Author Topic: Does anyone use a hammock when hiking?  (Read 907 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Does anyone use a hammock when hiking?
« on: 17:28:43, 22/07/19 »
I've read about them, I've heard how they used to be standard issue in the Navy and watched a few You Tube videos about them but  I've only met one hiker that used one routinely en route.

I saw this today which reminded me - https://www.huffpost.com/entry/hammock-tweets_l_5d2f604de4b02fd71dde82ff

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Does anyone use a hammock when hiking?
« Reply #1 on: 20:23:10, 22/07/19 »

Biggest drawback is that you need trees to string a hammock between, which rules out most of the places that I like to camp.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:50:39, 22/07/19 »
Biggest drawback is that you need trees to string a hammock between, which rules out most of the places that I like to camp.
Pack a brace of sky hooks - problem solved.
« Last Edit: 20:55:55, 22/07/19 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:58:22, 22/07/19 »
Pack a brace of sky hooks - problem solved.
They are hard to obtain. The Royal Navy bought most of them to use on aircraft carriers for the Harier jump jets. There may be some second hand ones available as the jump jets have gone out of fashion.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:03:17, 22/07/19 »
They are hard to obtain. The Royal Navy bought most of them to use on aircraft carriers for the Harier jump jets. There may be some second hand ones available as the jump jets have gone out of fashion.
I'm afraid the RAF cornered the stock for the F35Bs.  Best write to RAF Marham.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:40:43, 23/07/19 »

I don't think that I would get a good night's sleep suspended from skyhooks, they hardly make a secure belay - besides, I don't camp on El Cap!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:41:53, 24/07/19 »
Have come across a Dutch lady using a hammock at the Conca Gite/camping in Corse....strung up between two trees.
She was heading Northwards but left in the morning far ahead of me and never saw what happened for the overnights in the North of the route where there are few trees.
I guess good for keeping out of the way of the scavenging foxes that are at some locations a bit of a problem. I had my food bag snatched when on one of the lower routes on the island at Bonifatu.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:45:46, 24/07/19 »
Used one in Belize about one hundred years ago, or so it seems. The ground was mud or water. Trees all around and snakes. To say their not my favourite accomodation would be something of an understatement, I found them very uncomfortable.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy