Author Topic: Christmas Day walks - how far did you get?  (Read 2526 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Christmas Day walks - how far did you get?
« on: 08:39:09, 26/12/18 »

We managed a family walk early afternoon before the main meal, down to the local beach and back; 1.5 miles
And as the moon rose, I managed to stagger a couple of miles with the dog. Total for the day - a modest 3.5 miles.

Best Christmas walk was when I was a bachelor boy living in the Conwy Valley - I was on my own and rather than just do the 'stagger down to the pub' thing I decided to make a day of it in the mountains. Set off at first light, up the road to Llyn Cowlyd, then over to Cwm Eigiau, then up a snow clad Carnedd Llewellyn before retracing my steps and cooking my Christmas Dinner on a cheapo meths stove in the shelter of the old Eigiau quarry buildings - Marks and Spencers extra hot chicken curry, washed down by Carlsberg Special Brew!
Returned all the way down the Land Rover track and minor road from Cwm Eigiau in the gathering darkness, and had a long plod along the 'B' road from Tal-y-Bont to Trefriw - not much Christmas spirit shown towards a lone hitchhiker!
A magnificent day that sticks in my memory.

Anyone else out yesterday?
« Last Edit: 10:21:22, 26/12/18 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Christmas Day walks - how far did you get?
« Reply #1 on: 08:44:18, 26/12/18 »
Not out yesterday apart from house - car - church - car - house. I dread to think how few meters I walked.
Off out this morning for a few miles with friends before calling in to a cafe for coffee and cake incase any of us don't have enough food at home.
« Last Edit: 08:58:38, 26/12/18 by Ridge »

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:56:00, 26/12/18 »
Several trips into the garden to feed the neighbourhood feral cats. We had 8 of our nine regulars appear at least once (and several quite a few times) plus one local domestic cat. Despite reports to the contrary, they are very happy to meet our eyes, rub against our legs, miaow and be stroked - all to different degrees, depending on the individual cat and it’s particular mood on the day. 😺

It would have been a great day for a walk in the hill. It was cold and frosty (-8 overnight) with a clear blue sky and sun. It should b3 like this for most of the week, so hopefully I will drag myself up from the chair and make the most of the conditions. Unfortunately, Mrs. BF_M dorsn’t Like walking uphill any more. I have tried telling her that a circular hill walk is flat on average and that almost half of it is downhill to no avail.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:04:24, 26/12/18 »

A paltry 1.3 miles round the local nature reserve to feed the ducks..

Richard - That sounds like a magnificent Christmas day walk to me. I'll suggest it to Mrs HH for next year. I think I know what the answer will be though.. :D

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:07:59, 26/12/18 »
My daughter and I always take our dog for a walk mid morning in that window between getting dressed, opening presents etc and the Christmas dinner, leaving my wife to cope until I return to help her.

Straight from the door, Freddie has a Christmas scarf around his collar, I wore my reindeer hat and my daughter her Christmas pudding hat. We walked  along the Peak Forest Canal, through woodland, finishing by a deepish stream to wash the mud off Freddie before returning home 4 miles later, picking up a bone biscuit and a miniature hero bar from tubs left out by a neighbour with a sign saying ‘Merry Christmas’  O0
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:38:34, 26/12/18 »
Mawgan Porth beach yesterday with the family. The tide was right out so took the chance to explore some of the caves with the grand children. Not many miles but a fun afternoon before the mizzle set back in. Taking my daughter’s collie back with us today so dog walks in prospect, not that it needs much these days
Solvitur Ambulando

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:13:00, 26/12/18 »
Managed a quick walk up the hill behind the house between prezzies and lunch.  Not a very big hill, less than 3 hundred feet, but I do start at sea level.  I'll try to do a bit better today though.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:14:22, 26/12/18 »
The Nebit, Ben Ever, Ben Cleuch, The Law Hill and back via Millglen to Tilicoultry then through the woodland trust back home. About 8 miles, saw two others both on the Nebit within sight of the village.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:26:39, 26/12/18 »
I'll suggest it to Mrs HH for next year. I think I know what the answer will be though.. :D

My wife has certainly been up for some Christmas Day walking in the past  - when we lived in Dolwyddelan many years ago we had a crack at a snow plastered Moel Siabod, but on the SE ridge the snow was in places thigh deep with a crust. We persevered for a while, quite fun in a way floundering around in the snow in the bright sunshine, but about half way up the ridge we looked back down the hill to Dolwyddelan, and could just make out our house - thoughts of sitting in front of our woodburning stove with food in the stomach and a dram in the hand got the better of us.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:55:05, 26/12/18 »
Two walks with the dogs yesterday - first one before breakfast to which all the kids have to attend no matter what level of hangover they are suffering from.  Eldest was at prospective in-laws yesterday, and middle one works in restaurant, so we didn't have lunch until about 7.30, so another walk up a part of the Sefton Coast Path in the afternoon to tire the dogs out.  Very unusual Christmas day for us.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:59:37, 26/12/18 »
Just over 3 miles this morning.
Couldn't push on too far with my 81 year old Dad with us but lovely to walk with him.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:32:25, 26/12/18 »
On Christmas Day I had a stroll on the seafront between church and lunch.  Today I did a short walk from the Devil's Dyke in the South Downs.

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:45:11, 26/12/18 »
Usual three miles around the village on Christmas morning. It was rather nice, everyone greeting me with Good Morning, or Merry Christmas. More people out than normal, dog walkers, kids, like they had made an effort.

ilona

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:50:54, 26/12/18 »
Never left the house all day exepct for taking the rubbish out.  (Out climbing with my son today though)

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 07:31:47, 27/12/18 »
Three miles - to my mate's house and back.
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy