Author Topic: Last Chance Before Winter....Hiking the Gr10..Luchon to Cauterets  (Read 1601 times)

Stephen Mac

Bonjour :) . It's been a while since I put up any posts on here (can't think why) but I have been keeping busy. My latest international trip was a return to the Pyrenees to continue my occasional Odyssey along the Gr10. Being something of a contrarian I am heading from East to West O0 . If I can I like to squeeze in a late Autumn or early winter trip as I find it helps to shorten the dreary winter. Here is a link to the latest story. I hope you enjoy and I'd love your feedback. Many thanks,
Stephen :-*
https://howlingmist.blogspot.com/2018/10/a-return-to-gr10-luchon-to-cauterets.html    

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Stop it - you are making me homesick.  I used to love walking that area - the central Pyrenees are an absolute paradise for hiking and Luchon is a great jumping off point.
The walk up to the Lac d'Oo was one of my milk runs when we had visitors.  It was a great place to see Izards while eating lunch at the refuge.  Incidentally, the chef would walk up every day and jog down after he had finished - made me feel totally inadequate.
Solvitur Ambulando

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Great read and some fabulous pictures there. 

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Thanks Stephen, bought back memories of my GR10 2015 hike, I walked the oppoisite to you and I didn't go down to Garvarnie. I regret that. I too had a pair of boots wear out on me, in the end I did the last few days in cheap trainers.

I'm going to get out my map later and reread the details of your hike. Thank you again.

GnP

• Veteran Member
Some great images Stephen. Enjoyed looking at the sundrenched early days of your journey particularly.
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I had a really good read of your journal last night with my map in front of me. Memory always surprises me because as I read and looked at my map, odd memories appeared in my head. I presume that something acts as a 'trigger' in my brain and I found myself smiling to myself time and time again. Loudenville for instance, I remember it was there that I had an enourmous Peche Melba ice cream, plus all the trimmings and two large black coffees as well served in a white bowl with no handles! Then Germ, as I walked along the narrow road in your photo the sun was shining brightly and I felt good, but within a few miles the weather became dreadful, thick mist and heavy rain! I do remember that as I walked onwards I passed through an area of small hazel nut trees to my right and then out of the mist and gloom I walked through a cutting in a large rock. No idea why these two memories came to mind but they did. On that day I just can't remember where I slept the night before or the night after?

I'm going to have another go later, I'm intrigued as to what other memories might seep out from my mind?

Stephen Mac

:D Cheers guys. Thanks for the kind words. The reason I decided to start this blog was so I could have a record for myself into advancing years. Even now I get a kick from going back over old posts. I  must edit some of the earlier ones as I still remember extra details. I'll put up a few more soon.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy