Author Topic: Lightweight shoe advice please  (Read 1438 times)

Jenmcc

Lightweight shoe advice please
« on: 14:10:02, 15/01/20 »
I am new to posting on this forum. I have tried to search for the answer to my question but no posts quite answer it.
We are walking LEJOG this year using B&Bs and carrying everything. I will be mostly wearing my trusty and comfortable Scarpa Terra GTX boots. I have been thinking about also taking a pair of lightweight walking shoes to use on the inevitable country roads/forest tracks/towpaths etc. And for the pub in the evenings.
Does anyone have any recommendations, thoughts etc? They will be in addition to the Scarpas not a replacement.
Thanks

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Re: Lightweight shoe advice please
« Reply #1 on: 15:08:26, 15/01/20 »
The Oboz Sawtooth Low may possibly be worth adding to your list to have a look at. They're available in both waterproof (B-Dry) and non-waterproof versions and are not going to break the bank at £50 and £45 respectively.

https://www.magic-mountain.co.uk/collections/oboz-2/products/ob-21402-wms-sawtooth-low-bdry#

https://www.magic-mountain.co.uk/collections/oboz-2/products/ob-20602-wms-sawtooth-low

Something from the Inov-8 Roclite range may also be worth checking out and seems to get mentioned a lot on here although I'm not sure just how durable they are these days since they changed to a graphene sole and they are quite pricey. They used to wear out very quickly and leak like a sieve.

WILDWALKINGUK

« Reply #2 on: 07:57:00, 16/01/20 »
Hi
I walked LEJOG via Snowdon, Scafell Pike and Ben Nevis from February to April 2019 in 1 pair of Inov-8 Roclite G 345 GTX. I reviewed them here: https://wildwalkinguk.com/2019/04/29/inov8-roclite-345-gtx-review-verdict/
They didn't stay waterproof but did about 1200 miles and still had tread on. I didn't get any serious blisters and didn't need to wear them in. The less weight in your pack and on your feet will make a massive difference on a walk like this. Myself if I did the walk again I would think about wearing the Inov-8 Roclite G 275 and waterproof socks. I didn't find it necessary carrying spare footwear. If you're walking in warm weather I would prefer a breathable boot rather than waterproof, so my sweaty feet would dry, which is the most likely thing making them wet. The graphene in the soles of the Inov-8 footwear has made them last a lot longer. Many people walking LEJOG wear out a number of trainers doing it, sometimes 3 pairs. So that's my main reason for choosing Inov-8, plus comfort.
Hope that helps.
Do you have a blog or twitter etc so we can follow your progress?

Jenmcc

« Reply #3 on: 10:41:32, 16/01/20 »
Hi
Yes, I can appreciate keeping the pack weight down as much as possible! We have only done one unsupported walk - a week in the Yorkshire Dales last summer - so far. We have plenty of experience of long(ish) distance walks but have always used baggage carriers. My previous and current Scarpa Terras have been brilliant on the Southern Upland Way, West Highland Way, Dales Inn Way and last summer in the Dales. I am reluctant to change now as I think these will be fine. My husband often takes trainers as well as his boots and swaps into them on ‘long’ road sections, hence wondering whether or not to do the same... I’m tempted by Roclite shoes though the price is a bit off-putting. I think I’ll have to find a local shop which sells them and try them for size and, more importantly, weight.
I’m intending to do a blog so will let you know the details. Actually might post another thread about this ...
Thanks

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:13:32, 16/01/20 »
I use Roclites . I have also found the GTX waterproofing not to be very useful - ok for puddles, not much use when it rains all day and when soaked take ages to dry- so would agree with WW that it would be better forgot GTX, be more breathable and dry quicker.
I love them mostly because as well as being comfortable they are so light - I will now pop into the kitchen to weigh them -

my size 7 Brasher Hillmasters  709 grams EACH (1418 grams pair)
               Roclites                   319 grams           (638 grams pair)

That is a lot of extra eight on each leg/hip.

Incidentally the sole of my Roclites is much grippier on wet rock than the Vibram on the Brashers though as they are older they do not have the new Graphene sole so can't comment on that.

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

andyapanel

« Reply #5 on: 13:00:17, 16/01/20 »
I have gone back to Roclite after flirting with Saloman
If boots are eventually going to leak, they might as well be light ones.
I have 345s but will be carrying Sealskinz for when they begin leaking.
As mentioned, the Graphene Grip is not hype, only slipping once on Offa's Dyke LDP

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:21:44, 16/01/20 »
Good to hear the positives on the Roclite's  just invested in a pair albeit the GTX Graphite pair, will just have to see how they perform this year.  Bought with the intention of doing a double Lyke Wake Walk with them.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

andyapanel

« Reply #7 on: 13:52:19, 16/01/20 »
I don't think you will be disappointed by their weight or grip; I bought GTXs, too.
I took WILDWALKING's advice and bought a pair of 275s, too (well Mrs Apanel did) They had to go back as I had overestimated the size I needed. Still waiting for their replacement which I plan to use on C2C later in the year.

Jenmcc

« Reply #8 on: 16:00:49, 20/02/20 »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried some Roclites in our local running shop and found the front part a bit wide for my feet (even bearing in mind they are likely to spread) but the main problem was that they dug in to my Achilles’ tendon at the back. I came away from the shop with some Hoka Torrents to try. They seem to be a similar weight and cushioning. I’m going to try them on the treadmill at the gym tomorrow. Does anyone have any knowledge/experience of them? Thanks

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:42:26, 20/02/20 »
My advice would be to stick with what has proven to work for you (so in this case your trusty Scarpas) :)

Of course you can try out new shoes, but make sure that you test them well on actual walks while carrying the weight that you are going to carry on your long walks. Some problems manifest themselves only after 100+ miles (I know from experience).

Also, don't rely on other people's recommendations for specific shoes. It is such a personal thing. What works great for one person can be disaster for somebody else.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Jenmcc

« Reply #10 on: 17:11:33, 20/02/20 »
Yes, I will be wearing the Scarpas most of the time when walking. I only intended the others for long stretches of road or other tarmac walking. However, it is a good point to try them out carrying the full load. And that full load will be increased if carrying the Scarpas :-(

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:35:48, 20/02/20 »
Yes, I will be wearing the Scarpas most of the time when walking. I only intended the others for long stretches of road or other tarmac walking. However, it is a good point to try them out carrying the full load. And that full load will be increased if carrying the Scarpas :-(

Yes, it's a point that many people overlook. When you carry a heavy backpack, your pose is different. Different muscles and ligaments are used. And you get more pressure on the front of your feet.

My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:57:29, 20/02/20 »
My advice would be to stick with what has proven to work for you (so in this case your trusty Scarpas) :)

Also, don't rely on other people's recommendations for specific shoes. It is such a personal thing. What works great for one person can be disaster for somebody else.
Too true, I can get away with some quite cheap shoes and boots.  The Merrells I bought on recommendation just crippled me.
Been using a cheap pair from Millets for the last few weeks, they seem good, and light as well.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

zuludog

« Reply #13 on: 11:50:35, 21/02/20 »
I realise we are in danger of getting into the boots v shoes argument, but nevertheless  here is my opinion -

Unless you are going to take in some serious mountain walking on your trip, I wouldn't bother with boots at all, I'd use trail shoes, since most, if not all your walking will be on paths , lanes, & tracks
Now I only wear boots on steep ground or in winter

I have a couple of friends who've done LEFOG, and they both wore trail shoes, and managed it well enough

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy