Author Topic: 214 Wainwrights  (Read 2962 times)

Crag Rat

214 Wainwrights
« on: 21:47:59, 21/08/06 »
Me and my wife are looking to climb all 14 Wainwrights.  Not sure how long it is going to take (only done 8 so far - although did that in a week).

We are going to the Lakes in September and I've planned a couple of days where we can really boost our Wainwright total; the Fairfield Horseshoe (8 Wainwrights) and the Kentmere round (9 Wainwrights).  Can anyone recommend any other good circular walks where we can notch up a good number of Wainwrights in a single day??  Or failing that, which ones do you recommend as a good days walking?

So far we have completed the following:

Catbells
Helvellyn
Helm Crag
Scafell Pike
Blencathra
Latrigg
Walla Crag
Bleaberry Fell
« Last Edit: 01:15:09, 06/08/08 by Chris »
....because it's there....

Chris

• Administrator
Re: 214 Wainwrights
« Reply #1 on: 01:10:13, 27/08/06 »
You'll do it. Only 206 to go!

marmot

« Reply #2 on: 21:33:53, 28/08/06 »
Cat Bells - Maiden Moor -  High Spy - Dale Head - Hindscarth - Robinson.

Helvellyn Ridge (2 cars or +bus).  Ambleside to St John's in the Vale or Dunmail Raise to St John's in the Vale.

Ullock Pike -  Longside - Carlside - Skiddaw - (Bakestall) - Skiddaw Little Man - Lonscale Fell - Latrigg.

If you're feeling really energetic: Great Borne - Starling Dodd - Red Pike - High Stile - High Crag - Haystacks - Grey Knotts - Brandreth - Green Gable - Great Gable - Kirk Fell - Pillar - Scoat Fell (+ Steeple) - 
Haycock - Caw Fell - Crag Fell - Grike.   Obviously could be shortened at a few points, one side of Ennerdale or the other maybe.

Crag Rat

« Reply #3 on: 15:44:09, 05/09/06 »
Cheers Marmot, I may well try one of those!  ;)
....because it's there....

marmot

« Reply #4 on: 15:30:07, 06/09/06 »
No problem.

Another I've thought of:

(Barrow) - (Outerside) - Causey Pike - Scar Crags - Sale - Eel Crag - Hopegill Head - Grisedale Pike.  Know as Coledale Horseshoe.

[email protected]

« Reply #5 on: 07:55:34, 07/12/06 »
theres a lot of good books out there if you are interested, particularly there is one that has all the 214fells in a series of circular routes, its called walking the Wainwrights, I cant remember the authors name at the moment but will have a look later and get it for you if you like ?

I'm currently on my third round of the 214 , doing them this time with my 8 year old son and I still enjoy every min of them , you will enjoy :)

Let me know if you would like any help putting the Wasdale & Eskdale Wainwrights fells into some order of round, I live there so can help a fair bit with those, but I still find a lot of the fun in devising new and interesting ways to grab as many as possible in one walk

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 07:45:37, 24/09/07 »
The wife and I are just back from a few days at Wythop Mill in the NW Lakes. We managed another 11 "Wainwrights" whilst we were there. That brings us up to 125 out of 214 on our second time around.
Don't try to do them so quickly. They are there to enjoy.

Dave
http://www.wainwright-wanderings.co.uk/

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy