Author Topic: What's in your emergency pack?  (Read 4115 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: What's in your emergency pack?
« Reply #15 on: 14:35:08, 09/07/18 »
I've come to the conclusion that theres nothing I (with no medical knowledge) could do with plasters that gaffer tape wouldnt do a similar job for in an emergency situation i.e. until I got help. - and also can be used to create a sling / repair a waterproof / etc.

I kind of agree, especially about the plasters, but on one occasion I was very glad that I was carrying a large dressing.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 15:01:40, 09/07/18 »

I kind of agree, especially about the plasters, but on one occasion I was very glad that I was carrying a large dressing.

I'm the same. I've tripped and gashed myself Nothing so bad I'd have to stop and turn home but bad enough that it needs attention. So I carry a basic first aid kit. Clean the wound  up with an alcohol wipe and dress it with a proper dressing that's sterile, breathable and non-stick and you're good to go with much less chance of getting something really bad like sepsis.

I carry a couple of plasters for little nicks like cutting myself with my knife, alcohol wipes, a couple of dressings, one proper bandage, blister plasters and various pills - ibuprofen, anti-diarrhea, valium etc.

I'm mostly thinking of stopping stuff ruining my trip. A stomach upset or a blinding headache will really spoil your day but is relatively easily solved with a couple of pills.

On the non medical side I have a whistle with a compass in it, some paracord (laces, guy ropes etc), Tenacious Tape for tent and sleeping bag rips, duct tape wrapped around a tent pole, a lighter.

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 00:45:51, 10/07/18 »
I only day walk, and only in good weather, and my husband always knows where I've gone.

plasters, painkillers, whistle, torch, boot lace, and an extra layer of clothes, plus a waterproof jacket- my phone is my real emergency tool
extra water in this heat too.
 :) :)

Doddy

« Reply #18 on: 12:00:25, 19/07/18 »

I carry a large wound dressing. I did upgrade from the duct tape fixes. A wound dressing can be put together with duct tape and toilet paper. However the thought of the removal of it in ER would not be something I would look forward to.
Similar a few suture strips, minute weight, but much easier to use than cutting strips of duct tape, plasters -which might or might not stick on for long.
It has to be borne in mind that you may not be dextrous enough to fashion a duct tape fix.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 06:35:09, 20/07/18 »

Why would you carry a space-blanket and an emergency shelter when you are already carrying a Tent, mattress, and a sleeping bag ?

I would view the following as 'emergency kit' (everything else can be sorted by the 'normal' planned kit) Emergency Kit is just that - to help get out of / resolve an unplanned 'situation'.
Boot laces
Pen Knife
Whistle
Spare Batteries
Lightweight (175g) Wood stove for when / if I run out of gas.
Spare guy-rope, Spare tent pegs, Spare tent pole repair splice.
Spare Spectacles.
Sewing Kit
Mirror / Heliograph
Few metres of Paracord

Why would you carry spare laces and a spare guy rope when you carry a few metres of Paracord? 

My Basic emergency kit* -
First aid kit
Steristrips.Zinc Oxide Tape.Sterile Dressings.Self gripping bandage.Folding scissors.Safety Pins.Alcohol wipes.Immodium.Ibuprofen.Dioralyte.Compeed.Other ItemsSOL emergency bivi.Length of Paracord.Whistle.Firesteel.Swiss Army knife.Head Torch.

*Basic EMK - This is normally the stripped down summer version and the minimum I'll carry for emergency situations, other things do get added as the seasons change.

« Last Edit: 08:02:47, 20/07/18 by Bhod »
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 07:52:28, 20/07/18 »
Why would you carry spare laces and a spare guy rope when you carry a few metres of Paracord?

A boot lace weighs 5 grams (less than 1/4 of an ounce) It has ferrules on the end to be able to slide it thru the boot eyelets. A length of paracord, will have to be cut, will weigh no less and has frayed ends which means heat sealing which will tend to enlarge the end. Using Paracord means hunting it out of the pack, finding a knife, measuring the length, cutting, finding a lighter, sealing the ends, put everything away. - I'd rather use a boot lace.

A spare guy rope weighs considerably less than paracord and has a tensioning slider incorporated into it, should a guy snap (not very likely. but, be prepared) its a simple job to toggle another in its place.

I'm all for keeping weight down, but if its a choice between 1/2 an ounce or ease of use I know which I'd go for.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 09:15:28, 20/07/18 »
Nope. I'm with Bhod on that one. A clean cut and you can thread easily through eyelets and easier around toggles. Plenty of knots to substitute for guy toggles. Also cord can be used to repair broken rucksack straps, substitute  trouser belts, repair broken walking pole, tourniquets , slings and many other uses.
I carry some in my pack. As well as a few plasters , scissors, lighter, gaffa tape around my waking poles, spare prescription and medicines  (only if on a long walk), small sewing kit (ready threaded needle and white thread, Compeed plasters, and a small travel size bottle of olive oil/ T tree oil mix for my feet.
Oh and a couple of spare tubes of fruit pastilles.
 I carry batteries and chargers for my phone/ GPS , antiseptic spray, toilet paper but see them as essentials rather than emergency use. I have a strong aluminum triangular tent peg I use as a scat shovel, dual purpose.

Interesting to see what others carry.

Today in Northumberland again having a go at walking coast between Seaton Sluice  to Newbiggin by the Sea. There is no accepted path as such and involves road detours around the Rivers Blyth and Wansbeck.  Setting off soon, just finishing my brekkies
Too little, too late, too bad......

RogerA

« Reply #22 on: 09:23:23, 20/07/18 »
Different people, different approaches, I guess theres no perfect kit list suitable for everyone. Whats the harm carrying an additional item or two if they offer peace of mind or more conveinience. Its all good - very interesting to see the different appraoches and see whats important to others.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 09:49:06, 20/07/18 »
Different people, different approaches, I guess theres no perfect kit list suitable for everyone. Whats the harm carrying an additional item or two if they offer peace of mind or more conveinience. Its all good - very interesting to see the different appraoches and see whats important to others.
O0 O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 11:04:20, 20/07/18 »
I've thought about a spare lace but in normal day walking, as opposed to multi-day trips, I've never carried one.  I always check my laces when I clean my boots and replace frayed laces then. However, generally I find that the plastic aiguillettes wear out long before the laces making the laces hard to thread to the point where I replace them for that reason; what happened to the metal lace tips?.  In recent years, I've only have a lace snap once when tying a boot, I knew it was on the way out but thought I could get away with it.  On that occasion I just tied the broken ends together and re-threaded the lace from the knot outwards.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 11:05:17, 20/07/18 »

Indeed; each to their own, and it depends upon what you regard as an emergency (I certainly wouldn't regard a headache or a broken bootlace as such).

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 11:06:33, 20/07/18 »

On that occasion I just tied the broken ends together and re-threaded the lace from the knot outwards.

^ this. Hardly an emergency. :)
« Last Edit: 12:14:32, 20/07/18 by richardh1905 »

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 11:31:40, 20/07/18 »

Indeed; each to their own, and it depends upon what you regard as an emergency (I certainly wouldn't regard a headache or a broken bootlace as such).

As I suggested in post#5 "what is an emergency" and when does 'normally carried kit' become 'emergency kit'.

Example ;
You only plan to be out for 1 day. so carry 1 days' food + 'a bit extra' (just in case you get the 'wobbles'), is that emergency food or just good planning ?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 12:14:06, 20/07/18 »

As I suggested in post#5 "what is an emergency" and when does 'normally carried kit' become 'emergency kit'.

Example ;
You only plan to be out for 1 day. so carry 1 days' food + 'a bit extra' (just in case you get the 'wobbles'), is that emergency food or just good planning ?

Indeed. Good planning; same as taking waterproofs on a sunny day.

I would regard an emergency as a situation where an injury occurs, or life is threatened. For example - Unable to continue due to broken ankle, or lost and hypothermic on a winter's afternoon.
« Last Edit: 12:21:38, 20/07/18 by richardh1905 »

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 12:44:15, 20/07/18 »
Alan & Richard, the OP asked what was in the emergency pack, not the esoterics of emergencies.
P.s. currently eating fish n chips in Blyth.  Not an emergency. But much appreciated. Next a road hike around the outskirts to get over the River Blyth.
« Last Edit: 12:47:53, 20/07/18 by jimbob »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy