Author Topic: Where will yours be?  (Read 7298 times)

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
Re: Where will yours be?
« Reply #15 on: 08:52:58, 23/03/21 »
I think Kinder from the Snake Pass side is my most likely first target. It’s a decent walk, but not masses of ascent/descent.

If the weather turns out to be exceptional, I’d possibly go to the Lakes as do Blencathra, or do the Bowfell/Crinkle Crags circuit from Langdale. (I’m wary of whether car parks will be open in the Lakes, so Blencathra’s a safer bet).

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 09:18:37, 23/03/21 »
I think for me I will jump on a train going towards London and get off at Petersfield, or perhaps Haslemere, and then walk my way back to Chichester, and then catch the train home. Our train networks in the South offer so many opportunities to plan and walk short and long-distance routes between station to station. Mind you until I'm a bit more confident about Covid-19 I will still think carefully about using public transport or not.

I don't have to think about planning rail routes right now because I have a car. I gave up owning a car in January 2020 and then Covid-19 forced this one on me. When my MOT/Tax runs out I plan to get rid of it and not get another one. I'm not 100% yet how this will pan out? The eight 1cm holes I've drilled through the floor pan are doing a grand job at draining away the water that leaks into the car when it rains.

In the meantime, I've got a dental appointment, a hearing aid appointment, a second vaccine appointment, and an appointment to lay my mother in law and brother in laws ashes in the family grave in Windsor, and some other jobs to do so whatever I do as regards walking in April I need to look at my diary carefully.

If I get the chance to do a serious walk its going to be May and beyond for me.

andybr

« Reply #17 on: 09:41:03, 23/03/21 »
Maybe a bit unimaginative but probably the pub. Scarborough to Hayburn Wyke along the Cleveland Way and then back the same way after a couple of pints in the beer garden. To be fair I can do the walk now but the pub element is sorely missed.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 11:09:44, 23/03/21 »
I am tempted to have a go at the Aran ridge, parking in the small layby above Dolgellau, and traversing the ridge towards Bala.

Ive passed along the A470 so many times, over the years, but have yet to attempt the Arans.

Their just one of those outlying areas of Snowdonia, that requires two vehicles, as a double traverse of the ridge, and back, would be a very long day out.

Aran Ridge, that's on my bucket list, if we are allowed out to roam this year.

That's all dependant on the Cardiff crowd, and with areas of Wales both North & south receiving spikes in Covid, the right to roam where i want, may be denied this year.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 14:02:50, 23/03/21 »

I've been enjoying her programme. They are decent length walks with good info on what is on the routes. Last Friday involved walking to Whitby, so that's two episodes on the East Yorkshire coast, although yet to watch the last programme. It's on C5.

Did you see the one in Suffolk a couple of weeks ago? That’s my neck of the woods, we’ve done most of that walk but haven’t got up as far as Covehithe, must do that before it’s lost to the sea!

Andies

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 15:39:45, 23/03/21 »
Post deleted. Didn't read OP correctly :-[
« Last Edit: 10:01:20, 24/03/21 by Andies »

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 16:16:11, 23/03/21 »
Actually, thinking about it, Mel did ask for a 'hike' and I answered with a scramble. 

The proper answer is something from what I consider to be the UK's 'Walking Bible' - that is to say 'The Big Walks' (Wilson and Gilbert).  There are lovely routes in Scotland, Wales, Peaks, Lakes - all sorts.  I'm particularly draw to spending some time in Wales as I rarely manage to spend long there so this year, if the travel ban rumours are true, I'll prioritise spending a few days there.

This has a host of 55 of challenging walks which you can either fell-run (if you're fit) or use them as camping routes.  Now usually I don't bother with pre-made routes and enjoy finding my own way by maps, but some of these routes are a mix of everything I like about hiking - remote, physically challenging, stunning views and many are in all corners of the British isles.  The routes and timings are quite challenging though so I wouldn't recommend the routes for beginners.

Arduous routes, excellent prose, great photos.  I'd recommend anyone interested in coffee table walking books pick this up for some inspiration, even if it is a bit old now.
« Last Edit: 18:52:08, 23/03/21 by forgotmyoldpassword »

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 16:28:02, 23/03/21 »

My first foray will be a South Cave / Drewton circuit - it's my benchmark fitness circuit!  It's only a 20 minute drive from work so easily doable after work when the clocks change.  Other regular wolds walks are Brantingham (nice steep hill), Raywell (lovely carpets of bloobies in the woodland) and Welton (another nice steep hill and orchids in the woodland).

Didn't see Kate Humble's programme - I'll see if it's available on catchup telly  O0

I've not forgotten about our head-scratching map reading walk - we'll have to get something sorted out when things are a bit more certain  :)

Hebden Bridge is a nice place.  I'm pretty certain I've done a walk there .... PLEBBBBBB.... seem to remember I did a walk here with you?
Aye......thankfully I knew the way  ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Little Foot

« Reply #23 on: 17:14:57, 23/03/21 »
Did you see the one in Suffolk a couple of weeks ago? That’s my neck of the woods, we’ve done most of that walk but haven’t got up as far as Covehithe, must do that before it’s lost to the sea!

Yes I have watched them all. I remember that area looked a very nice walk, particularly with the woods by the coast. The woman talking about living there before her home was lost to sea was food for thought. I felt a pang of jealousy when she was talking about the storms she witnessed. I bet they were impressive.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 17:45:36, 23/03/21 »
... 'The Big Walks' (Wilson and Gilbert).  There are lovely routes in Scotland, Wales, Peaks, Lakes - all sorts.  I'm particularly draw to spending some time in Wales as I rarely manage to spend long there so this year, if the travel ban rumours are true, I'll prioritise spending a few days there.

Ah yes, The Big Walks. I first came across this book in the early '80s, and was captivated. Really want to spend a couple of days on Foinaven and Arkle. But I digress....
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 18:25:12, 23/03/21 »
Firming up on the Howgills sometime middle of next week; arranging to meet a friend whom I haven't met for ages.

Now, Bowderdale or Fell Head ..decisions, decisions.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 18:59:53, 23/03/21 »
Firming up on the Howgills sometime middle of next week; arranging to meet a friend whom I haven't met for ages.

Now, Bowderdale or Fell Head ..decisions, decisions.

There's no 'bad route' amongst those, I'd probably pick based on the wind strength on the day - but Fellhead using the Fairmile Road as a linking route would be my pick.  Black Force, Fellhead, Calders then loop around via Winder to the SW.  Bowderdale is great but prefer putting the wind to my back and walking off to the north (i.e. begin from the Rawthey side to the E). 

Good time to be out though, even using the kit and getting some exercise in a new area is going to feel like a holiday to me.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 19:11:40, 23/03/21 »
I’ll check rules closer to the time, if they allow train use, will probably do a walk in Edale to Hathersage area.

If train “out” then probably something in Baslow, Chatsworth Park, Bakewell area.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 19:18:19, 23/03/21 »
I am not chicken counting yet.  The case numbers are consistently high and have plateaued around 5k a day.  Big surges on the Continent, SA variant spreading, overseas travel ban in place until end of June..  What happens on the other side of the channel seems to find its way across.   I always have a stock of preplanned walks, when the day comes and the weather is right I shall pick one.  Sorry I can't be more positive yet but until we have completed the vaccination programme it seems foolhardy to consider a mass unlocking event.
Have a look at this map and note the belt of infection persisting in the north https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/interactive-map
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 19:44:27, 23/03/21 »
I agree, it’s all too woolly to name a day, which is why I asked WHERE your first walk will be, not WHEN. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy