Author Topic: Jacobs Ladder  (Read 17650 times)

Crag Rat

Jacobs Ladder
« on: 12:53:42, 28/07/06 »
I am planning a camping trip next weekend to Edale with a couple of non-walker friends.  I have agreed to take them up Kinder Scout.  Having not done KS before I can't wait.  I'm planning our route to head through Jacobs Ladder but I'm unsure as to whether this is a good idea.  Can anyone tell me what Jacobs Ladder is like??  Is it scrambly?  I don't want to overface my non-walking friends but at the same time I'd like to have a bit of excitement on the route and an easy scramble would be ideal.

« Last Edit: 12:38:26, 31/07/06 by Crag Rat »
....because it's there....

titaniumdude

Re: Jacobs Ladder
« Reply #1 on: 01:01:02, 31/07/06 »
If you want to get the best out of Kinder Scout don't bother with Jacobs Ladder.  Yes it is a fairly challenging accent, but it is the old bad weather route to Kinder Downfall.  The most fun way to do this is to go up  Grindsbrook Clough, which I would class as a grade 1 scramble (you will need to use your hands) and then deck across Kinder Plateau through the bogs (gaiters obligatory if its rained within the last few days).  This is a notorious navigational blackspot though so a GPS would be useful, esprcially if mist descends (which it frequently does, and there are no landmarks anyway).  I visit this little mountain ferquently and have great respect for it as it is easy to come unstuck.  Recently I did not pay close enough attention to the weather report and got caught in a full blown electrical storm which lasted more than an hour and I was very near the trig point (OOPS!).  The view from Kinder Downfall is wonderful.  Enjoy. :)
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

Crag Rat

« Reply #2 on: 12:41:31, 31/07/06 »
Cheers for the advice TD - I think I'll give Jacob's Ladder a miss and take your suggested route.  Let's hope I don't get us lost on the Plateau!!!

......anyone got the number for Edale Mountain Rescue...??

.......just in case of course!  ;D

Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 22:00:44, 31/07/06 »
I've been up Jacobs Ladder 2 or 3 times. It is a steep but easy route up, with the steep bits paved with steps. No wonder they call it Jacobs Ladder it's just like climbing a ladder.

It's a good point of ascent/descent for a walk through the fascinating scenery on the southern edge of the Kinder plateaux.

Crag Rat

« Reply #4 on: 13:29:58, 01/08/06 »
Ohh!  Now I'm not sure what to do!!!  ;D

Crag Rat

« Reply #5 on: 20:25:59, 08/08/06 »
Well I had a fantastic weekend camping in Edale.  We went up Jacobs Ladder and onto Kinder Downfall where we were terrorised by hungry sheep keen on my cheese sandwich!  ;D

From Downfall we headed across the plateau back towards Edale Tower.  The groughs make it an absolute nightmare and I must admit I felt a little nervous as we began.  But, trusting in the compass we soon spotted Edale Tower and headed straight for it.

We descended back down to Edale via Grindsbrook Clough - a fantastic walk and would recommend to anyone (with good navigational skills).

I shot a whole reel of film so I will I'll post some photos soon.   ;)

titaniumdude

« Reply #6 on: 01:03:10, 14/08/06 »
We took a route around Edale this weekend without taking in jacobs ladder or Grindsbrook clough.  We took the same innitial path, but instead of going up G Clough we turned NE at the hut along the path.  On reaching the top of this hill we took a path that went via Druids Stone and Madwomans stones.  We then navigated the few miles across Kinder Plateau to Kinder Downfall via the trig at gr 129878.  From kinder Downfall we took the Pennine Way back to Edale Cross, followed th path and turned roughly south too Brown Knoll where we followed an invisible trail to the ridge at Rushop Edge, followed this for about a mile and half to take a direct descent back to Edale via Hardenclough Farm.  And made it back for a pint or three of Nags 1557.  This is a pleasant route for those with about 10 hours to spare and takes in a lot of boggy ground.  Yes the 'groughs' do make this hard going, but so much more fun. ;D :) ;D
« Last Edit: 01:05:51, 14/08/06 by titaniumdude »
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 20:12:11, 14/08/06 »
I like Rushop Edge, sort of reminds me of a mini Striding Edge. And the ridge continues all the way to Lose Hill. A nice walk.

titaniumdude

« Reply #8 on: 19:45:35, 27/09/06 »
Went for a late evening hike around here last weekend.  Kinder Plateau is a totally different place at night and can be fairly treacherous underfoot.  Got some pretty good snaps of the sun going down though.

titaniumdude

« Reply #9 on: 23:31:48, 27/09/06 »
Came across this scarey face constructed out of stones (the teeth and eyes seemed to glow in the moonlight) complete with a clump of grass for hair.  Our dog didn't know what to make of it and started to growl and tentatively nudge it.  Most amusing.  Not the first thing you expect to see at night in the Peak District. ;D

daddylonglegs

« Reply #10 on: 08:31:57, 17/11/06 »
HA HA!!!! can't believe I've stumbled across this!!!!
Me and my girlfriend made that head back in September....the 24th if I remember correctly!
Hope I didn't freak out your dog!  :D

Here's another pic of old stoneyface!.....

titaniumdude

« Reply #11 on: 02:57:46, 21/11/06 »
Just shows ya what a small universe we live in ;D.  I did wonder whether the owner of this contemprary work of art would stumble across this topic and it tickles me that it has happenned.  It was the evening of the 24/09 that we found old stonyface. It was pitch blck with near zero moonlight so that only the teeth and eyes were spotted at first.  You did make us chuckle on our descent.  Don't think the hound has suffered any post traumatic stuff.  I think she's too busy dreaming about cuddly bunnie wunnies and what she'd like to do to them. :o

False_Summit_Veteran

« Reply #12 on: 16:40:05, 28/02/07 »
Jacobs Ladder was my first organised scramble.  I was a bit wary only having really done walking prior to that, but looking back now it was easy, I dont know why I worried.  Very busy route, extremely popular, enjoyable though.
Any Moel's a goal.

Crag Rat

« Reply #13 on: 17:00:06, 12/04/07 »
Well, it's been a while since I was on this site - so here are a couple of photo's from the trip last August as promised (bit late now though!!)  :)

M J B

« Reply #14 on: 21:10:07, 12/04/07 »
great pics!
I came down Jacobs ladder today. Great days walking, went slightly off route once maybe twice  ;)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy