Author Topic: Pitching on sand  (Read 838 times)

weston.front

Pitching on sand
« on: 19:53:18, 20/01/21 »
Any advice on pitching on sand?  I am thinking of a multi-day coastal walk in the period between full lockdown and when the campsites open - i.e. against advice but not illegal.
Following the road less travelled : westonfront.wordpress.com

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Pitching on sand
« Reply #1 on: 19:56:01, 20/01/21 »
A large groundsheet and a Bivvy on top? No real need for pegs perhaps just stones at each corner.

weston.front

« Reply #2 on: 21:06:46, 20/01/21 »
I definitely plan to take a tent, I guess I was after advise on securing pegs in sand from other peoples experience.  I'd rather take my 1.2 kg single hoop tent, but if it came to it I could take my Soulo which doesn't need pegs, just a lump like me in it to keep it in place.
Following the road less travelled : westonfront.wordpress.com

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:25:20, 20/01/21 »
I've used plastic screw tent pegs in sand before now. Bulkier than modern pegs but worked. This was back in the days between A frame tents and geodesics, when it didn't stay up without pegs.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:42:19, 20/01/21 »
For quite a few years my wife and I have been taking a nylon tarp pus 4 fibleglass poles in suitcase-length sections, 4 guys and 4 long, v-section pegs to use for shade on Greek island beaches, and it is always necessary to position heavy rocks on top of the 4 pegs in sand.
Naturally a tarp is going to catch the wind more than a small tent, but if it is particularly breezy or gusty all but the heaviest rocks shift with the inevitable result that our shelter collapses.
Rocks on your guys will cause some wear to them, though you can easily replace these. However, if your tent is anything like mine your biggest problem is going to be stretching out the flysheet elastics tightly.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 00:33:00, 21/01/21 »
Sand is surprisingly hard and cold to sleep on
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:30:55, 21/01/21 »
A self supporting tent would be a good choice, then you can just weigh it down with the minimum of pegging out.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:32:36, 21/01/21 »
Tie your guys to carrier bags full of sand if there are no rocks available.

But better still, camp in the dunes!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:22:36, 21/01/21 »
Extra long guys and tie on whatever is handy (eg rock, piece of wood), then bury it in the sand.

Whitby Mick

« Reply #9 on: 10:37:00, 21/01/21 »
I have only once camped on a beach and never again. sand got into everything, and I mean Everything.
Retirement is like owning an old car, you must get as many miles as you can from it before it breaks down forever.

www.our-coast-to-coast.weebly.com

wbmkk

« Reply #10 on: 19:34:38, 22/01/21 »
Have seen a famous YouTuber from Scotland camping on sand

he used 'Delta Ground Anchor Ultimate Tent Pegs'

[size=2rem]

Clusterhead

« Reply #11 on: 22:54:11, 17/02/21 »
Just used normal pegs fairly windy too make sure you got a little brush to clean the zips cause the sand will be with you for the rest of your trip

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy