Author Topic: Ultralight waterproof jackets  (Read 1714 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Ultralight waterproof jackets
« on: 10:28:14, 30/06/19 »
I was reading the Great Outdoors online magazine this morning and they have a gear guide and have tested various ultralight waterproof jackets, the cheapest is about £130 up to well over £200.

My first thoughts and knowing how I deal with rain is, what's the point in spending so much money when I know I have achieved the same end result for £15? Obviously, if people want to spend out and can do so then that's fine but personally, I rather spend such money on clothes that are much more useful to the hiker and of course food, drink, fares and so on.

And of course, even if you decide to spend out on such a jacket, for most people they would then feel the need to budget for waterproof trousers as well.

harland

• Veteran Member
Re: Ultralight waterproof jackets
« Reply #1 on: 11:18:53, 30/06/19 »
I can't  remember how much my Berghaus waterproof jacket, not ultralight, cost in 2005.  However, not being an expert on clothing and being well over 6' tall I took the advice of the guy in Cotswolds where I have always had good advice.  It was a "long" jacket so that doesn't leave a gap around my middle.  It was and still is thoroughly waterproof so that with a pair of waterproof trousers I can be totally dry all day.  Could I have got something better/cheaper, I don't know however I am pleased at the advice I got.
« Last Edit: 14:06:42, 30/06/19 by harland »

motorlaunch

« Reply #2 on: 11:23:58, 30/06/19 »
Gwm, you need to tell us what your £15 solution is.  ::)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:05:20, 30/06/19 »
Gwm, you need to tell us what your £15 solution is.  ::)
I could have saved you a tenner!  https://direct.asda.com/george/womens/coats-jackets/navy-floral-pac-a-mac/GEM689636,default,pd.html
And no-one would have trouble finding you!  No wonder it sold out - bargain.
Solvitur Ambulando

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:06:01, 30/06/19 »
GWM, your rather unusual approach might suit you but I can't see it working for me or many other people either. Yes I have a lightweight jacket and trousers, they weren't cheap but they are waterproof and do breath to a reasonable extent. Their about five years old and have kept me dry in some very heavy weather sometimes lasting for days on end, so far they are showing no sign of wearing out.     

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 06:00:36, 01/07/19 »
Decent Goretex type waterproofs for mountain use tend to be in the £250-400 price range. It's why I never understand complaints about Paramo - not only are they at the cheap end but they also last a lot longer.
My ultralightweight for running cost about £120. It has a mass of 108g and is very breathable yet still able to cope with moderate rain. It's the Ultrashell from inov8 if anyone's interested.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:13:27, 01/07/19 »
I've had a Paramo Alta 2 for a number of years now, it cost me £250 then. My 'complaint' about it is that it's too hot to wear in the warmer months, it does not pack down small and its hard to do anyway without its own little bag to push it into (the material is too slippery) and I tend to collect a lot of inside perspiration when exerting myself and I've never been entirely convinced as to how waterproof it actually is? This could be of course the difficulty I have in deciding if the inner layer is wet simply because of perspiration, or because it just leaks? I 'proof' it often, this seems to help but only for a few months. My zip has now broken so I don't use it anymore, except to go down to my local in the winter.

Given a choice between types, I prefer single skin jackets like the Marmot Precip, which is fairly cheap and effective buy anyway when compared with other branded jackets.

For me, I've tried to move on in my thinking about the types and intensity of weather and now realise that rain, except for odd days and times of the year, or locations, is not such a big issue. I'm sure, based on my own experience, that over the years my time hiking in dry weather far exceeds my time hiking in wet weather.

In the end it comes down to personal choice and how much anyone wants to spend or can spend out to achieve what they want from a garment. All I know is, that in my case, my £15 jacket performs just as well as my £250 jacket.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:40:54, 01/07/19 »
Montane or OMM spring to mind, when ultra lightweight waterproofs come to mind.
My last purchase in the waterproof dept, was a Highlander cheap and chearful £19 affair, bought in the walking shop in Perth.

There's nothing technical about it at all, but blimey its waterproof, as i tried it up Glyder Fawr some weeks ago, in some heavy rain showers.

It may have only cost £19, but its fit for its purpose of keeping you dry in a heavy rain shower lasting several minutes.

Another good option, is to look at some of the very high tec cycling waterproofs, designed to keep cyclists drywhen the weather is rough.

Some of them are extremely light weight, and packable, but like most of the top end equipment aimed at cyclists, their not cheap, but their very lightweight, if thats your main criteria for buying one.

The Highlander is probably not very effective in heavy prolonged rain, but for a waterproof that comes in its own stuff sac, its a great addition to keep in the boot well of your motor, in case of an emergency.
« Last Edit: 11:47:41, 01/07/19 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 23:13:37, 11/07/19 »
When I began 'proper' walking a few years ago, I bought a very cheap waterproof jacket (and over-trousers) from Mountain Warehouse. I walk briskly and the jacket made me sweat unbearably. I tried some other MW jackets which were either sweaty or not at all waterproof before accepting that you get what you pay for and buying a Berghaus Paclite 2.0 jacket and over-trousers from Cotswold Outdoor. I think I paid about £160 in total. Now I stay completely dry and relatively unsweaty, and they're light enough that I carry them in my backpack however good the weather forecast is!  :)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

taxino8

« Reply #9 on: 05:45:34, 12/07/19 »
I too use Berghaus Paclite jacket and trousers.
I got mine from Gaynors shop in Ambleside in the sale section downstairs about eight years ago.
I can’t remember what I paid but it was over a hundred pounds but I think it was money well spent.
Generally I’m pretty much dry but sometimes if I’m on a particularly hard slog up a hill I do sweat a lot and I can get damp inside.

motorlaunch

« Reply #10 on: 08:28:58, 12/07/19 »

[size=0px]

[size=0px]I have found the lightweight jackets aren't robust. They are designed for cyclists with no weight on their backs.  A rucksack puts pressures on the material that causes it to delaminate. Montane responded to a complaint about damage to the fabric saying it was not designed to be used with a rucksack.  

nesty

« Reply #11 on: 13:11:09, 27/07/19 »
I have one of those Highlander jackets I got mine for something like £17. It's ok, it's waterproof, the hood is excellent, though I have only used it for a light walks urban wise, I can't yet compare it breathability wise against my Marmot Preclip or Paramo!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy