Author Topic: From Kirk Yetholme to Edinburgh?  (Read 1018 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
From Kirk Yetholme to Edinburgh?
« on: 12:55:25, 20/01/19 »
I'm trying to think ahead and am toying with the idea (nothing more than this at the moment) in April of walking the Pennine Way again and when I get to Kirk Yetholme to continue to walk on to Edinburgh where my son and his wife live. Obviously, if I think about it properly I could decide to join the Pennine Way anywhere along its route but its the Kirk yetholm to Edinburgh route that interests me the most at the moment. I have Googled the idea in and have come up with the Scottish National Trail. Has anyone on the Forum walked this route before? If so what did you think of it? I'd be very grateful for any information.

Doddy

Re: From Kirk Yetholme to Edinburgh?
« Reply #1 on: 16:32:42, 20/01/19 »
Not sure how much this will help. On my sectional End to End
(to Cape Wrath, not JoG [/color]  
via Fort William) I followed jbutlers.org.uk South of Scotland route from Kirk Yetholm. His information will give you mileages etc. As ever I wild camped it but he says he used public transport links as there are plenty of BnBs- his route would get you to Kirknewton not so far from Edinburgh. The route is based on Hamish Browns route which gets you to
Almondell Country Park even nearer to Edinburgh. Of course I went west near Broxburn.[/color]  

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:00:47, 20/01/19 »
I've recently read Cameron McNeish's book on the Scottish National Trail - "Scotland End to End"- not his best work, to be honest, although his description of the route that you are interested in is good, with lots of history thrown in. The book somehow loses it's way when it enters the Highlands.

The route follows St Cuthbert's Way from KY to Melrose. The last day of this would be good, as it takes you through the Eildon Hills, which I climbed a few years ago (worth a diversion to the tops as they are excellent viewpoints), and down into Melrose, a beautiful small town full of history (we stayed in in our camper van at the town's caravan site).

The route then follows the Southern Upland Way westwards for a while, before dropping down to the Tweed Valley and Peebles. There is a disused railway line running between Innerleithen and Peebles that has been converted into a cycleway - I have walked the section from Cardrona into Peebles, very pleasant (and there is a good small café on the western side of Cardrona). We stayed at the Rosetta campsite on the NW side of town.

The route from here then follows drovers roads to West Linton, and over the Pentland Hills, before picking up on the Water of Leith Path, which leads all the way down to the coast at Leith through western Edinburgh - I've walked a bit of the lowest section.
« Last Edit: 17:38:11, 20/01/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:21:28, 20/01/19 »
Some info on the Water of Leith path - http://www.waterofleith.org.uk/walkway/

And a basic pdf map - MAP

Walk Highlands do a section on the Scottish National Trail - https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/scottish-national-trail.shtml

I would cross to the north side of the Tweed at Traquair to pick up on the cycle way that I mentioned earlier - better than walking along the B road to Cardrona (what a wonderful name!) - https://cyclescottishborders.com/route/tweed-valley-railway-path/. And the maze at Traquair House is recommended - as is the beer!
« Last Edit: 17:30:01, 20/01/19 by richardh1905 »

Doddy

« Reply #4 on: 17:31:20, 20/01/19 »
Richard I recognise that early part of the route.

ron6632

« Reply #5 on: 04:37:19, 21/01/19 »
A route worth considering would be the cross borders drove road, which is a fabulous (if sparsely waymarked route). From Kirk Yetholm you would take St Curhbert’s North, then Borders Abbeys Way west, which links up with it and shares a route for a while from Hawick.   

The route itself takes you towards Kirknewtown just outside Edinburgh (it actually ends in the middle of nowhere on the A70), but does cross the pentlands (at West Linton) allowing for a link to Balerno and the Water of Leith Walkway. 

The route also passed through Peebles.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:21:47, 21/01/19 »
A route worth considering would be the cross borders drove road...

Indeed - the Scottish National Trail follows the Cross Borders Drove Road out of Peebles.

http://www.southofscotlandcountrysidetrails.co.uk/where-to-ride/cross-borders-drove-road/

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy