Author Topic: Hadrian's wall walking buddies.  (Read 1413 times)

Queenmargo

Hadrian's wall walking buddies.
« on: 13:02:16, 05/08/20 »
Hi. Completely new to this forum and I hope everyone is safe and well.
I'm setting out for Hadrian's wall this Saturday. Walking West to East.
Im doing it solo, but I was wondering if anyone would like to join me for a few miles any of the days I'm walking it 😊

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
Re: Hadrian's wall walking buddies.
« Reply #1 on: 22:39:25, 06/08/20 »
I was thinking I may be able to join you at some stage, but unfortunately still having issues with my legs so sorry it's looking doubtful.

MagnaDibble

« Reply #2 on: 21:43:26, 27/08/20 »
How did it go? I'm thinking of walking it in the next week or so but from east to west. Any tips?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:54:14, 28/08/20 »
I'm happy with the idea of 'walking buddies' but for me down South, its the advance warning time is the problem. I personally can decide in a day or two (I'm retired) but a route like Hadrians Wall is over 200 miles away so for me I have to consider cost, method of travel and the travel time involved. To justify that sort of distance and effort I would feel the need to walk a minimum of seven days.

Mind you it does make me think yet again about winter hiking and camping. For people like me, this summer has been wasted so my thoughts are about the winter but then I'm immediately put off by the thought of long hours of darkness in my tent. Definitely not my idea of fun as a lone hiker. Would group hiking be a good enough idea to help with this problem?

Queenmargo

« Reply #4 on: 10:47:46, 28/08/20 »
How did it go? I'm thinking of walking it in the next week or so but from east to west. Any tips?

Hey. Unfortunately I didn't finish it but I did get about halfway. 34 miles in 2 days.
I lost my phone cable for charging on day one, so couldn't listen to any music or books. Hurt a tendon in my knee and without music or a walking buddy, pain is not your friend.

However, I'm very happy with my experience and quite proud of my accomplishment.
My tips:
1. Cows are everywhere. Some younger bulls are [censored]. Got charged at once but a stern 'oij, cut it out!' saw me out.
2. Put sunscreen on even if it is cloudy and windy.
3. 2.5 litres of water is not enough. However, don't be shy and just ask a farmer for a refill. The worst they can do is say no.
3. Whatever you do on your first day, in the middle section expect to do 20-50% less. The total elevation is the same as doing Snowdon but it is up and down and repeat 10 times.
4. I packed 4 protein bars expecting there to be some shops on the way to refill my supply and there to be plenty of places where to get dinner or breakfast. This was not the case. I did not go hungry, but that was due to some food rationing.
5. Wild camping is very much possible, but might need to walk up to 3 miles more to find a suitable spot.
6. It is doable with an ultralight 6.5 kg bag( which I had, tent included). Thing that stopped me was pain in the leg not lack of anything I carried.

Leg all better now. Will definitely do some multiday hikes again 😊

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:51:14, 28/08/20 »
I've never seen a cow on the south side of the wall, I think I've been lucky.

Queenmargo

« Reply #6 on: 11:03:20, 28/08/20 »
At one point I was say on a fence. Literally. Surrounded by at least 10 cows each side. Including bulls and young mums.
As one of them started trying to eat my trousers for lunch I decided to sacrifice a pack of oatcakes as a payment for safe passage.

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:28:21, 28/08/20 »
Sounds like you walked the part of Hadrians Way I've yet to do.... Going East to West my daily walks have arrived at Banks. Unfortunately legs are still not up to doing much walking, (after nine weeks!) so have bitten the bullet, talked to GP referred me to Skeletal.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy