Author Topic: Sunhat choice  (Read 6819 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Sunhat choice
« Reply #30 on: 16:02:40, 25/04/20 »
Before deciding I also asked my sister, Tilley, or what? She looked them up online and her first response was don't buy the Tilley, the public will think you're some old Gippo ducking and diving through the fields and woods! She said the Tilley reminded her of our Uncle Abi (Abraham) visiting when we were children, he's dead now but he was a long time scrap metal merchant, who always but always wore a sparkling white shirt, a black bow tie, black trousers, black shoes, black socks plus a black trilby. If he was hot he'd take the long coat off, neatly fold it and carry it over one arm. The only vehicle we ever saw him drive was a Bedford open-backed lorry but what we most remember him for, which always made our eye pop wide open, was the large wadge of banknotes that he always carried on him. We both remember the day when he gave us both a 10 shilling note for Christmas, we thought we'd really hit the big time!

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 17:52:00, 25/04/20 »
What about the Bubba Gump shrimp company hat :)

I had to look that up.
I'll keep my opinion to myself, but I'm wondering how you knew about them?  :)

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 13:21:53, 26/04/20 »
Update. I decided to buy the Sunday Afternoons Ultra Adventure hat. In the end, my wife pointed out that I do not have 'the right kind of head' for a Tilley and she would not like to think of me going running in one either, it just wouldn't look right!  :)
Looking at the timestamp when you posted this, they may send you a Saturday Afternoon one.
But will probably be a Tuesday Morning Ultra Adventure.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 13:57:13, 26/04/20 »
I agree that the New Balance English team cricket hat, would make a better quality alternative to the Tilley hat.
With very slick marketing, and advertising, companies can overcharge for a well made sunhat, but paying the other side of £70 for a Tilley, does not represent good value.

Its the same with Dyson vacuum cleaners, bombard the public with very professionally made advertising, and you can charge a premium price for your products.

People think that because the  product looks amazing, visually, then they must be worth the inflated asking price.

Certain models, cost over £500, and their simply not worth it, but he sells large numbers of them, so people must be taken in with the advertising, and look of the things.

The Tilley hat, is well made, but its certainly not worth £70.

Realistically, its a hat that's worth no more than £30, but many people seem to think their worth the high price, so good luck to them.

There are equally better hats, costing a lot less.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 14:07:26, 26/04/20 »
I agree that the New Balance English team cricket hat, would make a better quality alternative to the Tilley hat.
With very slick marketing, and advertising, companies can overcharge for a well made sunhat, but paying the other side of £70 for a Tilley, does not represent good value.

Its the same with Dyson vacuum cleaners, bombard the public with very professionally made advertising, and you can charge a premium price for your products.

People think that because the  product looks amazing, visually, then they must be worth the inflated asking price.

Certain models, cost over £500, and their simply not worth it, but he sells large numbers of them, so people must be taken in with the advertising, and look of the things.

The Tilley hat, is well made, but its certainly not worth £70.

Realistically, its a hat that's worth no more than £30, but many people seem to think their worth the high price, so good luck to them.

There are equally better hats, costing a lot less.
I could not believe the price you quoted.  A quick Google reveals you are £20 off and that is without bargain hunting.  You are also neglecting the lifetime guarantee that they do honour.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 14:16:14, 26/04/20 »
Dyffryn, I can see where you are coming from. Maybe a bit like mobile phones and the way they market their models. If you trust WHICH they claim that the Samsung Galaxy S10 5g at £1,099.00 is the BEST of them all, but just a few points behind them is the Oppo RX17 at £229.00!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 14:28:36, 26/04/20 »
Dyffryn, I can see where you are coming from. Maybe a bit like mobile phones and the way they market their models. If you trust WHICH they claim that the Samsung Galaxy S10 5g at £1,099.00 is the BEST of them all, but just a few points behind them is the Oppo RX17 at £229.00!
Or the Samsung A50 at a similar price.
Solvitur Ambulando

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 14:46:41, 26/04/20 »
If you do not stop talking about Tilley hats I will end up buying one. Then have to explain my rationale for buying one,  to the good wife...& that`s living dangerously.  :o

A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 14:57:24, 26/04/20 »
If you do not stop talking about Tilley hats I will end up buying one. Then have to explain my rationale for buying one,  to the good wife...& that`s living dangerously.  :o
It would bring out your inner Indiana  :)
Solvitur Ambulando

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 15:11:18, 26/04/20 »
How about this...maybe get some advertising revenue while you walk...& they ask £20 too. :o

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 15:57:16, 26/04/20 »
There are Tilleys here £48 including postage. If you fancy taking a chance with E Bay. The seller looks Kosher though.

Sorry link is not working..But it is the hat shop salisbury

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 16:07:03, 26/04/20 »
How about this...maybe get some advertising revenue while you walk...& they ask £20 too. :o

Does it come in other colours?  ;)
In the gliding world that style of hat was called a pundit's hat as it was a style favoured by instructors and experienced aviators.  I have a bright yellow one with the Tour de France logo on it which was a freebie from the TdF publicity caravan (the best bit of the race IMHO)
Solvitur Ambulando

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 16:14:57, 26/04/20 »
The Tilley hat, is certainly well made, but like a lot of skilfully marketed items of clothing, its sold at a very inflated price.
Its almost a status symbol, like a high end Swiss watch, that shows the person can afford one, it does not represent good value.
There's a lot of quality headwear on the market, and most of them are a lot cheaper than a Tilley.

Your simply paying for the name, a product endorsed by a lot of professional outdoor people, most of whom were probably given the hat by Tilley themselves.

I

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Solvitur Ambulando

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 16:44:48, 26/04/20 »
Everything in Canada is overprices, except coffee, that is dirt cheap.
Strange country, it is like being in the UK in the 1970s, except everything looks up to date.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy