Author Topic: Is 3kg going to be too heavy for a backpacking tent?  (Read 6297 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Is 3kg going to be too heavy for a backpacking tent?
« Reply #30 on: 09:38:55, 21/01/21 »
@richardh1905 - what tent have you got?

If just found another that is 20D which I think fits my criteria better.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001066889248.html

Comments?

It is a copy of the MSR Hubba Hubba design, a good spacious design suitable for 3 season use. But I can't comment on the quality. And no way is it a 4 season tent.

I have the Lightwave Trek T10, an older version of the Trail T10. Got it for £129 from the crux outlet site in my earlier post, but no longer available. One man tunnel with DAC poles and 40D silnylon - A real toughie. Was out in some really rough weather last summer, in particular took a real battering at the foot of Bowfell - I hardly got any sleep but the tent was just fine. https://wildaboutwalking.wordpress.com/lake-district/lingcove-beck-wild-camp/

Edit - the extended porch version is still available at a heavy discount. https://crux-outlet.online/product/t10-trek-xt?shop=1

Edit2 - customer service from Lightwave is nothing short of excellent.
« Last Edit: 09:43:35, 21/01/21 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

cpcnw

« Reply #31 on: 09:52:42, 21/01/21 »
The older version of the Wild Country Helm 2 is going cheap at the moment, as they have intorduced a newer variant, the "Compact", with shorter pole sections, so retailers are flogging off the old stock.
Was this you camped at the Grasmere YHA in March 2019?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 09:56:07, 21/01/21 »
No, 'fraid not - I don't have a Helm. I did consider buying a Helm 1 though.

cpcnw

« Reply #33 on: 10:11:13, 21/01/21 »
No, 'fraid not - I don't have a Helm. I did consider buying a Helm 1 though.
Just wondered as you'd mentioned it. Anyway you reminded me to look the Helm up. The porches are a bit small for me. It's a toss up between the Foen and that Hubba Hubba clone currently - but I reckon I have at least a few months to think it over what with Covid restrictions and me missus not going outside in anything less than 12 degrees.

The IoinX looks interesting too - thanks for all the leads.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 10:59:05, 21/01/21 »
Good call to wait - we are going nowhere for a while yet! Do shop around for that Hubba Hubba clone though, - there are quite a few available, I believe.

weston.front

« Reply #35 on: 12:38:42, 21/01/21 »
@richardh1905 - what tent have you got?

If just found another that is 20D which I think fits my criteria better.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001066889248.html

Comments?
What will happen to European manufacturing and tent design if we were all to purchase cheap copies from China who have no qualms with stealing intellectual property?
Following the road less travelled : westonfront.wordpress.com

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 15:26:13, 21/01/21 »
A man went to his Psychiatrist complaining that he sometimes thought he was a Bivvy and at other times a Teepee.

The Psychiatrist told him that he was too tense!  :-[

Cheap tents, I have been reading that it's going to be China's century so maybe we shouldn't be surprised that it might put pressure on European manufacturers. The tents in question are not exactly the same as the models its claimed they have 'copied' so are they actually 'stealing intellectual property?' And what criteria are applied to make the judgement that the 'intellectual property' has indeed been stolen? I have to confess that I know nothing about the subject, all I can tell you is that if I thought my purchase was a good price and if I wanted or needed that particular model I'm sure I would buy it. Would I worry about where it came from, as a capitalist no, but if I was an individual who might feel the need to make a good or bad judgement about capitalism, I'm just not sure?  :-\

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 16:47:37, 21/01/21 »
My "British" Terra Nova tent is also made in Vietnam. There is no reason to assume that because something is made in China or Vietnam it is lower quality than manufactured in EU/UK/US. I have spent in total about a year in Chinese factories and many factories are very good. If you specify a high quality product, they can manufacture a high quality product. Of course if you specify cheap garbage, they can make that too.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 17:09:13, 21/01/21 »
As gwm says, I doubt that they are exact copies. I personally would be very suspicious of the quality of the materials used in the manufacture of a cheap copy, especially the alloy poles - you do NOT want your tent to let you down when the weather turns nasty, especially if you are in a remote location high on the fells.

I did see a post on one forum that claimed that the quality of the tents made by a well known American premium tent manufacturer went UP after they started having some models made in China.
« Last Edit: 17:13:19, 21/01/21 by richardh1905 »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 18:24:16, 23/01/21 »
Oh dear, I was doing fine Mmmming and Aaahing over tents which included Naturehike and now more makers have now been named, so even more tent confusion in my head!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 10:31:09, 24/01/21 »
Looking at the Naturehike, Paria, Outdoor Vitals, Aricxi and the Hyke and Byke etc I think I'm drawn to the Aricxi and Hyke and Byke one-man tents mostly, except for the colours! I don't know if my 'colour blindness' works against me but I'd prefer not to own such a brightly coloured tent. Dark red, dark brown or dark green would suit me fine.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 08:58:51, 25/01/21 »
Just wondered as you'd mentioned it. Anyway you reminded me to look the Helm up. The porches are a bit small for me. It's a toss up between the Foen and that Hubba Hubba clone currently - but I reckon I have at least a few months to think it over what with Covid restrictions and me missus not going outside in anything less than 12 degrees.

The IoinX looks interesting too - thanks for all the leads.

Spotted the Foehn in the Terra Nova sale for £165.

https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/all-tents/2-man-tents/foehn-2-tent/

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 16:25:17, 25/01/21 »

Spotted the Foehn in the Terra Nova sale for £165.

https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/all-tents/2-man-tents/foehn-2-tent/

Terra Nova also gives you 30% off if you trade in an old tent (in any state, can be a piece of garbage!). But I don't know if they do that with tents that are already in the sale. (probably not)

I got my Terra Nova tent in 2015 and traded in a tent that at the time was 21 years old, was leaking because of UV-degradation and there was a massive hole in it because some kids on a campsite in Croatia had thrown a brick at it that went straight through. Anyway, I got a £400 tent for £280.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

cpcnw

« Reply #43 on: 17:50:58, 25/01/21 »
The Chinese are experts at cost savings and making things to a price. Carbon Film vs Metal Film resistors come to mind. With electronics a common exercise is to reduce the ratings of components in circuits and see how reliable said circuit is. If its just as reliable why go with the more expensive better spec component?

You can also make the argument that the Foehn 2 @ £165.00 is virtually twice the price of the Aricxi Hubba Hubba Clone @ £85

Would 2 of the Aricxi last as long? But more importantly would they take the same weather beating?

Sometimes you get what you pay for - sometimes, you don't!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 19:57:18, 25/01/21 »
With me, I consider another matter as well. At my age (75) I would expect my hiking/camping life to only go on for a short9ish) time, maybe 2-3 years if I'm lucky, so buying a Chinese tent, makes financial sense as I see it. If I compare it against my Marmot tent cost could buy a new tent for two years and still have money left over.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy