our way again.

The infamous Pigs Head Rock

Not much further along the route and we turned the corner and had Jacobs Ladder beckoning us, we all agreed that we were pleased that we were going down it and not up it. I've done it before and it's a long hard slog up hill.

Jacobs Ladder

We ploughed on and after long descent and painful knees; we finally made it the bridge at the foot of Jacobs Ladder, where I asked a burly, sweaty bloke to take a photograph of the three of us to prove that we had achieved our goal (note to self, check the photos before letting the guy go) heads down, funny faces, eyes closed and finger over the lens, but we were there. A simple stroll back to the train station (he says) still a good way to go and as we walked through a small farm area past a couple of cottages we were presented with a rather daunting looking hill!!!! it was at this point that I truly thought Ruth and Andy were going to beat me up, to answer your questions, YES we do have to go up it, but not right to the top!!!! Tired legs and few descriptive words later we could see the final leg of our route back. Andy obviously got the sniff of the beer as he all of a sudden got his second wind and was off like lighting, leaving Ruth and me behind, while Ruth photographed some lambs that were only probably a few days old. We caught up to Andy and the three of us strolled through a bit of woodland and as we came to the end were welcomed by the grand site of The Hikers bar, we agreed that it was probably the most apt and best choice to go for our celebration beverage..........however, decided to go back to the car first, and rightly so as we still had not completed the walk until we got back to the car. Back at the car and after the customary handshakes hugs and kisses (Andy you must stop doing that to me, you're married) we donned our normal footwear and swiftly (but not too swiftly eh Ruth) made our way back to the Hikers Bar. After a well deserved alcoholic beverage and a couple of bags of nuts, we wended our way home. Which I'm pleased to say was a lot quicker than our journey to the start of our trek. Excellent day, superb walk and even better company. If you ever want a couple of good walking partners, you want go far wrong by walking with Ruth and Andy.......... the three of us make a fearsome team, happy days.

Follow this link to see more photographs
http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/ShinysheffD80/library/Kider%20Scout
« Last Edit: 17:15:18, 30/05/13 by C2C09 Shaun »
www.catchlights-photography.com

Everything in Life happens for a reason

The Peat Hag

Re: Trip Report Kinder Scout
« Reply #1 on: 13:38:19, 30/05/13 »
Ooh, you've made me homesick for the peaks - thanks for a great TR.  Kinder's one of my fave places, can't wait for the opportunity to get back up there  :)   
Peat is a 4 letter word.....

yorksgal

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:03:42, 30/05/13 »
Nice trip report Shaun, oh and I'm never following your satnav again. It was a great day from start to finish and the weather was good too. Thanks to you and Andy for the walk and the pleasant company too.

I've some photos too so I'll,post the, once I get round to it.

C2C09 Shaun

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:03:38, 30/05/13 »
Ooh, you've made me homesick for the peaks - thanks for a great TR.  Kinder's one of my fave places, can't wait for the opportunity to get back up there  :)   

Next to the Lake District, the Peak District is my favorite place for walking. need to get myself back there on a more regular basis :)

C2C09 Shaun

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:15:41, 30/05/13 »
Nice trip report Shaun, oh and I'm never following your satnav again. It was a great day from start to finish and the weather was good too. Thanks to you and Andy for the walk and the pleasant company too.

I've some photos too so I'll,post the, once I get round to it.

It was our pleasure, as always  ;D ;D Looking forward to seeing your photos, I'll get your strictly come dancing audition sorted out and get it posted on here. ;D ;D ;D O0 

haha the SATNAV was OK it was all the traffic jams it was trying to avoid for us...........The long way round!!!
« Last Edit: 17:31:00, 30/05/13 by C2C09 Shaun »

Cathy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:39:48, 30/05/13 »
Wonderful trip report, it looks like you had great weather, t-shirts all round. The 3 of you are made for each other  O0
Quit your jibber jabber, get some nuts

C2C09 Shaun

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:47:22, 30/05/13 »
Don't know what's happening but photographs are going missing from the TR :o >:(

Cathy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:53:05, 30/05/13 »
Huh, how can that be possible  ??? technology, don't you just love it and hate it
Quit your jibber jabber, get some nuts

C2C09 Shaun

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:02:49, 30/05/13 »
Huh, how can that be possible  ??? technology, don't you just love it and hate it

:crazy2:  Don't know how!!!! But its only one photo and the links at the bottom of the TR also keep dissappearing I've put them all back on four times now  :tickedoff: :tickedoff:  maybe I've over loaded the WF allowance with text and Pics  :(
« Last Edit: 17:29:00, 30/05/13 by C2C09 Shaun »

C2C09 Shaun

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:46:13, 30/05/13 »
Wonderful trip report, it looks like you had great weather, t-shirts all round. The 3 of you are made for each other  O0

Cathy, we couldn't have wished for better weather and yes we do make a good threesome  :D :D  when out walking O0 

C2C10

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:04:53, 30/05/13 »
Sounds you three, had a lovely time and good weather. Good write-up and photos too, Shaun. Will have a good read later, when I've drank 5 cans of Budweiser. Yes, back on the good old binge drinking :( , blaming work for that. 

carolina2k9

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:58:13, 30/05/13 »
great read and great pics..looks like you all had a good day  :) 
Happiness is only a Hill away :-)

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: 22:39:34, 30/05/13 »
Nice trip report mate, My wifey looks good in short shorts lol.

Thanks for taking the time to post all that mate I understand the effort you had  O0    
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

C2C09 Shaun

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 00:08:04, 31/05/13 »
Nice trip report mate, My wifey looks good in short shorts lol.

Thanks for taking the time to post all that mate I understand the effort you had  O0    

Haha, Andy and me threatened to get our legs out but she said she would do a runner, we didn't want her to get lost in the peat bogs even though she had her compass lol.......

Just took a bit longer than planned mate, I had half of it written within 24 hours of doing the walk but as you are aware there are various things taking control of my life a bit at the min.....but not for much longer hopefully :)

C2C09 Shaun

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 00:21:37, 31/05/13 »
great read and great pics..looks like you all had a good day  :)

It was a great day, I love walking in the Peak District and it makes it even more enjoyable when you are with great walking partners :) :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy